IGNORED

New here

Walnutz

I have an ohmeter or a multitester..

I currently have a good transmission...leaky motor...the donor motor the trans on it has no second gear....so I want to mate that motor with my transmission the donor is an 83.

so that over winter I can fix the transmission from the donor and rebuild my motor with the leaky valve cover....

what color is the stator wires I got some heavy black or grey wires that go to the back left side the clutch side of the motor I also have some white ones I want to check them to see if I got the right one to start checking to see which part is faulty...in my charging system...

Wal, I LOVE those old 750 Hondas and have been around them quite a bit.. When the guys from Hondachopper.com helped you with the carb syncing on your Honda did they provide the instrument to do the sync with or do you have the tools? Also, do you have an ohm meter at your disposal?

They provided the sync tools yes I have an ohmeter...your not that far from me lol muskegon they just had a BBB there and I could not make it yet again...

okay so i tracke the gray wires down to the back of my engine it has to be the stator right?? the three white wires I tracked to the reg/rec.....so when I ohme tested the gray wires to eachother I got 1.1 1.2 so cool no big deal.....However when I ohm tested the gray wires to the motor..I.E I left the red one in the pin of the connector to the stator and then I touched the black one to the motor I got the same 1.1 1.2 so it looks as though I need a new stator or I could be wrong?

Find the harness with three white ones in it in the area you describe.. Those are your stator wires.. Look carefully at the terminal where those wires connect, it will be a terminal with only those three wires passing thru it, kind of an off white in color - maybe burnt brown.. I have had a LOT of problems with that terminal getting hot and melting causing issues - check those spade connectors carefully and make sure they are in good shape..

You can test those leads coming from the stator (unplug the terminal and test across the wires leading into the stator housing - not the ones leading toward the recifier).. With the meter set on ohms, put one lead on one white wire and the other lead on another white wire.. As I recall, 3.5 to 7 ohms is about what you should get.. Do the same with the other white wire to either of the the wires you just used - should be the same resistance.. Now check each wire to ground (just touch one wire at a time with a lead from the tester and touch the engine or frame in a bare spot) and you should get no reading..

Does the bike currently run at all? How many miles on her?

what color is the stator wires I got some heavy black or grey wires that go to the back left side the clutch side of the motor I also have some white ones I want to check them to see if I got the right one to start checking to see which part is faulty...in my charging system...

I replied in the other thread you posted on.....

You might want to focus on one problem in a thread, rather than trying to cover everything from carb synch to engine overhaul.

ok on my bike...the stator wires are grey....not white the reg rec are white....I did the ohm test my stator is bad.... I traced the grey wires to the motor...I traced the white wires to the reg rec.... so now what I need if anyone has one is a stator

You MKI owners can correct me but if I remember, there was a mod to add a cooler for the stator on the early bikes. While you have the cover off you will want to check to be sure you have that mod installed. Those that have that year can be more specific as to what to look for.

What all readings did you get to determine that the stator was bad?

Here is the full test for the charging system.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=81297

I think you missed the point on the trans swap. Even though your parts bike has a good 2nd gear. It will still fail even after you go through all the work to swap it it out. I realize that it is good now, but it will fail and you will be doing the trans swap all over again along with all of the time and expense of another gasket set. If you are going to do a trans swap you would be best off getting a trans from an 86 or newer to swap in there. The weak part was fixed in all of the 86 and newer. You can get a trans from all the way up to a 2013 and it will drop in.

The cooling kit consists mainly of a rotor (the spinning magnet around stator) bolt

that is drilled out and behind the emblem plate (on a 1200 its says YICS) a washer

sits with a lip facing in towards rotor bolt.

Oil sprays out of rotor bolt hole into cover and the washer redirects it back over the stator windings.

my donor bike has no 2nd......my bike has.....I did not know that I can drop in any transmission that is ****ing Awesome!! Thank you

thank thank you.......also I tested the stator in that same fashion using the ohm check.....and I touched the engine case and got a reading.......bad stator..

in other forums people have stripped bikes down and have spare parts......thought maybe this was a case for this one..

now what transmissions can I use anything from any Venture ??

my donor bike has no 2nd......

I am a little concerned of stated 2nd gear issue.

To try to clear things up, the 83 had 2 separate issues

1. the engine would skip out of second under power due to worn/soft transmission parts, and would get so bad, rider would just skip 2nd

-one or other engine may have already been upgraded for this issue-should be stamps near engine vin(punch parks)indicating repair

2. You are unable to shift up past a certain gear-could be 2nd, due to pins fall out of shift segment.

-Easy fix to upgrade shift segment without transmission repair/replacement.

You MKI owners can correct me but if I remember, there was a mod to add a cooler for the stator on the early bikes. While you have the cover off you will want to check to be sure you have that mod installed. Those that have that year can be more specific as to what to look for.

post #7 shows the cooling kit. http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=52939

I live in Fort Wayne anyone that lives in or around please feel free to call or text or facebook.....Walnutz ramblings is my face book name....

also if there is anyone available to come and help me synce my carbs that would be great to...260 492 3500 I have free texts I prefer calling.. but like I said texts are free...I would be happy as hell to meet anyone willing to come and hang out

I am a Father of four and I have been married for ten years.. My wife is a family officer for S.C.A.N.

I am a stay at home dad who also dabbles in wheeling and dealing for money. I do a little of this and a little of that in sales also I do side work ..

:301:

I'm from Fort Wayne too and now live in NC. But we can still talk and learn things ... Good to have you here.