IGNORED

big bike transport

TxVenture

Ok guys, have a question about transporting a VR behind a 5th wheel RV. Does anyone make one of the bike lifts that mounts on the back of a motor coach for a 5th wheel RV??

When retirement gets here, want to become full time 5th wheeler and need something to haul the bike on. Trailer behind RV will put me overlength in a lot of states.

Any ideas??

Don H.

You probably don't want to hang a venture on the back of a fifth wheel the frame of the trailer won't handle that much weight. Buy a toy hauler that is designed to haul it inside.

This is what we plan to do-there are some really nice toy-haulers out there. You would probably have to have the fifth wheel specially built to handle the weight of the bike on the back.

Have looked at the "toy haulers". Have to give up too much living space and not sure how well the seal between the haul area and the living area is. As this will be our ONLY home didn't really like the idea of having to sacrafice the space needed or the possibility of gasoline odors seeping thru into living area.

Don H.

Don, I have looked at some real big toy haulers, but for what they want for them, you can buy a bus type RV and install the lift type bike hauler on the back of it. Have a freind that sold him house and thats what they live in now, not a bad Idea, get tire of the place your at, just load up and move....

PS. I have a wedding to go to on the 19th, but we may skip it, It`s not my fault they are getting married!! LOL

I've looked at getting a toy hauler or go the Motor Coach route. I have decided to go the Motor Coach way. I can put the cycle lift on the back and still pull my vehicle behind it. There is also a golf cart that folds up and can hook onto your trailer hitch of your vehicle. www.rvrover.net that way you can have a battery/gas powered golf cart to take with you and use at the RV park. 5th Wheels are nice, but I didn't want to drive around the area in a big heavy duty truck. My choice.

Good luck in your search.

Ken:080402gudl_prv:

Guest TFD69

I too have been researching 5ers as a life option after retirement. I agree with you regards to the toy haulers using up to much living space for full timing. Most of the toy haulers are set up for the weekend warrior. I just want to get my Venture there and then ride it instead of driving the gas guzzler about. If I was buying new today then my 1st choice would be

New Horizons out of Kansas http://www.newhorizonsrv.com/ as they will custom build anything you want. What I want is a single bike bay with a hydraulic wheel chair access type side door ramp. Inside the garage, a electric lift that provides storage above the bike for my bike trailer and would double as bunk beds or extra storage when the bike was unloaded. Access into the RV from the garage would be through door hidden in the wood paneling of the entertainment center.

New Horizons and Teton are the only RV 5er manufacturers to receive a 10 out of 10 rating in the Premium class .

My second choice would be

Titanium out of Strathroy Ontario, http://www.glendalerv.com/2008/Titanium/Titanium2008.html they have two floor plans (36E41MPRVSA) and (PEARL SERIES Model 3136RBSS ) that are close but unless they would be willing to make some changes I would wait and see what the industry comes up with . Titanium has a 9 out of 10 rating in the Above Average class

Toy Haulers are a new concept and most of the manufacturers are just getting started. There is not much you can do with a used RV but use the platformed dolly or trailer behind the 5 wheel. The options others before me have suggested but would require structural modifications on the RV frame.

You have to be careful about towing behind the RV as the frame is not designed to distribute the weight safely and you may void any existing warranties and many states do not allow double towing

If you want to know more about my research just drop me a PM :canada:

Guest TFD69

I too have been researching 5ers as a life option after retirement. I agree with you regards to the toy haulers using up to much living space for full timing. Most of the toy haulers are set up for the weekend warrior. I just want to get my Venture there and then ride it instead of driving the gas guzzler about. If I was buying new today then my 1st choice would be

New Horizons out of Kansas http://www.newhorizonsrv.com/ as they will custom build anything you want. What I want is a single bike bay with a hydraulic wheel chair access type side door ramp. Inside the garage, a electric lift that provides storage above the bike for my bike trailer and would double as bunk beds or extra storage when the bike was unloaded. Access into the RV from the garage would be through door hidden in the wood paneling of the entertainment center.

New Horizons and Teton are the only RV 5er manufacturers to receive a 10 out of 10 rating in the Premium class .

My second choice would be

Titanium out of Strathroy Ontario, http://www.glendalerv.com/2008/Titanium/Titanium2008.html they have two floor plans (36E41MPRVSA) and (PEARL SERIES Model 3136RBSS ) that are close but unless they would be willing to make some changes I would wait and see what the industry comes up with . Titanium has a 9 out of 10 rating in the Above Average class

Toy Haulers are a new concept and most of the manufacturers are just getting started. There is not much you can do with a used RV but use the platformed dolly or trailer behind the 5 wheel. The options others before me have suggested but would require structural modifications on the RV frame.

You have to be careful about towing behind the RV as the frame is not designed to distribute the weight safely and you may void any existing warranties and many states do not allow double towing

If you want to know more about my research just drop me a PM :canada:

Anybody know what kind of restictions there are in the U.S. about pulling a Ball hitch

trailer behind a 5th wheel trailer. Got a 32 ft fifth wheel and a 10 ft, enclosed

trailer for my RSV. heading for Arizona.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/cdl_htm/lic_chart.htm

Not sure if it's even legal to do that with a non-commercial class A license. I'd check with your local DOT office.

• 10 months later...
Guest bengomez
Ok guys, have a question about transporting a VR behind a 5th wheel RV. Does anyone make one of the bike lifts that mounts on the back of a motor coach for a 5th wheel RV??

When retirement gets here, want to become full time 5th wheeler and need something to haul the bike on. Trailer behind RV will put me overlength in a lot of states.

Any ideas??

Don H.

I think you may try using big bike carrier like this one guys..

http://www.allramps.com/VersaHaul/VH-55/Full/Single-Motorcycle-Carrier-08.jpg

How do you think guys?

buell blast parts

I think you may try using big bike carrier like this one guys..

http://www.allramps.com/VersaHaul/VH-55/Full/Single-Motorcycle-Carrier-08.jpg

How do you think guys?

buell blast parts

Venture is over 8 ft wide and would be too wide for many places. You would probably get the eye from LEO's and rightfully so. Venture weighs 900 lbs. and class 5 hitches have a 500 lbs tounge weight, so it would be overloaded.