IGNORED

Point to 2nd Gen

Yammer Dan

When I got my Second Gen. (06 Black Cherry) I was concerned about the fairing being fork mounted instead of frame mounted. I thought it may be more unstable on the freeway, but have found that to absolutely NOT be true. Both my First Gen and Second Gen are stable at highway speeds, even when behind or passing a semi.....although I don't hang behind them for long, and I pass 'em pretty quick.:cool10:

Don't feel too bad Dan. Age is just a number!!!

My heart (not the one that goes tick) agrees with you 100% Kirby, its the rest of my body parts that I seem to have fight with to get em to agree with that:rotf:

When I got my Second Gen. (06 Black Cherry) I was concerned about the fairing being fork mounted instead of frame mounted. I thought it may be more unstable on the freeway, but have found that to absolutely NOT be true. Both my First Gen and Second Gen are stable at highway speeds, even when behind or passing a semi.....although I don't hang behind them for long, and I pass 'em pretty quick.:cool10:

Hey Unc,, you bring up a very interesting point.. I have wondered for many years about the difference between the two concerning long distance touring and the amount of input required from shoulders and arms during cross wind conditions.. I know the 1st gens dynamics pretty well and gotta say,, been blown around big time by Wyoming, Montana, Utah (mountain winds) and the like and, I always thought that the fairing mount was a big part of the reason those conditions were not tiring.. Have you done 12 or 14 hour days on both bikes in those conditions and can vouch for no difference in arm/neck/shoulder conditions at the end of the day??

Also, do you ride two up and if so, does that affect the input required in cross winds?

Really interested in your thoughts on this!!

Thanks

Puc

Did ride from central WV to Myrtle Beack to West Tenn. back to WV. The thing beat me to death from home to Tenn along with a lot of rain. It was wearing me out!!! Got to thinking about the time I hit Tenn and looking at those big full fringes hanging from my bars. (Won at last MD had to do something with them) Pulled them off and NEW BIKE!! From being ready to get rid of it to enjoying a Great ride til I fell over the hill(another story) I think the 2nd Gen may be a easier long distance ride but hard to knock my 1st Gen!!Given a choice of a new 1st or 2nd Gen it would be 1st.

The forward controls of the second gen, along with the pillowtop seats make it more comfortable on longer rides. As far as the fairing goes, I've not been able to notice any real difference. For me, 8 or 10 hrs is the most I've done in a day and, regardless of whether I'm riding the first or second gen, it's always my shoulders that begin to ache. Butt feels better at the end of the day when I'm riding the second gen. I've not noticed any real difference two up either, other than, ...with the stock leveling links....the second gen gets a bit squirrely in parking lots two up.

I think a good way to describe it is that the first gen is a sport / touring bike, and the second gen is purely a touring bike. (That looks derned good in the process):cool10:

Back in the day I thought First Gen. Was better of the two until I rode the Second Gen. And I have to say Second Gen. is better long distance runner of the two !! But I do wish I never sold my 83 should have listen to Peg that day but I dint :doh:

Yeah First Gen. Faster but I going for comfort which is Second Gen. So admit it Dan Second Gen. In comfort and distance !

If fuel capacity was same and fuel mileage was the same as my wing is without the sidecar then the '86 would be hands down the better of the 2 for long distance. As it is, guess which I have done all 3 IBA rides on. Yep the first gen

I don't know what it is but can see why old men like the 2nd Gen!! Rock solid on the road!! Just seem to track better and not dance around as much??? Big trucks don't seem to beat it up as much either??? Or am I getting old??:think:

is it Yammer Dan or oldman Dan that is the question. :stirthepot: