IGNORED

how "fast" are these bikes

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yrs are doing their thing to me too Steve but get taken by a Sportster??Something wrong somewhere. And I know I saw 120mph as I shifted to 4th on my 84 and rpms were somewhere above 8000 I'm pretty sure. Wasn't looking for numbers that day just listening to that 1200 sing!!Those that want to call me a liar need to grow a set of balls and I don't give a Rats behind what their numbers say.

:rotf:DeeGee, something isn't right with your bike if it's not as quick as a 1200 Sportster.

I know for a fact that my first gen will smoke a sportster 1200 night train.

And....it'll do it with me and my wife riding, loaded with luggage.

Wasn't even close.

It was a friend of mine on the Sportster that still is amazed at how my first gen runs.:cool10:

Yrs are doing their thing to me too Steve but get taken by a Sportster??Something wrong somewhere. And I know I saw 120mph as I shifted to 4th on my 84 and rpms were somewhere above 8000 I'm pretty sure. Wasn't looking for numbers that day just listening to that 1200 sing!!Those that want to call me a liar need to grow a set of balls and I don't give a Rats behind what their numbers say.

Pretty Sure sounds like there is some lingering doubt about this campfire tale.

:stirthepot: :rotfl: :no-no-no: :confused24: :backinmyday: :stickpoke: :buttkick:

Gary

Those that want to call me a liar need to grow a set of balls and I don't give a Rats behind what their numbers say.

http://i1007.photobucket.com/albums/af193/gdingy101/Bignutssm_zpsa766fe34.jpg

I have some of these stickers coming. Don't really need them, but I can hand one to loser in grudge match. Sort of like Robert Duvall in Apocolypse Now, when he was tossing cards on enemy's bodies on beach.

Gary

Lol! All this talk has got me pumped. My bike ran like poop first time I took it out. Wasn't impressed. Could be because I own a cr500 and after riding that everything feels like a moped.

I've since put new plugs and wires and just ran the sea foam thru it last night. I'll be taking it out tonight for a sea foam beating. See how she performs.

I did all that, ran several cans of Seafoam through my bike and my carbs still have plugged pilot jets. Don't count on "mechanic in a can" fixes. Many times the only fix is to get into those carbs with a .009" guitar string reamer and see what comes out of the jets OR just buy new jets.

I am not going to encourage anyone speeding on a Venture by giving any credence that a Venture would possibly do 120mph in 3rd gear. Bald face lie.

A venture with stock heads on it will not do 10K rpm. I've tried. It takes some secret modifications for that. Tweety will do 10K though.

Gary

That bike must be really really fast!! That's the only way I would call a man a liar. If I had a bike I could get away on!!! Of course we will just have to TAKE YOUR WORD FOR IT!!!!

Syscrusher,

You aren't that far away, maybe someday we can meet up. I have a Carbtune if you haven't synched your carbs yet. Or maybe you can line up that burley 2L twin against the VR and do a real life test:thumbsup2:

If you were to bring your Carbtune to Omaha we could do both of those things :).

Otherwise I should probably make the trip over your way but next week I will be posting an ad to sell my "pretty car" and won't be able to leave here till that is done. Soon though?

How fast does a Harley Davidson 883 Sportster go?

0-60 mph 6.4 sec.

1/4-mile 14.70 sec. @ 88.69 mph

Horsepower 44.8 hp @ 5950 rpm

Torque 48.5 ft.-lb. @ 3400 rpm

Top speed 104 mph

I am not impressed. My Yamaha XS 750 would do WAY better than that.

I did all that, ran several cans of Seafoam through my bike and my carbs still have plugged pilot jets. Don't count on "mechanic in a can" fixes. Many times the only fix is to get into those carbs with a .009" guitar string reamer and see what comes out of the jets OR just buy new jets.

A good Sea-Foam soak has been known to resolve this. It takes time and doing it correctly. And I use a little more than Sea-Foam. But I'm not a expert. I just ride.

A good soak will cure "most" carb problems.

Here we go again. You will need: Sea-Foam:

:Piece of fuel line about 18 inches long same size as on rear of fuel pump. About any cheap line will do.

:1/2 Pint or so of fresh gas:

:Set of small vise grips

:Screwdriver to open drain plugs on carbs:

:Container to mix Sea-Foam and gas.

Mix about 2/3s can of Sea-Foam with about 1/3 fresh gas. I have done this with pure Sea-Foam but restarting is hard.

I use vice grips to close off fuel line coming from tank because those old petcocks do not like to be messed with. Deal with that later but if your petcock works good just shut it off. If not here we go. Remove side panels to get at carbs. Find rear of fuel pump. On left of bike as you are sitting on it. Clamp off line going to rear of pump and rmove from pump. PLace your piece of line in it place. Leave for now. Take screwdriver and open all drain plugs and drain as much as you can from carbs. Drain screw is on bottom right corner of carbs as you face them on bike. Hopefully you will get something out of each carb. When you have them drained close them, Place line into Sea-Foam and turn on switch. You will hear fuel pump clicking. It should suck the Sea-Foam into the carbs. Let it cycle until you think carbs are full. Start bike and let it run a few minutes. Watch your mix and don't run out. When you are sure carbs are full of mix shut bike off. Rehook everything as it was. Don't restart now. Leave it sit at least overnight. I've left them 2 or 3 days. Won't hurt a thing probally helps. When you restart it will Cough.Smoke,Fart, Belch,Sneeze and a few other things. This has cost me a set of plugs at times. It will bring stuff out of there that will scare you. But after you get the Sea-Foam out I BET it runs better. I have done this several times on stubborn bikes. Using Sea-Foam as recommended with prevent 95 per cent of carb problems. I have used other mixes for this but Sea-Foam is safe and will not harm carbs. I use a mix of BerryMans Chem Tech, Sea-Foam and gas on really dirty ones and have used pure Chem Tech. Get it at Wally World.