IGNORED

Stator wires

crazygaucho

my charging system doesn't work

RR tested ok and

at the RR plug tested the stator ok

I've read somewhere that there is a 3 white wire connector with the stator windings

on the left side only found a 3 wire connector with different colors wires and very thing

does any one know of another location ?

The stator wires that you are after come out of the very back edge of the left side engine cover and run to the RR. some times the wires are white and sometimes yellow, they should be fairly heavy wires. There should be a connector between the stator and the RR. To test the stator or the rectifier you do the tests from this connector.

You may have run your tests on the wrong thing if it was multi colored thin wires.

Gaucho I think I found them the other day while looking for something else. Where they run is around the back of the motor way under the fuel pump aea. But like Flyin said you need to find the regulator and test them there. I think its up under the bike somewhere. thats one thing I thankfully have not had to mess with on this bike.

The regulator is right in front of the oil filter, it is held on by two bolts, drop it and the there is connector on it , the harness is long enough to allow you to pull it out so you can easily disconnect it. The wire in that connector comes straight from the stator.

Start the bike and test from pin to pin in the connector, I forget the exact voltage that you should see but should be something north of 16 volts AC.

So Yam did away with the dreaded 3 spade terminal in the harness spliced between the stator and regulator on the 2nd Gen? If so, I would also check the connector, wherever it is, that connects those 3 stator wires into the regulator for condition Craze... Sure had my share of problem with em on the 1st gens, lots of amp load there and it doesnt take much resistance in that terminal to cause heat buildup damage..

Never worked on one of the new fang tangled 2nd Gen motors but, you should be able to do an ohms test across the 3 matching wires coming from the stator too.. It seems like 3.5 ohms rings a bell but thats 1st Gen thought - check the book for specs.. Those coils should read pretty close to the same.. Also do a resistance to ground on each..

just found the connector with the 3 white wires.

is under the coolant reservoir !

good news is tested ok with ohmmeter no grounded, equal resistance on all 3

also put my voltage meter and just increasing rpm a little goes to 80 volts AC

Bad news is the bike still doesn't charge :depressed:

this is getting personal now

if the storm allows me going to get pins to puncture insulation too see if makes a good connection

just found the connector with the 3 white wires.

is under the coolant reservoir !

good news is tested ok with ohmmeter no grounded, equal resistance on all 3

also put my voltage meter and just increasing rpm a little goes to 80 volts AC

Bad news is the bike still doesn't charge :depressed:

this is getting personal now

if the storm allows me going to get pins to puncture insulation too see if makes a good connection

Time to swap out the rectifier.... Easy. Take out the 2 bolts, drop it, unplug it, clean the contacts, plug in the new one, bolt it back on.

thanks condor! yeah you make me feel better because I was thinking the same thing

I had it in my hand a couple of times and tested ok but I can get one for about 30 Bucks and I wouldn't mind have an spare if is not it

Make sure if you pick one up off eBay that it comes from a late model bike. The newer the better. Ask questions.... If the seller sez 'Duh??' move on to another.

Jack-

Isn't there an aftermarket rectifier out there?

Dave

Hi Dave, Yeah, Dano had a deal on some a few years ago. He could pro'bly talk more intelligently than I ever could about them.... I can't even spell the name, but the older Indians used them, and that's where he got them. Surplus. They are not a plug and play. Dan had to install the one in the '99 up in Cody for me. What better guy to do it.... :thumbsup2:

Hi Dave, Yeah, Dano had a deal on some a few years ago. He could pro'bly talk more intelligently than I ever could about them.... I can't even spell the name, but the older Indians used them, and that's where he got them. Surplus. They are not a plug and play. Dan had to install the one in the '99 up in Cody for me. What better guy to do it.... :thumbsup2:

Dano is the best!!

This is the one I was thinking about:

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=68374

It's listed for the 1st Gen but I would think it would work equally well for the 2nd Gens.

Make sure if you pick one up off eBay that it comes from a late model bike. The newer the better. Ask questions.... If the seller sez 'Duh??' move on to another.

The ones on eBay for about $30 are new but of course not OEM they are aftermarket (Chinese I'm guessing)

before I order going to check if I get the same AC voltage at the RR plug

Dano is the best!!

This is the one I was thinking about:

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=68374

It's listed for the 1st Gen but I would think it would work equally well for the 2nd Gens.

It'll work on the 2ndGen as well. Haven't had a charge problem since Cody. That's not to say it's a cure-all, but so far knock on wood....

just purchased this one will see how it works ..........it should arrive before Tuesday

when I was looking at the original from a dealer in the Yamaha bag says made in china and was over $100 so I take a chance with this one :fingers-crossed-emo

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281141551628?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#vi-ilComp

the Rectifier arrived yesterday holes and plug matches is just a little smaller so will see how well dissipates heat the most important thing is that it WORKS !!! my bike is charging again if it last awhile I going to buy another just to have an spare because I know that if I have an spare I will never need another again lol

want to thanks everyone that helped me :cool10:

Dan

finished putting everything where it belongs I'm really surprised neither spare or missing screws lol......... took the bike for a short ride

never checked the other rectifier but this one gets really hot you can barely touch it

is it normal???

I guess time will tell

my bike is working fine with the aftermarket RR .

tested it one more time to avoid any surprises and for awhile my voltmeter wasn't going over 12.4 V-12.6V no matter how hard I rev the bike !!!!

I was thinking it was broken again but, as soon as the fan kicked on, and starved the battery a little, my voltage went up to the desired 13.8v!!!!!!!!!!!!

so the original might've been ok !!!(I will test it some other time)

this is new to me,I only knew of some old Cadillac that worked that way

bottom line if your battery is completely charged do not expect to read 13.8v your regulator will kick on only when needed (which is awesome for the battery)

hope you guys understand what I'm trying to say with my broken English but our regulators are very unique just as our bikes

Dan

so the original might've been ok !!!(I will test it some other time)

this is new to me,I only knew of some old Cadillac that worked that way

Dan

In your original post you just stated that you battery wasn't charging. One of the questions should have been.... 'at idle??' Our bikes only charge when the rpm gets above 2000rpm +/- The original just might have been OK.... And what you perceived as a bad charge system might have been because you were checking it at idle??? I'm not sure what controls the charge gate, but if it is the rectifier the new one may bypass that requirement?? Anyway it looks like you have any potential problem solved...

if the battery is completely charged it doesn't make any difference if you rev the engine over 2000 RPM it will only begin to charge when needs it, in my case was when the cooling fan came on.

that is what made me think that the charging system wasn't working

I was testing it with a battery that had just received a full charge

I don't know if there is a significant difference in the RR between a 1st and 2nd gen. But on a 1st gen the voltage does not drop once the battery is charged. It's 14.0 all the time that the RPMs are up.

This is the first that I have heard of a 2nd gen having a "smart" regulator to vary the voltage output based on the battery state of charge. But then I have never worked on the charging system of a 2nd gen either. :confused24:

If this is the case, I might want to put a 2nd gen RR on my 1st gen.