IGNORED

Someone wanted a TRIP report on our trip West. Quess who

bikenut

Well here is a trip report of our west trip we did first part of June

We did rename this ride

THE WHAT COULD HAPPEN DID HAPPEN RIDE

What a Ride

What could happen did

Here is the list of things the happened on this trip.

1. Bills Trigger stopped working so 3 day layover for parts

2. I blew the front tire at 55mph Stayed upright till the end

3. 2 days later I got a rear flat with a nail , 3 days layover for parts.

4. Dennis lost his chaps at some gas stop. did not put back on bike.

5. I lost my rear brakes 3 times in the mountains from overheating. Boiled the fluid. still had front brakes

6. Stator went out on my bike in Mitchell Sd. 2 day layover for parts.

7. My shift linkage fell off 65 miles from home. Fixed in 5 mins . Had to tighten the bolt back up.

8. Bills fan quit working trackedit down to a filter inline to the fan was broke.

9. Bills bike started to leak antifreeze. Just the rubber plugs leaking. quick fix

10. I lost the trailer key set to get into the trailer but Bonnie had some of the keys on her as spares but not the one to remove the trailer from the bike. They were found at the last hotel we were at and they mailed them home for me

As for the weather you name it cold ,hail but did not ride in it, wind, snow, rain two days only, Hot 118 in the desert 129 behind the windshield at 75 mph. All we needed was some BBQ sauce because we were cooked well done.

But all in all it was a great trip. We all had a great time and kept on smiling all the time. Would I do it again You bet we would.

After this ride Bonnie and myself now have road our bike from Wisconsin to all the lower 48 states and all the provinces of Canada that touch the USA except New Brunswick and Nova Scotia. That will be in two years when we go for Lobsters again in Maine.

We have also addedtwo more bells to our bike for better and safer riding. We each gave a bell to each other.

Our 18 day ride ended up to be 27 days and a cost of $2400.00 more for me with wrecker costs and all the new parts that was added to the bike and labor. I could have done them all in my shop but that was 3000 miles away. Just glad all the shops that helped me were there at time of need.:thumbsup2:

On this trip we road in 16 states , one Canadian Provenance BC and put on 6800 miles , Two tires and one stator LOL Still was a great trip.

Edited by bikenut

The tires I had on were the Michelin commander II but the blow out was not the tire it was the Valve stem blew out of the wheel. Maybe from running 118+ degree temps when we crossed the desert I have no idea. I just put a new one in at my shop when I put both tires on new. Now the front tire has a metal valve stem like the rear tire .

If you want to know something to have on a trip is make sure you have a small air compressor along on trips because all I had was the CO2 pump up kit and it did not blow the tire up full with 3 CO2 set off so I have now that small Slime air compressor on my bike made for motorcycles and have some tire plugs so you can make it to a safe place to get a new tire. Wreckers are not cheap to come and get you in the middle of no were. LOL:confused24: I found out the hard way

me fixing my bike.jpg

Wow. I am speechless but happy for you and your memories. The worst that happens to me on the road is, ah, well, just scenery. You got real memories! Glad you kept the right attitude. Did you take a page from Cowpuc's book: “The difference between an adventure and an ordeal is attitude"

Good on ya!

VentureFar...

WOW!!!! Again,,, WOW!!! Your beginning report here makes me ache to get out there, make more great friends, feel the heat of the desert again and SMELL the fresh mountain/desert air!! That smiling face in the picture of you working on your bike tells the real story of the ride unfolding into a true, epic adventure!!

You folks DID IT and WHAT AN ADVENTURE it sounds like you had:clap2::clap2:- WISH WE HAD A STANDING OVATION ICON THINGY CAUSE YOU HAVE EARNED ONE!! Thank you Bikenut for describing in detail for us readers how flexible a cross country touring "Bike Nut" must be in both their attitude, gratitude, schedule and even eating habits.. Personally,, I cant do the BBQ thing cause it gives me heartburn so I gotta cook with natural skin salt BUT,, dont sound like a bad idea for those who can tolerate it - an interesting thought though really,, seeing you riding across the desert coated in BBQ sauce would make for a great story,,, a person could have a LOT of fun with just a few pictures of that!!:rotf: Hmmmm,, wonder if my riding partner would be willing to......:stirthepot:

THANK YOU Bikenut for sharing with us and THANK YOU for the pics,, sharing the memories of your outstanding adventure mean more to us out here than you can possibly know!!

I look forward to shaking your hand someday and hearing some stories in full detail! Until thats possible, ride safe my friend!!

Let er buck!

Puc

Oh,, by the way Bikenut,, that sure looks like a picture of one of the most gorgeous places on the planet,, Crater Lake.. A man could get lost in his own thoughts just looking at that pic!! Maybe wrong but I just hadda ask!

If it is,, did you guys bump into any greedy lil chipmunks and funny looking birds up there?? You know,, the kind that take every cracker ya ripped off from Wendy's to stave off starvation and leave nothing but a squeek in the way of a thank you...

BEAUTIFUL PICS!