IGNORED

WARNING!! my personal e-mail has been hacked.

saddlebum

My personal e-mail has been hacked and a lot of junk mail has been sent out through my account. If you recieved email from Ben Bennink or saddlebum@hotmail.com DO NOT OPEN IT.

I am not sure when this actually occurred but the most recent download I made was the TYRE mapping program which I downloaded yesterday. Whether or not this is the source I am not sure.

Edited by saddlebum

Guest tx2sturgis

A great email service to look into is Fastmail.fm

Free for the basic trial service...upgrades do cost a few dollars per year.

There are lot of domain choices available for a personalized email address.

Check into it if you want something a lot better than hotmail.

:happy34:

You don't necessarily need to change your email addy, just your password to get into your email account.

The hackers like yahoo and hotmail because there is no limit as to how many wrong passwords can be entered. So the find what they believe is a valid email addy and then have a computer keep sending random passwords until it hits the right one and logs in. They then spam like crazy till you catch them and change the password. In my contacts I have all of my email addresses so the spamers will endup sending me spam from myself to all of my computers at home and at work. I also have a fictitious contact of aaaaaaa@aaaaaaaa.com. this one will always bounce and since it is at the top of he list it Will be in the first batch sent. AS soon as I see that bounced email I know it is time to change the password again.

Guest tx2sturgis
You don't necessarily need to change your email addy, just your password to get into your email account.

The hackers like yahoo and hotmail because there is no limit as to how many wrong passwords can be entered. So the find what they believe is a valid email addy and then have a computer keep sending random passwords until it hits the right one and logs in. They then spam like crazy till you catch them and change the password. In my contacts I have all of my email addresses so the spamers will endup sending me spam from myself to all of my computers at home and at work. I also have a fictitious contact of aaaaaaa@aaaaaaaa.com. this one will always bounce and since it is at the top of he list it Will be in the first batch sent. AS soon as I see that bounced email I know it is time to change the password again.

Exactly my point. Why use a broken email system? One that gets hacked so often you have to develop strategies to fend off hacks and spam....

When it's free...you get a service thats not that great...but it IS free.

Do yourself a favor and check out Fastmail. I have been using it for many years and have NEVER had to change my password. No spam ever gets sent from it. You wont lose your hotmail addy because you can set fastmail to retrieve your email from hotmail, yahoo, gmail etc.

Yep...you might spend $10 or $20 a year.

But it always works and doesnt require you to try work-arounds and such to keep the spammers at bay.

You can also have several email addresses ...one for work, one for personal use...even some 'throw-away' addresses if you like.

I dont make a thing if you switch...just for disclosure.

:happy34:

https://www.fastmail.fm/help/ourservice/security.html

https://www.fastmail.fm/help/legal/privacy.html

https://www.fastmail.fm/help/ourservice/reliability.html

Edited by tx2sturgis

My personal e-mail has been hacked and a lot of junk mail has been sent out through my account. If you recieved email from Ben Bennink or saddlebum@hotmail.com DO NOT OPEN IT.

I am not sure when this actually occurred but the most recent download I made was the TYRE mapping program which I downloaded yesterday. Whether or not this is the source I am not sure.

I just got one from you. I recognize the format that is popular for spamers to use.

Make sure that you have a strong password. A strong password will have upper and lower case letters, numbers and symbols, and be at least 12 characters long. The hackers do not want to work that hard to crack it. There are plenty of emails to crack that have easy passwords.

I scanned my computer and found no malware then proceded to change my PW. So far I seem to be OK now. My daughter opened the link she got from me and now her e-mail is passing out the spam. Hopefully I have it nipped.