IGNORED

Buying a hot weather jacket

Double D

:mo money:I am looking at buying a hot weather jacket. So far I am looking at the Joe Rocket Phoenix 4.0 Mesh Jacket and the Tourmaster Draft-Air Mesh Jacket. The Motorcycle Super store has a great price on these. Anyone have any experience with these jackets and this store?:2143:

Those are the same prices you can get at New Enough, which is a featured supplier on this forum. Plus, they'll donate to this site when you purchase from them.

Joe Rocket Phoenix 4.0:

http://tinyurl.com/yp53e7

TourMaster Draft:

http://tinyurl.com/25mthc

I personally own a TourMaster Breeze jacket which I am extremely delighted with. However, based on the retail pricing and the features (the Joe Rocket comes with a detachable liner), it would seem the Joe Rocket would be the better value of the two!

Terry

David, New Enough Has Tour Master Mash jackets and great prices as well some kick back to Venture Rider Web site. I Have ordered couple times from that site and procesing and shiping are fast. I Personaly belive Tour Master has best products and afordable prices.

http://www.newenough.com/protective_apparel/mesh_jackets_and_pants/tour_master/draft_air_mesh_motorcycle_jacket.html

Good Luck with shoping.

Ops Blackjack Was faster but we want to say same... I Think you have to type venture rider on checkout or something...

I have the Joe Rocket mesh jacket with the zip out liner and I must say it is perfect.. It has soo much mesh(with body armour)that when the temp's hit the 90's it is very refreshing, but I always carry the liner with me just incase of rain or cooling off summer night temps..

Thanks, Dan, for pointing out what a great company New Enough is to work with, which I overlooked mentioning. I have ordered several times from them, with prompt shipping times and exceptional customer service. They are tops on my list!

Terry

Guest KitCarson

I have more than several of these textile type jackets.....several are what are called all season.....have water proof and insulated liners......with the outside being a mesh for summer use.....three jackets in all basically

Between these two particular jackets, I vote for the Joe Rocket...it comes with a waterproof liner......which I can tell you from experience is quite nice .

Besides it is available in Yeller!!!

I have therJoe Rocket but it is the one that is leather and removable leather outer to mesh..It also has a rain liner so my Fav is Joe Rocket. Now this is pricey but at the time I struck a VERY good deal with my Yamaha Dealer..(They were trying to make me Happy) http://www.newenough.com/protective_apparel/leather_jackets_and_pants/joe_rocket/super_ego_leather_motorcycle_jacket.html

Thanks Tom .. but that is a little pricey for me. If I spend that much on a jacket I will not have anything left for hotels for the Natchez ride.

Now KitCarson why would I buy a YELLOW jacket riding a Black bike? It looks like I may order the Joe Rocket in the Silver. :2143:

i have a first gear mesh jacket. got the liner and armor out of it. if you buy one get a light color to reflect the heat. i rode from st. louis to blairsville georgia last year 95 plus degrees all the way. they do keep you cool. the one thing you have to do is drink lots of liquid because they will make you sweat and the air coming through the mesh. evaporates the sweat and has a great cooling effect. when allanh and i got to nashville we were begining to dehidrate. i got a little sick untill i drank alot of liquid. brand is'nt that important ,if it is comfortable and good quality. a light color is very important. :)

Guest KitCarson
Thanks Tom .. but that is a little pricey for me. If I spend that much on a jacket I will not have anything left for hotels for the Natchez ride.

Now KitCarson why would I buy a YELLOW jacket riding a Black bike? It looks like I may order the Joe Rocket in the Silver. :2143:

You should buy a yellow jacket so you can look like a bumblebee!! It is a joke......the southeast group knows if I have a jacket it will have yellow on it somewhere!! I was just messing with you........but seriously.......a light color is best.....quite important in fact.....around here it gets hot enough to melt rocks......I mean hot!! the mesh really does work.....too well.......it as you move evaporates and cools you off.....but will cause you to dehydrate if not careful.....

I wear a cotton T-shirt under the jacket in the summer...and carry a couple gallons of water...drink some....and just pour some on top of myself...so long as the t-shirt is damp......is like air conditioning.....does work well.

KitCarson, I knew it was a joke, no harm in joking around. But seriously, I will either get the white or the silver Joe Rocket. And I agree about dehydration, I usually carry a small cooler in the passenger seat when I ride alone and carry lots of water. If my wife rides with me, I don't need a cooler because she is always wanting to stop to see if something is on sale. :banana: Last year on our 8 day trip she was mad because she did not have any place to carry things for the grand kids. This year I will use that excuse to buy a Piggy Backer for the trip.:thumbsup2: Another thing, wonder if a cool vest would work well under the mesh jacktet. I used one last year under my TourMaster Jett Jacket and it did OK until it got in the high 80's then the jacket had to go. It was just to hot to wear.

Guest KitCarson

Have never tried the vest......but do just keep my T-shirt wet and have a couple of those long headband type ties full of some kind of crystals..you soak them in water and they swell up .....tie one around your neck .....this also helps......get them at Walmart's .....for about 4 or 5 dollars.........around here we consider 80,s a cool day!! Lot of days in the range of 92 to 98.....last year we had 18 straight days of over 100 degrees......and a week of 107 degrees......nothing works then....except shade.......but I will be looking for a vest.....and will try it out....is now on my want list.

:mo money:I am looking at buying a hot weather jacket. So far I am looking at the Joe Rocket Phoenix 4.0 Mesh Jacket and the Tourmaster Draft-Air Mesh Jacket. The Motorcycle Super store has a great price on these. Anyone have any experience with these jackets and this store?:2143:

Just about any mesh jacket with armor will work. I picked up a FieldShear mesh w/zip out off Ebay for $64.00 a while back, and it's better than expected. MOF it's nice. Wore it to Ft Collins and back. It's black and in 105 degs it was not uncomfortable. Sure dehydrated me tho. Took two days to get the fluids back up.

Hey KitCarson,

Here is the vest that I wear under my jacket. It works really well most of the time and will probably do better under a mesh jacket.

http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/detail.cfm?model_ID=42&Category_ID=8&manufacturer_ID=468&product_ID=22958

:2143:

Dave, that looks a lot like the cooling vest, and same price, that I bought before the 8k mile, 6 week trip that I did last summer. I actually left without it and when I realized it, rode an extra hour to go home to get it! But I'm glad I did.

It did real well under my mesh jacket, but over 90 (once I saw 106 on my thermometer) it doesn't last 5 hours like they claim :no-no-no:! It would last an hour and a half at most. I would have about a half hour without it, getting to the next gas stop!

Both are highly recommended!

Guest Vermincelli

this has always been a major issue with me. I can't stand heat (anything over 85 is HOT to me) and finding something that's not going to boil me has been a pain in the butt.

My one solution a couple years ago was to wear motocross armor under a motocross jersey. Looked a little goofy but it was protection and the airflow was great.

Now I may have to try the Rocket too. Yellow is a plus :D I won't ever wear black again for summer gear.

Guest KitCarson

Thanks for the vest info.....I am going to order one Friday.......still looking.....this one you have shown is polymer embedded fabric.....this same vest is available at several places in fact at motorcyclesuperstore for 39.95. Looked on the newenough site....they do not offer it........some other internet places offer similar vests....same material for as low as 34 dollars.....but

Anyone know of a vest that has the chemical crystals in it? That will actually fit under your jacket......those headbands I have will last just about all day......my T-shirt method and pouring water over myself at the gas stops lasts about an hour...... I would think a vest with those crystals in it would last for a days ride......those headbands do......out fixing a busted water line in 100 degree temps....tools get so hot you cannot pick them up....headband works great.......on the bike I tie one around my neck.......so still looking for a good vest....with the crystal compounds in it.

.................................................. motorcyclesuperstore for 39.95. Looked on the newenough site....they do not offer it........some other internet places offer similar vests....same material for as low as 34 dollars.....but

Anyone know of a vest that has the chemical crystals in it? .............................................................................

The link that Dave posted has them for 29.95. I don't know what is in mine or where to get it with chemical crystals. But ask Yammer Dan, I think his neighbors make their own chemical crystals!?!? :confused24:

Kit,

There was a thread last summer about cooling vests that you might want to review:

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=12930

I purchased a vest and a cooling beanie from Forestry Suppliers last year and they work very well, indeed! On really hot days you will want to re-soak the vest frequently to improve its' cooling capabilities. I carry a super-large freezer-quality Ziploc in my trunk so that when I stop I can throw ice, water, the vest and the beanie in it. After about ten minutes I am good to go!

You'll also like the prices:

http://www.forestry-suppliers.com/product_pages/View_Catalog_Page.asp?mi=3471

http://www.forestry-suppliers.com/product_pages/View_Catalog_Page.asp?mi=3470

Both of these products utilize the "swelling crystals" you mentioned.

Terry

Well just ordered the Joe Rocket 4.0 from New Enough for $89. What a deal.:dancefool:

Thanks for your discussion. My buddy in Indy has been looking for a mesh after he used mine last summer. They have the yellow he's been wanting in his size.:cool10: