IGNORED

Smaller Michelin tire on front

hunter 1500

After trying this I couldn't wait to change back. I changed over about two years ago and haven't really liked it. Just didn't seem like it wanted to hold in the corners and when I was towing my trailer it felt like I didn't have much control. Felt really light in the front end.

Yesterday I went back to the E3 on the front and have the Commander 2 on the rear and this combo works really well. After getting enough miles to wear the oil off it I put her through the twisty roads and it felt so much better. It was a breeze and really held through the corners.

If you don't ride hard and just cruise along then I suppose it would work but if you like to ride hard like I do on occasion then I wouldn't suggest it. Opinions may vary this is just mine.

I tried the smaller front years ago on my 06 RSV and found a similar experience to yours. It seemed marginally ok when new but as the tire wore it got more and more "skittish" and unpredictable in the twisties. I far prefer the stock size on the front.

Been there had same results.

I also went to stock E3 on the front and a Michelin Commander II on my RSV and RSTD when the MCII came out.

Besides a GREAT ride,,,, I get a lot of miles on them.

I was at a STAR Touring Dinner in PA last year,, with several RSV/RSTD owners.

A younger guy from TN, an admitted hard rider, said he had put a set of Michelin Commander II's on his and didn't like them because the would "bust loose when pushing corners". That bothered me.

Well I later thought more about his comment,,,, and it hit me.

MC II's DON'T COME IN STOCK SIZE FRONT. So his experience was related to using the small tire, if his front was a Michelin Commander. Not saying the small tire is unsafe (just not for me) but I think a small tire would not hold aggressive mountain cornering as well as the larger stock.

Just put CII's in front and rear and so far I am very happy with them. Not experiencing any of the skittish cornering that is mentionned above as bike feels well planted. Only have 1000 miles on them though...will see as they wear down. One major area of improvement is the elimination of snaking when going through ruts. The olds Metzler-F/404-R combination would actually catch grooves and snake like crazy, not the MCII's. Even lined some ruts on purpose this weekend to see if I could force it to snake and nothing, very stable ride.

:canada:

I heard from all of you that the mc2 is a good tire so I decided to make a change from my old standard me880 rear that I put 79k on my 1100 spirit and now 9k on my 2007 RSV. I called the dealer I always buy my tires from. Mc tire in mission hills ca. They just sell tires.

He told me immediately that it has a load rating of 74 and that is not the 80 required for my RSV. He had another. RSV owner who was cupping and called michelin who told him directly that the mc2 is not recommended for the RSV and take it off. Michelin actually recommended the Shinto tourmaster. So per the factory I am not putting the mc2 on.

Also about narrow front the whole reason to put it on is to "lighten" the front end. So everything everyone is saying is correct. But I wanted a lighter front end to not get arm pump in 50-75 miles of continuous twisties and very tight parking lot u turns. I could almost ride hands off in heavy cross winds with the stock width but now have to have two hands on- not tight - just two since I switched. I couldn't be happier with the narrower front tire metz888 and of course leveling links- uh oh :-)

VentureFar...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VentureFar - He told me immediately that it has a load rating of 74 and that is not the 80 required for my RSV. He had another. RSV owner who was cupping and called michelin who told him directly that the mc2 is not recommended for the RSV and take it off. Michelin actually recommended the Shinto tourmaster. So per the factory I am not putting the mc2 on.

Interesting since the Manual for the RSV calls for a load rating of 74. The bike came with a D404 from the factory with a LR of 74 same as the CMII's.:confused24:. Time will tell I guess on how the CMII's will hold out. :backinmyday: I keep them at a min of 40lbs back and 36lbs in front. From riding, I can tell you that the CMII's are way better planted that the 404's ever where. Also, scroll to the bottom of the page on this follwoing link for a comment on the Shinko's lower weight handling capacity when used up front - the rear one is Ok though. http://www.venturers.org/Tech_Library/?action=article&cat_id=002014&id=374 (Use copy paste to open as they do not allow hot linking):

:canada:

Edited by Bert2006
To add info

I am on the road and can't readily in the dry weight of the 2nd gen RSV. Anyone know what it is?

Between myself and the wife we add 370 pounds. Gas is another 36 and all the stuff I jam into the bags for "preparedness " adds another 10 ish.

Ha ha is there a load rating 100 tire out there???

Thanks

VentureFar...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For those finding the 130 tire skittish or loose, how are your steering head bearings? Loose steering head bearings can make it fell loose and a larger tire will mask that some.

I run the 130/70 -18 Stratoliner front rim with an Avon Venom bias tire. The avon tire feels looser than the 130 70-18 bridgestone radial I had before that came with the rim. That said I'm at 25,000 miles and haven't re-torqued or repacked my steering head bearings. In my case I have never had any scary handling or feeling like I can't push it further in corners.

Just wondering if steering head bearings, fork spring selection, etc makes the difference where some people like the 130 and some don't.

I put the Commander IIs on my Midnight Venture a few thousand miles ago. I love them.It handles way better than the E3s I had before.I push my bike hard and love to corner carve here in the mountains of Colorado.I have never felt anything like the breaking loose or skittishness that some report.If I get decent miles from them,I'll buy another set.If not,I'll put on Elite 2s,skinny front and all.

I replaced the [worthless] Avon Venoms with the Michelin Commander II's and love it! Made the whole bike handle and ride better for me. I like the narrower front...much better handling and rider feedback.

Tires are like oil and insurance...everybody has their opinion and preferences. Go with whatever you like best.