IGNORED

Need to hear your comments

Kirby

Has anyone tried the smaller front tire Michelin CommanderII? Time to buy a new front tire is approaching and MCII doesn't come in the 150 width for the 2 Gen. I have a MCII on the rear and like it so far. I've been using E3 on front but this time I'm getting a lot of small sidewall cracking. So thinking of putting on the narrower front MCII. Your thoughts?

Has anyone tried the smaller front tire Michelin CommanderII? Time to buy a new front tire is approaching and MCII doesn't come in the 150 width for the 2 Gen. I have a MCII on the rear and like it so far. I've been using E3 on front but this time I'm getting a lot of small sidewall cracking. So thinking of putting on the narrower front MCII. Your thoughts?

Bought a set of Commander II's a few weeks ago but have not gotten them installed yet. Scheduled to get them on next week. Will post report once they are on. What I have been told by others here who have them is to expect easier turning but a bit less stability in cross winds at higher speeds. I wanted to try out a matched set as I am currently running a 404 in back and a Metzeler up front. We will see....

:canada:

I'm getting a lot of small sidewall cracking.

That would suggest the tire was manufactured long before you bought it. There is a way to determine this but I forgot. Someone else will chime in maybe.

I ran E3's on my RSV no problem with cracking and they are stock on my Vic.

That would suggest the tire was manufactured long before you bought it. There is a way to determine this but I forgot. Someone else will chime in maybe.

I ran E3's on my RSV no problem with cracking and they are stock on my Vic.

Every tire has an oval stamping with a four digit date code in it..... (0213) would be February 2013 manufacture.

Dunlop says a tire should be replaced after 5-6 years and no tire should be used after 7 years from date code.

I believe (IMO) low air pressure may also cause cracking of sidewall as well as cupping on tread.

Ride safe

Kirby, I have over 15K on my current set of MC II. I previously had the E-3. I really didnt see any difference in handling one way or the other. I have been from Fla to Ohio up back-roads from NC, 2 up in the NC mountains, Fla flat lands and just shy of and Iron Butt last summer coming back from Canada on interstate. I liked the handling in dry, rain (the main reason I went with it) 2 up or solo. Very good tire IMOP

Ok guys the date on the tire is 2511. It was installed on 10/13/12 by myself as I do all my own tire mounting. The tire currently has approx. 11,500 miles on it and is around 3 years old. This is the second E3 I've had on the front of this bike and the first got 25,225 miles on it. I run 38-40psi in the front as with the previous E3. I ride the bike daily as weather(rain) permits. Keep it under a carport year round. I'm like the rest here and am baffled by the cracking because of the good rep these tires have in the past. I'm just wanting to try the MCII on the front because of the good performance of the rear tire so far. If the MCII doesn't give as good service as the E3 has in the past , then the next tire will be another E3. My thanks to all but especially Dion for the feedback after actually having tried the MCII front narrower tire.

Kirby,

I put a set of MCII's on last fall. The steering is quicker, more like power steering compared to the old tires. Going down the highway you have to be more aware, you can ride with no hands :no-no-no: but it takes more input than with the Warrior I am used to riding. I would not call it squirly like some have in previous posts {if you do a search you will find lots of comments on this tire} it is just more sensitive that the old tire. I have not had a chance to really try it out on the curves yet. :bikersmilie:

I had the 130 width Commander II on my RSTD, felt mighty squirrely to me at highway speed. Much easier at slow speed, but not worth the unsettled feeling at speed to me. I'm on my second batch of Avon Venom front/Michelin Commander II on rear, after wearing out the stock brickstones in just over 6000 miles. I prefer the 150s.