IGNORED

Petcock turns tight - 2nd Gen 2007 RSV

It feels to me like my petcock turns too tight when switching from open to reserve ( and off). I almost always go to reserve on a ride so this is not a one time 'feeling'. I run seafoam all the time since I got the bike ( 1 year). What is the remedy for "real tight turning petcock"?

If you reply - rebuild then please be specific about how. Thanks all

VentureFar...

Edited by VentureFar

I know you probably don't want to hear this but why don't you just leave it on reserve and watch the fuel gage? You don't have a reserve on your car do you? Yet you still know when it's time to buy more gas.

I know you probably don't want to hear this but why don't you just leave it on reserve and watch the fuel gage? You don't have a reserve on your car do you? Yet you still know when it's time to buy more gas.

It is the act of seeing the light, switching to reserve, watching the count up meter, opening my gas cap lid ( exposing the key hole) as a reminder I am in different mode now. Maybe I make to much of this but if the light ever quit I could run out of gas if the sun is at my back.

VentureFar...

Mine was "easy" before I rebuilt it a month ago. The first time I tried to turn it after closing it up was real tight, I was almost afraid I put the O-ring the wrong way in and I'm gonna break it or something. But with patience I managed to work it around a few times and now it's fine. I think the gas lubricated it after I opened it the first time because it was noticeably softer after that.

Rebuilding is simple: get a kit online (like the one here), then empty the tank, get a philips head screwdriver, open the plate that surrounds the tap (the one with "RES - OFF - ON" on it) and take the tap, the packing and the O-ring out. Replace with new parts from the kit, assemble in reverse order and that's it.

If you have extra time/patience, do the tap-to-tank O-ring as well: undo the two big bolts that hold it on, take it out, replace long O-ring, put everything back the way it was.

Mine was "easy" before I rebuilt it a month ago. The first time I tried to turn it after closing it up was real tight, I was almost afraid I put the O-ring the wrong way in and I'm gonna break it or something. But with patience I managed to work it around a few times and now it's fine. I think the gas lubricated it after I opened it the first time because it was noticeably softer after that.

Rebuilding is simple: get a kit online (like the one here), then empty the tank, get a philips head screwdriver, open the plate that surrounds the tap (the one with "RES - OFF - ON" on it) and take the tap, the packing and the O-ring out. Replace with new parts from the kit, assemble in reverse order and that's it.

If you have extra time/patience, do the tap-to-tank O-ring as well: undo the two big bolts that hold it on, take it out, replace long O-ring, put everything back the way it was.[/quote

Awesome.

Thanks.

VentureFar...

The petcock on my rstd is tight also. Evidently just one of them things.

The petcock on my VTX I had previously was very easy to turn.

I'd say don't sweat it. It is what it is.

Since the repair kit is cheap I will get one and put it in the saddle bag----just in case.

Thanks for the input.

VentureFar...

It feels to me like my petcock turns too tight when switching from open to reserve ( and off). I almost always go to reserve on a ride so this is not a one time 'feeling'. I run seafoam all the time since I got the bike ( 1 year). What is the remedy for "real tight turning petcock"?

If you reply - rebuild then please be specific about how. Thanks all

VentureFar...

Try to give your petcock a twist once every tank full. Mine is also 'initially' tight, but once I get it going to twist it feels just fine.

I have heard of a couple of guys getting a hydrolocked engine when leaving the petcock open when parked. All it takes is a small speck of dirt to hold a needle valve open in your carb to flood a cylinder and cause some damage.

I don't shut mine off every time, I park but I do try to remember to do it.

Brian

Seems like the consensus is "tight petcock on RSV".

Interesting.

Thanks all.

VentureFar...

My 2007 RSV started getting hard to turn and gradually became worse, until one day on a long ride, it started dripping.

Riding back home with gas dripping on your upper pants leg is .. well ... not fun. :shock3::shock3::shock3:

I had a choice to ride back home 100 miles or leave the bike and pay a huge bill to get it home. I chose to ride back. Maybe that was not so wise now that I look back on it.

I suggest you fix it before that happens.

I replaced the entire unit with a new one from Yamaha. I think it was about $70 US.

It was much easier to turn however it is stiffer than other bikes I have owned.

The peace of mind was worth the extra $$$ to me. Just my 2 cents.