IGNORED

Cross country ride

ricksbike

I have a question for VR riders,how about some opinions on riding from N.Idaho to New York on a Gen 1 VR with about 85,000 miles on the clock,bike is in excellent condition,has slight gear whine from trans area(only can hear with helmet on) has no other issues,I would appreciate any comments or input.

Ride Safe,

Rick Hoffman

:301:

Hi Rick

Its very possible, especially if your new to these bikes, that you are hearing the notorious Venture whine.. If its happening in lower R's and then goes away as you run up the R's in all the gears thats probably what your hearing..

Take a look a pic below, thats a bike with well over 200,000. It is my 5th one of these old Ventures that I have taken to over 200k, THEY ARE VERY WORTHY BIKES!!

I can hear your bike SCREAMING at you to go chase down that adventure you are talking about.. If it were mine (I have one screaming at me too) I would check some of the following before I headed out..

Put a good battery in it.

Look closely at the fuse panel mounted above the battery, make sure that things in there look clean and in good condition..

Bike on center stand, check brake pads for wear, engage the rear brake - release and spin rear tire to make sure its not dragging. Do same on front end.

Do air pressures, check tires!!

Drop in a new set of plugs.

Get a carb sync done.

As already mentioned, change oils.. Dont forget to check brake/clutch res's.. Look closely at changing out at least the clutch master fluid.. That fluid tends to take a beating..

Look closely under the carbs for cracking in vacuum lines/hoses..

Check water cooling hoses for same..

Check front fork seals and for sag,, if its sagging,, progressives springs work wonders..

Adjust the bars so they fit YOU..

Apply for xtra vacation time, take along some xtra cash cause once set up that Venture aint gonna be happy about just one trip from Idaho to New York...

Have fun out there,, maybe we will cross paths this year!!

Puc