IGNORED

Dragons tail or Cherohala Skyway?

ragtop69gs

We ride the BRP a lot and just live a little ways from it, even thou I am in SC. There is a place called Little Switzerland on the BRP. If you can 8 people to get together, you can have a cabin that has 8 rooms, complete privacy with there own bathrooms. They have shelter for bikes and air compressor and they cater to bikers. Last time I was there it was 65.00 a nite and a free breakfast buffet. It is a nice clean place to visit, Jim

AMEN to the above. Their grilled shrimp is way too tasty also. :)

Start in Tellico Plains, Tn and ride the Cherohala Skyway to Hwy 129. Then go north to Deals Gap and ride the Tail of the Dragon up and back. Then leave Deals Gap and ride Hwy 28 south to Franklin, the Hwy 64 east to I-26. Or, don't go all the way to Franklin, take 28 to 74 and take 74 east through Cherokee on back to I-40. You will proclaim it to be some of the best riding of your lifetime.

You can ride the 11 miles up and back on The Dragon in less than an hour. In my opinion, you don't go over there and not ride both.

I agree. You gotta ride both.I did both about 3 years ago. Dragon is intense.Look out for the crotch rocket riders. There is a good restraunt in the town at the south end named Lynns downtown. Good place to eat if you want home cooking type food.

Have a great time.

James

I agree. You gotta ride both.I did both about 3 years ago. Dragon is intense.Look out for the crotch rocket riders. There is a good restraunt in the town at the south end named Lynns downtown. Good place to eat if you want home cooking type food.

Have a great time.

James

Lynn's Place is in Robbinsville. God spot to grab a lunch.

by the time we got to the Dragon we actually found it kinda tame! You will enjoy it but be careful, lotsa idiots there and an occasional semi that don't belong there!!

You had to be going WAY too slow then! :whistling:

The Cherohala is everything from awesome to spiritual. The dang Dragon is truly hilarious! We hung out at Deals Gap for about an hour taking in the sights of the vast array of bikes, trikes and cars. Then headed up the Dragon. I distinctly remember about halfway into the 11 miles, I noticed I had a big grin on my face. I let out a chuckle and my wife heard it in the microphone and asked me what I was laughing at. I told her I had just realized I was riding with a big goofy grin on my face, she said she noticed the same thing about herself. I never got above 3rd gear, and most of it I didn't get above 2nd.

The Cherohala and The Dragon are two completely different experiences. Glad to hear your gonna do both.

Randy & Eck , thanks for the tip on the cabins, we're booked for 1 night.

When we're done with Cherohala and the dragon we are headed east to the coast, how does THIS route look to cross NC. What should we expect traffic wise if we take my proposed route ? Is it a nice ride or should we avoid any areas ?

Randy & Eck , thanks for the tip on the cabins, we're booked for 1 night.

When we're done with Cherohala and the dragon we are headed east to the coast, how does THIS route look to cross NC. What should we expect traffic wise if we take my proposed route ? Is it a nice ride or should we avoid any areas ?

There is NO way I would take 74 through Charlotte.Personally,I would take 64 or 70 from Asheville.

How's THIS route look? Any better?

74 is a great road.If you decide to take 74 youcan get around charlotte with no problems.Take 74 to Kings Mountain NC then I85 north toward Charlotte about 20 miles.Get on I485 which will take you around Charlotte to Matthews NC then back on 74East.I am not trying to change your plans just trying to get you around the Charlotte traffic.

74 is a great road.If you decide to take 74 youcan get around charlotte with no problems.Take 74 to Kings Mountain NC then I85 north toward Charlotte about 20 miles.Get on I485 which will take you around Charlotte to Matthews NC then back on 74East.I am not trying to change your plans just trying to get you around the Charlotte traffic.

I485 In the afternoon after work is as bad as Charlotte.

Going from the dragon to New Bern, NC we have no set plan or route, except that we're going to spend the night somewhere, about half way to New Bern. A ride thru Maggie Valley don't sound bad it'll give us a taste of the area for when we go back to spend some time around there.

I think the second route I posted will be the one we take, maybe with a little tweaking if there's a MUST TAKE road that does not take us to far off course.

Thanks for the help with this leg of the ride. :thumbsup2:

Hey Gang,

This route takes him through Maggie Valley. Is that Wheels Through Time motorcycle museum still open there in case they wanna take a gander?

Just ask any question and you will get lots of answers / help!!!

HELP with planning your vacation..knowing what roads to take / not take...which sights are worth stopping for...

I am a little jealous of your vacation but all the planning is going to make it awesome! You and Jeannie are going to have the BEST time! Because your friends here took the time to point out the BEST to you! Have FUN!!!! (and remember...your AWESOME vacation starts at the B2dad and B2mom M & E!!!!)

Can't wait to see you!

Patti

:cool10::cool10::cool10::cool10:

That's what makes this site a pleasure to be a part of. Helpful folks no matter what the subject is. We are looking forward to our first outing of 2014, just wish I had a little more time to enjoy the sights along the way.

:beer:

Just ask any question and you will get lots of answers / help!!!

HELP with planning your vacation..knowing what roads to take / not take...which sights are worth stopping for...

I am a little jealous of your vacation but all the planning is going to make it awesome! You and Jeannie are going to have the BEST time! Because your friends here took the time to point out the BEST to you! Have FUN!!!! (and remember...your AWESOME vacation starts at the B2dad and B2mom M & E!!!!)

Can't wait to see you!

Patti

:cool10::cool10::cool10::cool10: