IGNORED

Bad Boy electric Airhorns

muaymendez1

I have never been a fan of these horns. I always found alternatives but my new to me bike came with one and I absolutely love them.

If anyone is on the fence about getting a new horn, Please don't hesitate. It is louder and annoying. Only problem now is I like it so much I fuind myself using it more often. I am actually thinking of adding a second one somewhere in the fairing.

I was riding along and a cager started drifting from my right. A little honk honk had him swerve to the right . The next time wasn't a safety issue. Left lane 2 cars turning. Minivan had 2 chances to go . HONK HONK . MOVE!!! please..... The guy in front had to check his rearview

Stebel Nautilus is actually slightly louder at 139db vs. the Wolo Bad Boy at 118db. Not a huge difference, both will hurt you if you let 'em fly and are close by. They also have more assortment than the Wolo, but it comes down to choice.

Stebel Nautilus is actually slightly louder at 139db vs. the Wolo Bad Boy at 118db. Not a huge difference, both will hurt you if you let 'em fly and are close by. They also have more assortment than the Wolo, but it comes down to choice.

Neither tells you the distance they measured at though, so hard to compare.

I have a pair of Bad Boys on my '89. Two is way better than one.

A couple years ago one failed. The replacement has slightly different pitches than the original. That cacophony is even better than two that are in pitch.

I heard of them failing because of bad relays so When my buddy ( P.O) asked me to install this one I went ahead and opted for the better water resistant relay.

This was installed 4 years ago and it s still ticking. And the bike is by no means a garage queen, so the horns quality speaks for itself.

from 119db to 139db You really are splitting hairs.

I remember reading somewhere that at a certain point noise becomes a worse distraction. They actually started limiting the noise on emergency vehicles. Some noises and pitches travel longer distances. Some just become deafening.

This horn scared my daughter and another motorist.

I don't know if the prices are the same but the badboy is supposedly the cheaper brand , and it has stood the test so far. Im pleased and will definitely be buying another one should this fail.

I have one Stebel I got off e-bay and then the horn on my truck bit the dust. I was surfing -ebay and found a similar knock off horn for about $20-25. I bought a couple and one is on my truck and the other is on the right side of the bike. They are great. When you have to use them sometimes the cagers are looking for the semi they PO'd

I am not a nay sayer. I had the stebel on my last bike and both times I used it the lexus and jag just kept coming into my lane without even turning their head left - same side.

that is when I was convinced semi horns are the way to go.

Everything "helps" but don't count on anything for them to see or hear you since you are-after all- invisible.

VentureFar...

You are so correct. Relying on any one mechanical device is sure to lead to failure. Use common sense and skill before relying on them to avoid hitting you.

As far as air horns are concerned. What did you go with, compressor unit, tank, where did you mint all that stuff?

I have 2 Bad boys on my bike, both facing forward. While they are very loud and will make most people jump, they still do not have what it takes at freeway speeds. That wind will knock the dBs down real quick. There was a time I was trying to get the attention of another bike. While at highway speeds, he could not hear my dual Bad Boys until I was about 10 feet behind him.

Most horns on the market are rated for dB at 4 inches. Sound looses half of its sound level if you double the distance. So every time you double the distance you lose about 6dB

So a horn advertised with dB rating that does not give the distance it was measured at, is a totally meaningless number. By the time a cage is 4 inches from my horn, it is to late for me.

My goal is to get train horns on my bike, they are rated 120 dBa at 100 feet. A Bad Boy or Steible will be about 68 dBa at 100 feet. That is equal to the sound in an office setting. Or the high end of normal conversation.

I have 2 Bad boys on my bike, both facing forward. While they are very loud and will make most people jump, they still do not have what it takes at freeway speeds. That wind will knock the dBs down real quick. There was a time I was trying to get the attention of another bike. While at highway speeds, he could not hear my dual Bad Boys until I was about 10 feet behind him.

My goal is to get train horns on my bike, they are rated 120 dBa at 100 feet. A Bad Boy or Steible will be about 68 dBa at 100 feet. That is equal to the sound in an office setting. Or the high end of normal conversation.

I agree, but you don't want to use a train horn at a stoplight when you just want to get someone's attention. (heart attack anyone?)

I made a 2 function switch on my Honda Sabre so I could use the stock or air horn whenever I wanted.

I was just looking at a LEO website talking about horns and several cops from several states posted that they cite for obnoxious horns. This is the california law

27000. (a) A motor vehicle, when operated upon a highway, shall be equipped with a horn in good working order and capable of emitting sound audible under normal conditions from a distance of not less than 200 feet, but no horn shall emit an unreasonably loud or harsh sound.

Obviously the idiots going around blasting to scare PEOPLE are going to get cited but I doubt if you hit your loud horn on the freeway to save your butt that it will be a problem. But I will gladly pay the fine if my horn kept me from getting hurt.

Remember friends, use your loud horns "responsibly" :no-no-no:

VentureFar...

Almost every state has this law, some just enforce it better than others .

I drive a rig. Our air horns are dubbed road horns and the electric ones are called city horns.

We are not supposed to use the air horns in city limits but with the sound of the diesel engine the electrics are worthless.

When I got stopped. I said it was s safety concern. I don't lay on it either.

A horn it's used to communicate danger not anger and frustration

Totally agree - communicate danger or don't honk it.--- and yes, someone texting at a light and not noticing the light changed is "danger" because someone else coming up behind you texting will notice the light is green and assume everyone is moving....and you become a hood ornament....

VentureFar...