IGNORED

Engine Cleaners

steve

Would anyone know a good way to clean an engine without damaging the

finish on the aluminum. Which I personally have done in the past.

I have an '89 Venture Royale which can use a good cleaning.

Thanks in advance,

Steve

I found that this stuff works very well. Spray it on and hose it off, chamois and done. Really makes the chrome sparkle. Start to finish 15 minutes (not counting the time to roll up the hose.) Buy it in the bulk container and use your own spray bottle. Standard spray bottle from bike brite uses way to much. A fine mist will do the job.

http://www.bikebrite.com/

I donno...?? For really bad caked on oil and road dirt crud I use a can of carb cleaner. Blows that stuff off quick. However, if you get too agressive in an area it will start to soften the clear coat on the block, but for bare aluminum have at it.... It may not be perfect, but works for me...

I really do appreciate all of the ideas to clean my engine.

I had the day off from work, and I wanted to get it done yesterday.

So I wound up calling Yamaha Cycle Craft in Woodstock, Il.

They were very helpfull. They recommended a product that they use on all the bikes that get traded in, they said it worked great without damaging the finish on the bike.

It is called S100 Total Cycle Cleaner, is the product I used.

It was $14.00 for a quart spray bottle. It did work great, but I do have

to say it smelled familiar, after reading my responses today, I believe it

did smell like Simple Green, That is only an opinion.

Thanks to all who replied,

Steve

It is called S100 Total Cycle Cleaner, is the product I used.

It was $14.00 for a quart spray bottle. It did work great, but I do have

to say it smelled familiar, after reading my responses today, I believe it

did smell like Simple Green, That is only an opinion.

Steve

That smell might have been Butyl cleaner. It's the same stuff in 409 and a bunch of others. Just add a color...orange, purple, green... and pick a name. They all work. You can mix concentrate 1oz.:128oz.(1 gal.) as in 409, or stronger. It's all chemical warfare..... and a money making product. I used to buy the concentrate for about $30 bucks a gal. That's 512 qts. of 409 @ what?? 4-5 bucks a bottle retail. You do the math.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello All,

I have an '87 that I am redoing. I would like to get the parts of the engine that shows to look better.

It looks to me like Yamaha varnished the engine or something. Is that right. Anyway, I think it tis that varnish that looks yucky, all yellow. Is there away to just take the varnish off and polish the aluminum, I think that would look good. :confused24:

D

Yeah, that yellow is ugly. I had my covers buffed out commercially when I pulled them to do the clutch... clutch slave, plus I have an extra stator cover waiting in the wings.... A lot 1stGen owners have stipped their cases with a bunch of different products, and this is just thought???, but I wonder how plain old DOT 3 brake fluid would react on that old varnish?? I know it can screw up a painted surface real quick, but maybe if carefully spread on an aluminum cover it might do the job. Afterwords it can be neutralized with plain water.

I'm using a tooth brush to apply, then reapply every 15 minutes till it is all stripped, then I'll spray it off with water.

I did do a test in an inconspicuous area to test first, and I am doing the best I can to avoid rubber parts and such

D :whistling:

I'm using a tooth brush to apply, then reapply every 15 minutes till it is all stripped, then I'll spray it off with water.

I did do a test in an inconspicuous area to test first, and I am doing the best I can to avoid rubber parts and such

D

Dang... I like Guinea Pigs. :whistling: Keep us posted on the results. I wouldn't worry too much about the rubber, but definately keep that stuff off the paint. Even the frame paint. Another thought is... I've heard Goof Off works pretty good.....

I'll comment on Yamaha's clear coat. I have an xs650 that I'm redoing and have removed all of the clearcoat very easily.

Any good paint stripper will work. Just let it sit, then scrub it off. (Of course, the parts your'e working on should NOT be on the bike)

Now, if you want it really shiny:

Take whatever case you have stripped to the kitchen sink, and with the faucet just barely running, sand the case down with 360 grit wet paper, then move on to 600, then on to 1500. I found the key to this operation is the running water. (doesn't have to be much)

After you dry it off, take 000 steel wool with aluminum polish and you will end up with a beautiful finish.

If this sounds like a lot of work, then skip it and look at the ugly half on, half off, yellowed finish.

Or, just remove the finish and leave it.

Steve