IGNORED

What's the best tires?

Guest Snowman57

I don't have any personal experience with the smaller front tire but I have heard that it does make a difference in handling. I put Venoms on my 2000MM Venture and the tire change made the bike handle altogether differently. They are truly amazing tires. The bike is so much more nimble. Another great advantage is that the Venoms are so much quieter, especially when you push them hard in a corner. The Dunlops I had on the bike previously, howled loudly in a turn and I never had the cornering confidence I have now.

I have to give Avon Venoms two thumbs up.

Best wishes,

Scott

The only bike tire for me is the Avon Venom.

Southwest Moto Tires

http://arizonamoto.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=SFNT&Store_Code=SWMT

Southwest Moto Tires

2440 North Coyote Dr. Suite 130

Tucson, Arizona 85745

info@swmototires.com

Avon Venom 140/90HB-16 Rear (stock)

Avon Venom 150/90HB-15 Rear (stock)

Avon Venom MT90HB-16 Front (slim)

I use the slim tire in the front because the bike is easier to handle in slow turns.

You can also go to search and type in Tires and read other pass post about tires. http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=5704&highlight=tires

Metzlers, I tried the Avons but didn't get the mileage I do with the Metzlers. If you are touring you will want a tire you can put some miles on. Oh yea, stick with the stock size if you spend more time on the road than in the parking lot.

My last change I went with Dunlop Elite IIIs. LOVE THEM! Smooth, quiet and wear great. Very similar tread design to the Venoms. I did go with the smaller front tire and as advertised I felt like someone took 200 pounds off the bike.

My Venture had Dunlop Elite II's on it when I got it. Love those tires, been running them on my Virago for many thousands of miles. Many sizes are now hard to get as they are transitioning to the Elite 3's. I put the Dunlop E-3's on the Venture last summer and love them. I also went to the slimmer front and the difference in handling was noticible. Everyone has their favorite tire, just make sure you get the round ones, they're the best! :D

Venoms!!! Just changed my rear tire today. Put the stock size venom back on there. Got almost 13K out of it and could have gone a little more. I have the "slim" tire on the front and really like it better too. Looks like I"ll get maybe 20K out ot it. Good luck.

Avon Venom 140/90HB-16 Rear (stock)

Avon Venom 150/90HB-15 Rear (stock)

Avon Venom MT90HB-16 Front (slim)

I assume you mean the 140/90hb-16 is the stock front?

The stock front tire in my manual and on my bike is 150/80-16

And just as more info,, the MT90B-16 front has a slightly higher load capacity than the 150/80-16 But the exact same tire diameter.

The dealer here wants almost $400 to mount front and rear, and they told me Avon doesn't make the stock size.. (Not true, the stock sizes are definitely listed on the Avon website)

I'm debating on taking the tires off and getting them done at Cycle Gear for a little less and maybe going with the Pirelli MT66 which are considerably less expensive, first I would need a lift that would allow me to take of both tires, one at a time would be fine. Any recommendations?

And then, how much trouble is it?

I just checked the Pirelli website and I'm not happy with the load rating on the rear MT66, it is only a 74 rating.. the Avon comes in 74 and 80 ratings.. White Wall only 80!!

And the Avon MT90B-16 front White Wall is a 74.. I guess I go with Avon white walls!!! Still have to decide if I'm going to pull the tires myself or pay the shop to do it.

So let me get this straight if you boys were putting on a set of new tires next week like I am you would go with avons 150/90hb -16 on the

rear and the mt90hb- 16 (slim) on the front, am I reading you correctly?

Almost:

rear 150/90B-15 WWW (wide white wall) 80H load rating

and MT90B -16 WWW front 74H load rating.

The MT90hb -16 has a higher load rating than the 150/80 -16 71H load rating..

And I think I like the white wall look.:)

going to a 170/80-15 rear would up the load rating to 83H, but not sure they will fit.

load ratings

71 = 761lbs

74 = 827lbs

80 = 992lbs

83 = 1074lbs

Total recommended load, bike (869lbs wet) , rider, passenger, and cargo, (419lbs) is 1288lbs..

figuring 60/40 that is 772 on the rear and 515 on the front..

Personally I know I go over that 1288,, I weigh 200+, plus riding gear, so me and the wife with gear on leaves only about 40lbs for cargo.

And if you pull a trailer you could easily be putting 850lbs load on the rear tire.

The stock Bridgestone rear has a load rating of 74H, so if you go 100lbs over the 419lbs max for two people and cargo you are right at the max load for the stock tire.

(the H is actually the speed rating.) H is to 130 mph

....maybe going with the Pirelli MT66 which are considerably less expensive...

I purchased my 05 RSV from a Yamaha dealer last May and had new tires put on. Not knowing what to ask for I just took what they recommended. ... which was the Pirelli MT66. I don't run hard so the tires don't get pushed. I'm usually two up and these puppies really howl in the curves. I'll go the bucks and put something better on next time. :mo money:

I purchased my 05 RSV from a Yamaha dealer last May and had new tires put on. Not knowing what to ask for I just took what they recommended. ... which was the Pirelli MT66. I don't run hard so the tires don't get pushed. I'm usually two up and these puppies really howl in the curves. I'll go the bucks and put something better on next time. :mo money:

Yeah,, I also found they also have the lower load rating. Avons seem to be the only ones with the better load rating.

I talked to a bic dealer today and he seemed a little vague on the

avon venoms , but I think it was because they hadn"t sold to many ,

I have been doing a lot of listning from you guys and I am leaning towards the venoms , I have dunlops on my 04 midnight right now and they arn"t looking real good. I bought my bike last Jan. in Phonix and realy like it. oh by the way thanks for that bit of info Al.