IGNORED

Windshield ?

I'm sure this has been discussed allot, but I want to hear some opinions and advice on the RSV windshield. I plan to ride the bike to work and travel some on it. But, I've heard the windshield is terrible in the rain and fog. My bike has the stock windshield and I can't see over it. So here's my questions.

1) should I trim the windshield to where I can see over it?

2) if I trim it what hieght should I trim it to, that won't cause buffeting?

3) will cutting down the windshield cause my passenger to have buffeting?

4) should I consider an after market windshield, and if so what brand? I looked at the F4 customs shields, a bit pricey but should last.

5) does anyone have the Baggershield and is it a good windshield for the money? I like the idea of having the shorter shield for summer riding, but I wish I could try one out first.

Thanks' in advance for the help! This is my first touring bike and I want to get it set up right for my wife and I.

When I bought my RSV, I bought a short windshield for the summer months. I have the stock one on for the winter and even though I am 6'4", I have to really sit up to look over it. The rain that we get is hard enough that going down the road, it beads up and blows off. The short one is a little harder on long trips but I rode up to PA last summer with it. I wear a full face so I did not get windburn and could hear the stereo/CB/intercom with little effort. Personally, I would not cut it. I am sure there are a number of MSF personnel that would disagree with me.

Some people have decided to cut theirs and you can find those posts on here with a search.

I have a long OEM 17" clear windshield which is a blessing in the torrential rain, on the highways. I also have a slip stream short tinted guy. I found some members recommend all-Kleer for the windshield, sort of a "rain x, fog x" type of liquid. I tried it on the slip stream and there was not any fogging in the warm,humid Florida air, after a storm. I do plan on all-Kleer the larger shield at some point. If you want to switch from one to the other, it's extremely easy to do so. I have at best, beginner skill with repairs and such, no way near these guys, and I take my shield on and off in minutes...

Edited by Barrycuda

They make one that converts from short to tall with a flip. Can not recall the name but from what I have read the ones that have it like it.

I believe you might be referring to the baggershield. I just got mine.

http://www.baggershield.com/baggershield-star-venture-105-to-165-extra-large-adjustable-p-26.html

Installed it couple weeks ago so only have around 2k miles on it.

Fully extended is as comfortable as the stock I had (at least to me). I will be riding with passenger this weekend so I'll have some input from her soon too.

The short option is cool. I am sure I'll be more excited about it during summer. It creates a lot of buffering though. My previous bike has an even shorter shield on the fairing and I have more buffering now. I have changed the helmet too so I should ride w my old helmet and see if that makes a difference.

All in all I think the F4 could possibly have been a better option.

My $0.02.

I installed a baggershield last summer and really like it. The company was great to work with and it installed in minutes. You can change from tall to short in less than a minute with no tools necessary. It is a little wider than the stock shield which helps with the buffeting. My wife has no problems with the wind when the shield is in the tall position.

+1 for the Baggershield. I have had it on for half a season. Works great, and love that you can go from short to tall very quietly without using tools.

Be careful when installing it though. It fits a little tighter than stock and I ended up breaking one of those plastic mounting clamp thingies. I have to figure out how to fix it now without replacing the back half of the fairing.

Some people have decided to cut theirs and you can find those posts on here with a search.

I have a long OEM 17" clear windshield which is a blessing in the torrential rain, on the highways. I also have a slip stream short tinted guy. I found some members recommend all-Kleer for the windshield, sort of a "rain x, fog x" type of liquid. I tried it on the slip stream and there was not any fogging in the war, humid Florida air, after a storm. I do plan on all-Kleer the larger shield at some point. If you want to switch from one to the other, it's extremely easy to do so. I have at best, beginner skill with repairs and such, no way near these guys, and I take my shield on and off in minutes...

Will All-Kleer dis-color the windshield over time? I've been told not to use an alcohol based cleaner or chemical(like Rain-X) on the windshield cause it will cause it to turn yellow and get soft.

I have 10k miles in 9 months on my baggershield. 2 iron butts also.

I love it. Period.

Use it low most of the time and only up in the cold or rain.

I am 5'11 and the freeway wind hits me four inches above my eyebrows. in my normal "slouch" my face shield stays open. If it sit up straight it slams shut. But I get very little buffet from it and none when flipped up.

Wife likes the airflow with the top down "says it feels like she is on a motorcycle vrs the stock shield that kept the wind off of her.

Baggershield gives a discount to forum members.

Remember to ask for it.

Make sure to keep the Wing nuts tight. If not they will vibrate lose and drop off along the freeway. It looks super cool and feels great in summer.

VentureFar...

Edited by VentureFar

Will All-Kleer dis-color the windshield over time? I've been told not to use an alcohol based cleaner or chemical(like Rain-X) on the windshield cause it will cause it to turn yellow and get soft.

I got the idea from the members on this site. It is recommended for motorcycle windshield, as rain X is not. maybe I someone else can chime in with a bit more experience as I have just started to use it. it says on the bottle MOTORCYCLE

I just purchased the bagger shield in the tall 16" to 10 1/2" size . they were on sale and received a additional 10% off for being a member here, this saving paid for my membership to Venture Rider and then some on this one single purchase. It makes the bike look cool with the short tinted windshield, also they seem to be very good people to deal with. I haven't rode much since installing it to give a accurate evaluation, but I think it will be fine.

I have 10k miles in 9 months on my baggershield. 2 iron butts also.

I love it. Period.

Use it low most of the time and only up in the cold or rain.

I am 5'11 and the freeway wind hits me four inches above my eyebrows. in my normal "slouch" my face shield stays open. If it sit up straight it slams shut. But I get very little buffet from it and none when flipped up.

Wife likes the airflow with the top down "says it feels like she is on a motorcycle vrs the stock shield that kept the wind off of her.

Baggershield gives a discount to forum members.

Remember to ask for it.

Make sure to keep the Wing nuts tight. If not they will vibrate lose and drop off along the freeway. It looks super cool and feels great in summer.

VentureFar...

Thanks' Venturefar!! Your input tends to make me lean more towards the baggershield. Some of my buddies are IBA patch holders and I rely on them allot for long distance riding advice. I'm 5'9" so, from your decription, I think the wind would hit my just right with a baggershield.

Sam

Remember to follow the instructions you don't want to break the tabs on any of the pieces. Especially the accent piece in front of our windshields.

Go slow and deliberate.

And everyone I have recommended get a baggershield loves it.

As you see above- no complaints.

Some owners and wives just like to ride in dead air and that is definitely not the baggershield.

Good luck

VentureFar...

• 2 weeks later...

I have the taller baggershield, I'm 5'11 with leveling links installed and I look right at the top of the screen. I can sit up and look over or slouch and look through. I like it for most purposes, but not for highway travel. Anything above around 70 mph and it rattles my teeth with buffeting to the point that I'm cussing and fatigued from it. I'm going to have to try a vent install or maybe a wing to raise the pocket. It's a bummer. I asked baggershield (Spencer) if I could get a taller top piece and they can't make custom sizes unless they order like 30 of them from the manufacturer.

I have the taller baggershield, I'm 5'11 with leveling links installed and I look right at the top of the screen. I can sit up and look over or slouch and look through. I like it for most purposes, but not for highway travel. Anything above around 70 mph and it rattles my teeth with buffeting to the point that I'm cussing and fatigued from it. I'm going to have to try a vent install or maybe a wing to raise the pocket. It's a bummer. I asked baggershield (Spencer) if I could get a taller top piece and they can't make custom sizes unless they order like 30 of them from the manufacturer.

Couple of questions as I am 5'11" with leveling links.

What helmet do you wear? Many full face will rattle you but because of wind coming UP your chest, not over the top of the shield. If you are using a full face STUFF the chin area with a scarf or two and try it that way. I stopped all buffeting with my Scorpion exo700 by using their "chin skirt".

Have you ever put your hand across your chest to feel and stop the wind from coming up?

If you slouch do you still get hammered?

Try this as a potential and cheap fix. Buy 1" or 3/4 clear plastic tubing for fish tanks and slice it and attach along the ridge of the shield. use tape to hold it down ( making sure it works before permanent install) that extra lip has worked for some to change the airflow and reduce the hammering.

Sorry you are having this problem. I love my baggershield which I use most of the time in the low position unless it is cold or rainy

VentureFar...

I'm sure this has been discussed allot, but I want to hear some opinions and advice on the RSV windshield. I plan to ride the bike to work and travel some on it. But, I've heard the windshield is terrible in the rain and fog. My bike has the stock windshield and I can't see over it. So here's my questions.

1) should I trim the windshield to where I can see over it?

2) if I trim it what hieght should I trim it to, that won't cause buffeting?

3) will cutting down the windshield cause my passenger to have buffeting?

4) should I consider an after market windshield, and if so what brand? I looked at the F4 customs shields, a bit pricey but should last.

5) does anyone have the Baggershield and is it a good windshield for the money? I like the idea of having the shorter shield for summer riding, but I wish I could try one out first.

Thanks' in advance for the help! This is my first touring bike and I want to get it set up right for my wife and I.

Just my 2 cents and my opinion

1. I have both a taller and a shorty windshield. I prefer the taller windshield on longer rides. In bad weather I REALLY like the tall windshield

2. Not sure on this. I'm 6'5'' and get severe buffeting with the shorter shield. Not so much with the aftermarket tall one. With the tall one I have a "calm air" area that does not exist with the shorter one.

3. Yes. My wife experiences much more buffeting with the shorter shield on. Does not like it . She prefers the taller shield.

4. Yes. You can usually buy an aftermarket shield for half to a third of the cost of the OEM. I buy the less expensive ones and have had no issues. Ive had some pretty hard hits from road debris too. One rock can ruin that mega dollar shield. I view windshields as a usable, replaceable item.

5. Cant answer that one.

I personally prefer the taller windshield that I have to look through. I've been told multiple times this is wrong or bad form, but that is still my preference. I clean my windshields with Pledge furniture polish often so the water beads up and rolls off. I think this is key to visability.

With the taller shield, I eat fewer bugs, have much better weather protection and can keep riding when others have to stop.

Jimbob66

We all have such different experiences but I want to share a safety issue with you - looking through the shield. I live in Los Angeles and two times on local mountain roads I have been in a turn and had my shield INSTANTLY fog opaque. Had I not been able to look over it INSTANTLY minus 1 second of panic - I wouldn't be here. When the shield fogs it is an interesting phenomenon of just the right temp and humidity at just the wrong time.

Also, my wife actually said she prefers the lower baggershield on our highway cruises because it feels like " I am riding on a motorcycle and not in a car". After all the "wife" comments mentioned on this forum, I didn't expect mine to say that. But then again I don't expect to hear a lot of the things she says,:stirthepot: but that is for group therapy and not this forum :whistling:

VentureFar...

Couple of questions as I am 5'11" with leveling links.

What helmet do you wear? Many full face will rattle you but because of wind coming UP your chest, not over the top of the shield. If you are using a full face STUFF the chin area with a scarf or two and try it that way. I stopped all buffeting with my Scorpion exo700 by using their "chin skirt".

Have you ever put your hand across your chest to feel and stop the wind from coming up?

If you slouch do you still get hammered?

Try this as a potential and cheap fix. Buy 1" or 3/4 clear plastic tubing for fish tanks and slice it and attach along the ridge of the shield. use tape to hold it down ( making sure it works before permanent install) that extra lip has worked for some to change the airflow and reduce the hammering.

Sorry you are having this problem. I love my baggershield which I use most of the time in the low position unless it is cold or rainy

VentureFar...

Thanks for the suggestions. I have a half shell, 3/4, and full face helmet and they all do the same thing at higher speeds. I can get some relief by ducking down lower but can't hold that position for long rides. If I hold my hand up between my helmet and the windshield I can feel the pulsing air before it reaches the top of my helmet. I need the pocket about 2 inches higher and I'd be golden. Will try the tubing. Weird how people have such different experiences. I want the baggershield to work out because it looks awesome, just don't want to get beaten on the highway.

GeorgiaYankee - why not put out a call to all on the forum asking if they would like a taller flip up. Ask Spencer how much they would be each for 30 and maybe you will get 29 others that want it too.

just a thought.

VentureFar...