IGNORED

Anyone here smoke whole hogs?

Ventureless

I am trying to figure out how big of a smoker I need to build to smoke a 100 pound whole hog. I have found so many different answers on the internet, I am not sure what to believe, We have done several 40 pounders in the ground or on a small spit over open coals. Well after all this crappy cold weather I told my wife to be prepared for a large spring time party to celebrate the warm weather. I want to do a 100 pounder. A buddy of mine said that if I wanted to split the cost, we could build a new smoker on a spare trailer we have. Another friend has a 250 gallon oil tank we could have but the trailer is not real big so we are trying to keep it s small as possible. We thought about just doing one of the 55 gallon drum smoker builds. That would easily hold a 50-60 pound pig. We also started building a vertical smoker out of about a 5-6 foot tall 5 drawer filing cabinet. We want to mount both on the trailer so we can do a whole pig and at the same time maybe some chicken, ribs, etc. Plenty of food for a lot of people. And a couple kegs as well. And yes you are all invited. :cool10:

Sorry to ramble. Back to my question. 100 pound pig would need roughly how big of a rack to cook?

Check around. Many volunteer fire dept an churches and the like have big ole smokers. Maybe you could borrow or rent one from them. Unless you just got to have one. Other option find a Hawaian fellow and ask them to cook one up in the ground.

We use what is known as a Cajun Microwave here in coona$$ country. Homemade box using 3/4 inch plywood and measures 4ftx4ft x4ft high. You can easily do up to 3- 120lb hogs that will take about 6-8 hours of cooking/smoking time.

No matter what ya come up with remember to keep yer temperature at 250-300 degrees....and use seasoned hickory and cherry wood. Pecan and mesquite wood do well together as well.

Boomer....who sez if ya do it right you will be in hog's heaven.:cool10:

Guest tx2sturgis

And here I thought as clicked into this thread, it was gonna be another Harley-bashing thread!

:stickpoke:

Ok...I'm in....just let me get the new fuel pump on the Venture and tell me the time and place!

:smile5:

And here I thought as clicked into this thread, it was gonna be another Harley-bashing thread!

:stickpoke:

Ok...I'm in....just let me get the new fuel pump on the Venture and tell me the time and place!

:smile5:

:rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf:

RATS!!

I really really wanted to jump in earlier and say "I have smoked many a whole Hog on my old 1st genny" but was being polite, giving folks a chance to give some serious advice first,,,,, I waited way to long and let a Texan beat me out,,, that will teach me to be nice!! :whistling::stirthepot::stirthepot:

Isn't it hard to roll up a whole hog in a paper to smoke??

Even harder to light, Bob,, even harder to light!!:detective:

we have a big smoker thats made from 1/4" steel. We use a sawzall and cut in half, wrap in chicken wire and cook hams to shoulders. smoke with apple wood and charcoal. . . Baste with lemon juice, apple juice, apple cider and vinegar.

I smoked a turkey over Christmas for the kids,,, WOW did it come out fantastic.. Brined it in 50/50 water,Apple Juice - 1/2 cup Salt - 1/2 cup brown sugar per gallon, brined for 30 hours, smoked at 250 till the bird reached 165 in breast meat (took about 5 hours),, THE BEST TURKEY I EVER HAD!!!! Wonder how Harl,,, Hog would come out like this:confused24:

Check around. Many volunteer fire dept an churches and the like have big ole smokers. Maybe you could borrow or rent one from them. Unless you just got to have one. Other option find a Hawaian fellow and ask them to cook one up in the ground.

Yep I have to have one. And my best friend (friends for 30+ years and like brothers) and I decided we have to make one and try it out. Then we can take it wherever we want when we want.

We have done several underground. Works well, but I am tired of digging big holes. I know when we were in college, I am sure our landlord hated us for the soft lumpy yard!!!

We use what is known as a Cajun Microwave here in coona$$ country. Homemade box using 3/4 inch plywood and measures 4ftx4ft x4ft high. You can easily do up to 3- 120lb hogs that will take about 6-8 hours of cooking/smoking time.

No matter what ya come up with remember to keep yer temperature at 250-300 degrees....and use seasoned hickory and cherry wood. Pecan and mesquite wood do well together as well.

Boomer....who sez if ya do it right you will be in hog's heaven.:cool10:

A Cajun microwave mounted to the trailer was my original idea. From everything I have seen and read, they are really easy to use and almost fool proof. The one thing I didn't like was that there was no smoke flavor. Then I found where a lot of people have built mini smoker boxes on them to add smoke in the box. That would work. Just wouldn't smell up the neighborhood when cooking!!

I smoked a turkey over Christmas for the kids,,, WOW did it come out fantastic.. Brined it in 50/50 water,Apple Juice - 1/2 cup Salt - 1/2 cup brown sugar per gallon, brined for 30 hours, smoked at 250 till the bird reached 165 in breast meat (took about 5 hours),, THE BEST TURKEY I EVER HAD!!!! Wonder how Harl,,, Hog would come out like this:confused24:

Will have to remember this brine solution. Might have to get some tips from you when we get our equipment built.