IGNORED

2nd Gen Handling

utadventure

Got my first opportunity to ride a 2nd Gen Venture ('99) this afternoon. The bike has a 150mm Pirelli tire on the front. At first the bike felt a little catchy once I started riding but smoothed out once the tires got warmed up.

For years I've heard about the slow speed handling in parking lots etc. It seemed/felt to me like the front wheel closer to me (lower rake) than the '86 I'm use to riding. It also felt like it wanted to keep turning tighter in slower corners like from one street to another. This was noticable more on the right hand turns that where typically slower, tighter turns to begin with.

Is this the same thing you've been talking about in parking lots and such?

The Pirelli's are a softer rubber so I don't think it will be too long before I'll need a new front tire. I'm already thinking to try the 130mm.

Dave

I have found that by gently modulating the rear brake at parking lot speed it is much more stabble....otherwise it can get quite unstable. It is a heavy bike so when it starts leaning over at low speed you must pay attention otherwise it will bite you. When i picked mine from the PO last summer he had the tires underinflated 20 and 25. It was hard to get it to actually turn when I test rode. Once at proper pressure 36-40 all was well.

Once you get used to it all is good.

:canada:

I went from a factory sized tire to something narrower and it made a gigantic improvement. I also HEAR no experience that is that lowering the front end also helps. Someone else will chime in on that. I'm going darkside on the rear so i expect that to make the same effect as going lower on the front.

When I first bought my 06 I thought it handled terribly. I lowered it...front and rear and it made a huge difference. I'm thinking about putting an 18" stratoliner front wheel on it...I hear that also makes a huge difference.

Low tire pressure? ****... that makes me feel like I've had a stroke or forgot how to ride.

I keep it at 35 but have a very slow leak and have to check it every time I ride.

Bob

Lots of different views on this topic.

My bike was lowered in back by P.O. Which was needed for me. I have 40/40 PSI that was suggested by someone. It was also the PSI suggested when I took the ride like a pro course.

FOR ME...the only real difficulties I have are when the PSI drops more than 7lbs. Other than that, with practice and a mindset to work on these skills, it is not bad at all. Is it foolproof? No.

Mike G from SC has his front lowered by Wild B ill in NC. He raves about his handling. I guess it's simply a trial and error type of thing.

Again, in my case, it's proper PSI, and purposeful time practicing slow speed maneuvers, with a bike having a lowering kit that makes my RSV dance on the road....