IGNORED

1st gen gas leak when running

Hi! I have an '86 VR that started leaking large amounts of gas when it runs. As far as I can tell, it seems to be coming from an area (above?) the mono shock. When I looked at a diagram, I noticed that there are some carburetor air vent hoses in there somewhere. So, assuming that the vent hoses run back near the mono shock, would a sticking carb float cause all that gasoline to leak when the engine is running? Thank you!!!

Hi! I have an '86 VR that started leaking large amounts of gas when it runs. As far as I can tell, it seems to be coming from an area (above?) the mono shock. When I looked at a diagram, I noticed that there are some carburetor air vent hoses in there somewhere. So, assuming that the vent hoses run back near the mono shock, would a sticking carb float cause all that gasoline to leak when the engine is running? Thank you!!!

One of the carb floats is open and not closing the needle valve. Or, needle valve has failed, possible some debris in it. The overflow tubes dump in the area around the mono shock.

Gary

Mine did the same thing and caught on fire.:225:

Thanks for your input, Dave! So far I have poured a rather strong solution of Seafoam into the tank and then squirted lots of Seafoam into all four float bowl drain tubes. I'm letting her soak until tomorrow or so. At this point I'm crossing my fingers! Having to tear into the carbs is not my cup of tea. ;-)

Thanks for your input, Dave! So far I have poured a rather strong solution of Seafoam into the tank and then squirted lots of Seafoam into all four float bowl drain tubes. QUOTE]

Are you opening up the drain screws to allow the fuel to drain from the carbs? The only time I had a float stick, I isolated the carb that was overflowing and used some low pressure air and blew into the carb fuel inlet. I put the hoses back on and started the bike and everything was fine. That was several years ago.

RandyA

I was 550 miles from home, when mine did this last summer. What I did to cure it was to disconnect the fuel pump--the connector is on the left side near the pump===remove the left side cover, and it's a 2 conductor connector. Then start the bike and let it idle until it runs out of fuel in the carbs. Plug the fuel pump back in and rock the kill switch on and off a few times to allow the pump to run for a bit. When the fuel rushes into the carbs, it'll flush debris from the needle and seat.

I went on the rest of our vacation and it was fine, but after we'd been home for a couple of weeks, it happened again. I cured it the same way, but decided to find out what was the "root problem". I removed the fuel filter (an automotive replacement from NAPA) and when I cut it apart, I found that the plastic filter screen had come loose and was letting gas go to the carbs un-filtered. I bought a fuel filter from Advance Auto that had a paper element in it that was positively held in place. NO more problems.

Thanks for your input, Dave! So far I have poured a rather strong solution of Seafoam into the tank and then squirted lots of Seafoam into all four float bowl drain tubes. QUOTE]

Are you opening up the drain screws to allow the fuel to drain from the carbs? The only time I had a float stick, I isolated the carb that was overflowing and used some low pressure air and blew into the carb fuel inlet. I put the hoses back on and started the bike and everything was fine. That was several years ago.

RandyA

Hi, Randy! Yes, I have opened up the carb drains and also blew in some (a lot) of Seafoam up the drain hoses. It's been soaking since Saturday night. Today, after my neighbors wake up, we'll start her up and see what transpires. When I bought the bike last September, it had already been sitting for a couple years. Probably lots of varnish build-up. Thank you for your input! I am amazed at all the help I am receiving!!!:)

I was 550 miles from home, when mine did this last summer. What I did to cure it was to disconnect the fuel pump--the connector is on the left side near the pump===remove the left side cover, and it's a 2 conductor connector. Then start the bike and let it idle until it runs out of fuel in the carbs. Plug the fuel pump back in and rock the kill switch on and off a few times to allow the pump to run for a bit. When the fuel rushes into the carbs, it'll flush debris from the needle and seat.

I went on the rest of our vacation and it was fine, but after we'd been home for a couple of weeks, it happened again. I cured it the same way, but decided to find out what was the "root problem". I removed the fuel filter (an automotive replacement from NAPA) and when I cut it apart, I found that the plastic filter screen had come loose and was letting gas go to the carbs un-filtered. I bought a fuel filter from Advance Auto that had a paper element in it that was positively held in place. NO more problems.

Goodmorning, Frank - I am amazed at all the wonderful help I have received thus far! Certainly will replace the fuel filter. So far, the beast has been soaking in Seafoam since Saturday night. Will be firing it up this morning to see what will happen. If it still leaks, you can rest assured that I shall be trying your trick. I thank you for your input! Well, the neighbors are up now, so lets see what happens, shall we?:)

Hmmm..... got me to thinking about making a carb overflow drain hose extension routing past the hot exhaust system. May consider fitting all 4 hoses into a one larger hose for the purpose. Then if a carb overflows, the fuel will spray out the back and collect on the vehicle tailgating me. Wouldn't that be a hoot if the tailgater caught fire!..........just sayin....

-Pete, in Tacoma WA USA

:225:

• 2 months later...

Hi all! Just wanted to let ya'll know that my bike has finally been cured of it's problem. I finally threw up my hands in defeat and took it to the shop at BBRP in Bellingham, WA. They found something in carb #1 wedged so tightly that it just wouldn't flush out. And since the bike had been sitting for about 2? years before I bought it, it was a wonder that I could ride at all considering all the varnish build-up. Also I wanted to say a hearty THANK YOU!!! to all who tried to help me. It sure feels good to hear it rumble and ride it down the road again! :322:

While riding a friends bike last year it did the same thing. I pulled into Wallmart to check it out and found the offending carb. Pulled of the fuel supply line to that carb and blocked it off. Ran the bike on the three remaining carbs until I got it to Marcarl's who redid the carbs for my buddy. You will also find that the leaking is worse at idle than while running under full throttle because at high RPM the bike uses the gas faster than it can overflow.