IGNORED

BEWARE!-Shot during Craigslist sale

bkuhr

http://www.bgdailynews.com/news/bg-man-shot-in-craigslist-transaction-gunman-flees/article_a7b2d694-57ca-57fb-830c-505be44d55e9.html

In my town of Bowling Green KY. Unbelievable. Please take care and recommendation of meeting for sale in bright public area may be safer.

BG man shot in Craigslist transaction; gunman flees

Posted: Tuesday, January 21, 2014 10:30 am

BG man shot in Craigslist transaction; gunman flees By MONICA SPEES The Daily News mspees@bgdailynews.com 783-3246 bgdailynews.com | 0 comments

Authorities are looking for a man involved in a shooting Monday night in Bowling Green.

Kentucky State Police Post 3 troopers and detectives responded to a residence in the Southern Sky Circle area after a shooting was reported. When they arrived, Roger D. Carroll, age and address unavailable, was in a neighbor’s backyard with a gunshot wound to his leg, according to a KSP news release.

Carroll had been trying to sell a motorcycle using the online site Craigslist, and a man claiming to be a buyer shot Carroll in the leg and stole the motorcycle, the release said.

Carroll was taken to Vanderbilt University Medical Center in Nashville. Because Carroll is the victim of a violent crime, Vanderbilt will not release any information about him.

Trooper Jonathan Biven, spokesman for Post 3, said it’s important to use caution when using the Internet to buy and sell items.

“Anytime you use the Internet to conduct business, you take a risk,” Biven said. “Dealing over the Internet is potentially dangerous.”

Because sellers often deal with people they don’t know, not only is violence a possibility, but fraud as well, Biven said.

“Sometimes people are there to commit a crime, not just to buy your product,” Biven said.

Biven suggested people use PayPal for payment over the Internet rather than meeting someone in person. If a seller chooses to meet a buyer in person, Biven said the meeting place should not be at the seller’s residence and should be in a well-lit public area.

— Follow police and crime beat reporter Monica Spees on Twitter at twitter.com/BGDNcrime or visit bgdailynews.com.

Wow,, that is disconcerting to say the least!! I have bought and sold many times off craigs and had lots of really great outcomes but I have often wondered,,, what if.... My main concern has always been in responding to an ad with cash in my pocket and being set up.. Guess ya just cant be to careful now adays, boy thats terrible..:(

Hopefully the guys alright and Cops catch the scumbag(s)!!:backinmyday:

Wow,, that is disconcerting to say the least!!... My main concern has always been in responding to an ad with cash in my pocket and being set up.. /QUOTE]

This sounds kind of rogue, someone coming to your house to get an advertised vehicle then shooting you and stealing it. I mean, why not just jack one in a parking lot, less chance of getting caught or shot yourself.

Like Cowpuc said, I would expect the other way, carrying cash to meet someone you don't know.

Agree with packing something of your own for safety. I have only met someone at my house twice to sell something. One was an AR15 to someone that I met through the Concours motorcycle forum. I felt pretty safe but also made it known that I was carrying as soon as I opened the door for the fellow. The second was my old Kawasaki Concours. That guy came over the same day we were having a birthday party at the house for my daughter so just about every adult male (about 20 of them) at the party was carrying. Nothing bad was happening that day. Other than that I usually meet people at one of the strip malls in town and if I am buying, I leave the cash locked in the car and my hand in my pocket on the 9mm until I feel comfortable.

I was searching for a gun safe for my guns, so I searched the usual places, eBay, and Craigslist. I found one on CL and emailed the seller, I kept stalling about going to see it, because of the weather and distance, it was located aprox 75 miles from me. He had pictures posted on CL but when I emailed him I asked him for some specific pictures, like close ups of the safe, and the interior, just to give him a chance to prove he actually had the safe. But instead he sent me the same pics he had on CL, which were identical to some on the manufacture's website, so I decided to pass on it. Now had I gone to look at it, I would have told him I was a local leo in my town and would like to meet him with the assistance of a fellow leo in his town. His response was that he decided not to sell and took the ad down from CL. Now in the case of something like a car or bike or something fairly portable, I would suggest we meet at the local PD or nearby firehouse for both our protection. That would weed a lot of scammers out. You just cant be to careful when dealing with CL.

I absolutely agree that you must be careful when selling on Craigslist or anywhere else on the Internet. It is no different than the days before computers though when you sold via the local newspaper classifieds. Well, except for the fact that you are reaching people who may be further away.

I can remember when I was a kid that my dad had a car listed in the local newspaper. A man came to look at it, got in it and started it up then just drove away and didn't come back. The police found him the next day though. He had driven the car to a liquor store in a nearby town. Bought a bottle of whiskey and then parked in a wooded and drank till he passed out.

Guess he just needed a ride to the store. :)

I have sold several things online. One tip I would suggest is NEVER allow someone to come to your home to see something. And never go to someone elses home to buys something. Find a public area with lots of people to meet. A police station parking lot would be a good place if you have one close.

And of course packing is always good if you are permitted.

Funny story. I bought my van off craigslist, met the guy at his place, checked it over, test drove it, agreed on the price, got the title, then left. About a mile away, I realized I still had the cash in my pocket. Whipped around and started heading back and met him halfway back. He had called his girlfriend, and when she asked about the money, he realized he didn't get paid. Thankfully he wasn't upset, just relieved. That was a big D'oh moment! :doh:

I haven't had any major issues yet, but I choose my locations and times carefully. The worst things that have happened is my email got put on a spam list (have a separate burner email addy for e-bay/craigslist/misc anyways) and spending money on more junk I don't really need...

-Andrew