IGNORED

A Dark Cloud Hangs Over Me.

Guest Popeye

Guest Popeye

I just sold my 86VR a couple months ago, because it left me stranded on the roadside 4 times last year. Fixed everything, but wife said, it had to go....[Mama says...]

Sold it easy enough.

Found a great deal on a Goldwing, low miles, good price, much newer.

Everyone knows they're excellent scoots so I got it.

Took it to the shop for complete check-over, new tires, brakes, Odessey battery, etc., etc.

Temps heading for the 70s today, so off we went.

We got 5 miles down the road & it just died...instantly at 55 mph, I downshifted & popped clutch while moving, but nothing.

Tried to start it, but battery only lasted for about 1 minute, then dead.

I checked everything I could, but found nothing.

AARP couldn't find a tow, so they called 911 & are supposed to reimburse the $95. for flatbed ride home, since shop was closing.

This makes 5 times stranded within a year....& year isn't up yet.

Scoot's going to the shop ASAP, Tow #6?, [3rd different shop], but whatever they fix & tell me, I'll have little confidence in the bike.

Maybe it's time to give up ridin' & take up fishin'.

How to break a streak like this? :depressed:

Guest KitCarson

You are going to admit this to this bunch!! Oh you are in trouble now!! :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:. Sounds suspiciously like the altenator to me.

Well......You know, I knew a guy many years ago that would buy a used car. Now used cars, just by their nature will likely have a few things wrong with them. So, he would have a series of problems, fix them, and by the time he had all the bugs out, he was mad at the car and sell it and buy another. Of course that car would have some problems, too, and he would repeat this same thing over and over. It got to where folks were just waiting to buy his old cars, 'cause then he had all the bugs out and they had no problems with them at all. Any time I buy a used vehicle, be it car or bike, I just assume it will have some problems that have to be worked out. After every thing is fixed, it usually ends up lasting a long time without any problems. What I'm saying is, you got all the problems fixed with your last bike and then got rid of it. It would probably have been fine after you got all the problems ironed out. I would have just explained to the wife that it was fixed now and kept it. Of course I would have rode it solo for awhile just to make sure. Well now you have bought this wing and it has a problem and maybe a few you haven't found yet. But if you fix it, just don't go holding a grudge against it and sell it, too. Anything mechanical can break. A Wing is a fine machine and will serve you well once the bugs is out of it. Just remember that a lot of folks sell something 'cause something is wrong with it that they don't want to fix. So good....you got it for a reasonable price and can afford to fix the things the previous owner might not have wanted to. Don't give up on it. Fix it and ride it. That's just one little old hillbillies opinion..............

Guest KitCarson

I have it all figured out.....been thinking about this, the bike simply ran out of spinach!!!:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:Should I say that.......just cannot resist it.......

Probably something very simple. Did you put gas in it recently? A few years ago, I was on a ride with the MTA group in Texas. One of our members was riding a wing and it shouldn't shut down just like yours did. Turned out that he had put the gas cap on wrong. Apparently it only vents correctly if you line it up correctly. It can be put on 180 degrees off. It caused it to vapor lock and shut the bike down. He noticed the problem, removed the cap and installed it properly, and all was good again. You might take a look just to be sure.

Guest Popeye
Probably something very simple. Did you put gas in it recently? A few years ago, I was on a ride with the MTA group in Texas. One of our members was riding a wing and it shouldn't shut down just like yours did. Turned out that he had put the gas cap on wrong. Apparently it only vents correctly if you line it up correctly. It can be put on 180 degrees off. It caused it to vapor lock and shut the bike down. He noticed the problem, removed the cap and installed it properly, and all was good again. You might take a look just to be sure.

Gas is new, air wouldn't cause immediate quit, not timing, so I'm thinking electrical.

1. New battery [new dry cell, but might be bad?]

2. Alternator output.

3. Wiring [short]. but, fuses are all ok.

I'm going to pull battery & put on old charger, with guage, to see draw. It'll have to be low. But, will it charge?

If so, will alternator charge it? Long ride [circle home] will tell.

If not charging, then check alternator. Maybe I am just burnt from last bike with so many times being stranded.

It was over 70* when we got home...that won't happen again for a long time.

I'll get it fixed, but it'll take about 15k miles [all summer] to get my confidence back.

Eight breakdowns with 5 ending in tows within 12 months....[so far] that's just weird.

Sooner or later, I'll have to run out of bad luck. :sick:

If so, then to check alternator output?

Well, I can tell you for a fact that the air vacuum in the gas tank DID cause an immediate quit on his Wing. I know it for a fact because I was sitting on the side of the road waiting with him. Don't know exactly how common it is but certainly proved to be possible.

SO, what kind of fishing are you interested in?

"fly fishing", "river fishing"?, "offshore fishing"?.

i have tackle for all three, for sale cheap.

seems like you've been "snake-bit", when it comes to motorcycles!

just kidding. i'd take "oldandcrotchey's" advice. just fix everything that you find wrong, and ride it.

something else WILL break down, it always does.

if it's mechanical, it will wear out with time.

just jt

Well, I can tell you for a fact that the air vacuum in the gas tank DID cause an immediate quit on his Wing. I know it for a fact because I was sitting on the side of the road waiting with him. Don't know exactly how common it is but certainly proved to be possible.

If you have a full tank then it can easily happen quickly when there is only a little air in there that can expand.

Check the charging? Why not just put a voltmeter on the battery terminals. The voltage should be about 14.3 at a little above idle. Don't need to go running around the block over and over again.

Joe

Guest KitCarson

Hi ya Pop-eye.........

You will have to charge the battery up.....start the bike and check the leads to the battery with the ground temp disconnected......see what the output is.....

Hey going fishing today!!! Grandkids want to go out in the boat soon......so taking a sack full of tools and going to the lake to run the boat.....now if you really want frustration.....go buy a boat.......I threaten to shoot it every time I take it out........need lots of tools......voltage tester...ohm meter.......and a sense of humor and a back up motor!! I keep all my stuff in tip top shape.....it has new plugs.......I timed it last week......put fresh gas in it......put a new water pump in the foot.........hooked the hose up to it and ran it for 30 minutes........I can assure you it will die!!!

There are two happy days in owning a boat......the day you buy it......and the day you sell it.

Maybe it's time to give up ridin' & take up fishin'.

How to break a streak like this? :depressed:

Geeze.... If you do take up fishin', do it from the bank. Boats sink..... Maybe it's time to go out and pop for a new bike.. With a 5 year warantee... When I buy a used scoot I always plan on it having problems that the previous owner isn't disclosing. Sounds like your Wing has a major short in the system to run an Odyssey down that quickly....

May a bit 'o Irish luck decend on your shoulder.... and beat the c**p out of those highway gremlins...:thumbsup2:

I'm guessing your riding a GL1500 wing? If so I've read the alternators can be an issue on them especially if its a later 98-2000 model. If your running a lot of lights and accessories the answer and replacement is a Compufire unit, most do it anyways. Changeout the 4 rubber dampers when you change the alternator.

http://www.compufire.com/honda-main.html

This all reminds me of a time awhile back when I bought a boat. Well after learning that a boat is nothing but a hole in the water that you pour money into and investing a ton of money into it I thought all was well. Well one fine spring day my buddy and I launch the boat for the first time that year and we were slowly going along the canal we came to a branch where some guys were fishing and one shouts out "Hows the fishing" I answered back "We're not fishing we are on a break down cruse". They asked whats that and I answered back it's when you take the boat out for the first trip of the year and wait for it to break down. Well wouldn't you know it and I swear no more then 5 seconds later the engine dies, stops dead and the guys and me can't believe it. Well the guys on the bank fishing start with the jokes and I start trying to find the problem. Now this engine just shutdown dead all at once no warning at all it just stopped. We had been out for around 30 - 45 minutes and I'm trying to figure out what now. Well I start with the basic stuff checking for water in the gas, oil level, engine temp all the stuff. I did find the problem it was the points were corroded and once I cleaned them it ran great. Now the point I would like to make here is no matter how much you check it is always the one thing you didn't check and before heading out on that first trip of the year keep it close to home.

Guest Popeye
I'm guessing your riding a GL1500 wing? If so I've read the alternators can be an issue on them especially if its a later 98-2000 model. If your running a lot of lights and accessories the answer and replacement is a Compufire unit, most do it anyways. Changeout the 4 rubber dampers when you change the alternator.

Mine is a 97, but I recently put in a dry cell & didn't charge it...the instructions said not to...[??]

The link you sent covers syptoms I didn't know were associated with my problem.

Now, I'm thinking about the Compufire alternator....just to be safe...$435. for the part & time installing, would give me some peace-of-mind, which I sorely need, at present.

Thanks for your help "okscooter". :thumbsup2:

:sign yeah that:

I was just going to post this exact information. The gl1500 alternators have proven to be quite troublesome. I'd get the compufire for peace of mind, but the original one can also be rebuilt. Also, many gl1500 owners carry a spare main relay......I think it's no. BWR3050 or BWDR3050(Borg-Warner). All the info. & advice can be found at www.goldwingfacts.com.