IGNORED

Odd oil problem...

darthandy

I noticed this at a previous oil change on my RSV but got too busy to follow up. Now I just completed my "pre-storage" oil and filter change for the winter (Yeah, I'm a little late this year.) and it's happened again. I drained the oil (With the filler cap off) and let it drip for 15 to 20 minutes. I then replaced the drain plug and removed the filter and let that opening drip for a while. I then filled the motor with oil and got the level to about the 3/4 level between the marks with just 3 liters. According to the book, the engine should take 3.7 L. - so what's happening? Could there be that much crud in the crank case? The previous owner had been quite good about doing regular oil changes and so have I. The bike only had 71,000 KM on it when I bought it and has 103,000 KM now. I know I should keep the level to about the halfway mark to avoid overflow but I figured I was OK with 3 L. and then I'd pour more in slowly. Oh yes - I ran the engine for a minute or two after filling just to be sure that oil went into the filter. It registered about halfway for a few seconds after switching off then filled to the 3/4 mark. Ideas?

Andy

The 3.7l is if you had a complete drain which is nearly impossible to do.

There is a little bit of oil that stays in the transmission sump, which can be drained by removing the bottom screw of the middle gear cover. There is not enough in there to worry about.

If you did the oil change on the side stand there will be some oil remaining in the left side of the oil pan. You would have to tilt the bike to vertical and level to get the most oil out of the drain plug. there is also oil left clinging to every surface of the inside of the engine.

It is pretty normal to put less in than the book calls for. Does not seem to matter if it is a 1st or 2nd gen.

Yep sounds like crud to me. Better pull the engine and strip it down for a thorough cleaning.

:223:

No seriously though. It is not possible to get all of the oil out of these engines. And for some reason the spec is for maximum capacity. The actual operating range is slightly less. That is unless you want to be cleaning your breather continuously. Not to mention the oil dripping on the ground. It sounds as though you are being extremely cautious and three liters sounds about right.

Mike

If it was an even numbered day you should have used even oil instead of odd oil. That could be your problem.

Damn! I knew I forgot something! Oh well, I guess I'll have to set up the winch and flip the bike upside down to drain it through the fill hole since that's the only way to properly correct this problem. Thanks for the reminder.

Now in all seriousness, I appreciate the info guys. I checked in the manual and it says 4.3 L. for a completely drained system (As in taking apart the motor) or 3.7 L with a filter change and 3.5 L. without a filter change. By the way Jeff, I did have the bike level to do the change and the level check. Since I have a garage (Sure are useful, aren't they?) I put the bike near the centre and use ratcheting straps attached to hooks screwed into the upright 2X4's in the walls (No drywall here!) and hooked to the passenger grab rails to bring the bike to vertical. I have to run the rear wheel onto a 2X10 to get adequate clearance for my tall drain pan, but since my garage floor has a pretty good slope to it, the bike wings up pretty vertical (I also have a 3/4 in. board under the front wheel.). Yes Dave, I mentioned in the original post that I did run the engine afterwards, but thanks for the reminder.

So, from the sound of the replies, it looks like a normal situation for our bikes. Of course, now I may be looking at some overflow since it's filled past the halfway mark. Oh well ... keeps the rust away.

Thanks again for the prompt replies guys.

Andy

I would have to say pretty much everything I have ever worked on is that way. Especially bikes. They may tell you 3.7 is full, but your going to have a mess. Better to start a bit low and top off a tick. From the looks of mine when I had the tank off the other day I got a bit much in mine last change. The left side of the big black box is seeping and the left rear carb had oil around it. My 900 Vulcan was relly pickey. you get to much in it and it could be as much as a 1/2 cup and it would puch it out into the breather and then all down the side of the engine case and your leg.