IGNORED

Fuel pump *&#t the bed

headdoc

I fired the bike up the other day just to run it for a while. It ran for 30 sec and died. Tried to restart it 3 or 4 times with no luck... Just cranked until battery started going down. I didn't hear the pump working so I pulled the side cover and checked the pump...no clicking and no fuel. So off to the VR site I went to read up on what others here had posted. It didn't take long to find the fix. I ordered a new set of fuel pump points from Powersportswarehouse.com. The item number is 18-4615 made by TourMax High Performance Equipment. The points were $33.95 plus $21.58 for shipping. Much better than $250.00 to $300.00 from the aftermarket or dealer. It only took 15 Min to install the points after the pump was removed. One hour for the total job start to finish with a little break in there too. Works like new again. VR does it again...I LOVE THIS SITE!! icon14.gif

Mark (headdoc)

I fired the bike up the other day just to run it for a while. It ran for 30 sec and died. Tried to restart it 3 or 4 times with no luck... Just cranked until battery started going down. I didn't hear the pump working so I pulled the side cover and checked the pump...no clicking and no fuel. So off to the VR site I went to read up on what others here had posted. It didn't take long to find the fix. I ordered a new set of fuel pump points from Powersportswarehouse.com. The item number is 18-4615 made by TourMax High Performance Equipment. The points were $33.95 plus $21.58 for shipping. Much better than $250.00 to $300.00 from the aftermarket or dealer. It only took 15 Min to install the points after the pump was removed. One hour for the total job start to finish with a little break in there too. Works like new again. VR does it again...I LOVE THIS SITE!! icon14.gif

Mark (headdoc)

Mark,

You found the $55 answer!!!

I pasted your post to STAR forum to help out some pump needy people there.

Passing their thanks to you for finding a affordable answer!!!!!

That one should be put in a permanent tech thread! Hey Freebird!

Luckily my pumps were replaced under warranty.

Mike G

The other solution and I think it's even cheaper is to swap to a Mr. Gasket 3psi "elctronic" pump. I haven't swapped mine yet but i have it on hand for when I need it. Remove the plastic housing and it mounts right where the old one was. MR gasket pump goes for around $35 at most loal parts places

The other solution and I think it's even cheaper is to swap to a Mr. Gasket 3psi "elctronic" pump. I haven't swapped mine yet but i have it on hand for when I need it. Remove the plastic housing and it mounts right where the old one was. MR gasket pump goes for around $35 at most loal parts places

Seems like those who have put the Mr Gasket pump on have two issues.

1) you need extra pieces for hose angles

2) you will then need to use the petcock every time you turn off the key.

#2 to me would be,,, well, #2. Darn pesky to say the least.

New contacts sounds good to me.

Mark (headdoc)

Wish I'd have had that info when my pump went down. Saw the original post about 2 weeks after I bought the new one.....:mo money: Next time... :big-grin-emoticon:

There are several of us who have posted this fix. From what I've read with the mr. Gskt. You may also need to drill some additional holes to mount it? The point fix is extremely easy and all you really need is a soldering iron and a screw driver. Here is a link to my post, I even added a how to video..... http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=80742

There are several of us who have posted this fix. From what I've read with the mr. Gskt. You may also need to drill some additional holes to mount it? The point fix is extremely easy and all you really need is a soldering iron and a screw driver. Here is a link to my post, I even added a how to video..... http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=80742

Glad to see there is a fix instead of having to replace.

As much as I have read & posted on fuel pump, this week was first I saw of a source for replacing points,,, thanks.

Mike G

My stock fuel pump has failed me twice. First under warrenty so no cost and second time being on my dime I replaced it with the aircraft type. It does take some additional fittings but it is positive shutoff so no having to turn off the petcock and no holes have to be drilled. Hopefully it is a better pump than stock.

Seems like those who have put the Mr Gasket pump on have two issues.

1) you need extra pieces for hose angles

2) you will then need to use the petcock every time you turn off the key.

#2 to me would be,,, well, #2. Darn pesky to say the least.

New contacts sounds good to me.

That's why I wanted to keep the OEM pump + on and off is very easy.

My stock fuel pump has failed me twice. First under warrenty so no cost and second time being on my dime I replaced it with the aircraft type. It does take some additional fittings but it is positive shutoff so no having to turn off the petcock and no holes have to be drilled. Hopefully it is a better pump than stock.

Aircraft type? Please advise part number and manufacturer.

My pump is working fine so I don't want to replace the brushes/points. However, I have a long ride planned for next year and would like to have an on-the-road fix if it dies.

RR

question can i do that to a firs gen pump never took it apart and dont want to if i dont have to but if the points on it can be replaced i would go that route if possible one good thing is when i get the 2nd gen back if ever i do i will know how to fix that one :cool10::cool10::cool10:

I'm still baffled by this bike needing a fuel pump as it is carb and none of my old like 92 GS1100 Suzuki and KZ 650 had a pump that I remember. So if you replace the points, it sounds as though thats the piece of the pie that goes bad, not necessarly the pup its self.

It cost about 50 for the pump and around 20 for the several brass fittings I used to make it work in the same location and with the original hoses. All it takes is a slight bend in each of the mounting brackets and it bolts up to one of the two original holes with an original bolt. I purchased two 1/8" npt to 5/16" hose connectors, a hose to hose union, a 1/8" street 90, a 1/8" close nipple, a 1/8" npt 90 and a short piece of 5/16 hose and two hose clamps. This changes the in/out from each side of the new pump to copy the in/out to be on the same side like the original pump. Only two wires to splice into with what ever connection you choose. Very easy and I'm hopeing this one last longer than the last two OEM pumps. It has the positive shut off so no need to turn off petcock each time you stop. It is the Facet 40171 http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/eppages/facetpumps.php?clickkey=250753

progress.gif

What PSI do we need to stay under? What about one like this? Its hard to tell exactly how big these other pumps are from just pics.

This pump with fittings is longer than the Oem. The manufacturer (airtek) says the dimensions of pump is 2.8 x 2.8 x 8.2 inches - by the time you add the fittings to each end the pump may be too long ? Btw this is the spare pump I carry in my MGB.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Airtex-E8016S-Electric-Fuel-Pump/dp/B000C1LW0E#productDetails]Amazon.com: Airtex E8016S Electric Fuel Pump: Automotive@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/413-4UchsUL.@@AMEPARAM@@413-4UchsUL[/ame]