IGNORED

Oil change related question

Each and every time I change my oil I scratch my head wishing I had paid better attention to the spring location......does it go before the oil filter or after????? I've placed it both locations. I found nothing in the manual referencing this spring nor have I seen any related posts. Can anyone explain the location and purpose of this spring?

Thanks

john

Function of the 'plate washer' is to prevent the sharp edge at the end of the spring from damaging the oil filter seal when under compression. Over time, the spring can knife its way through the seal if no plate washer is used.

With spring at wrong side of oil filter, the oil passages doen't line up for proper flow of oil through the filter, so most oil goes unfiltered.

No spring allows the filter to slide along the bolt and again, the holes don't align for proper oil flow.

-Pete, in Tacoma WA USA

Thanks Pete...that makes sense. Now I'll go find a shim.:fingers-crossed-emo

I guess I need to find me a plate washer for the next time I change my oil. I have put 140,000+ miles on my bike and never remember seeing a plate washer. In fact, I bet it is rare that many of these 30 year old bikes have the washer. I suspect that most washers got thrown away with the filter it was stuck to.

It is amazing that I learn something on here everyday. :whistling:

RandyA

Those plate washers commonly get thrown away with the old filter. I need them often enough it's one of the few parts I actually keep in inventory at the shop. Yamaha packages them 5 per bag/ so you know I'm not the only one that uses a lot of them.

I bet your local dealer keeps them on hand too.

Make life simple and install a Rivco spin on adapter! Spring?? We don't need no stinkin' spring...

I had a RIVCO spin on adapter on my '90 and I want one for my '91, but RIVCO doesn't sell them for the VR any longer.

I wish the guy who salvaged my '90 would answer my email inquiries about the RIVCO from my old bike. He could make some more money...