IGNORED

Left leg to hot

EXECTIVE

I have no idea what kind of bike you have, but if it is a 2nd gen, you will find the heat is not specifically located to just one side. It can certainly seem like that at times, but even a slight cross breeze while riding will generally push the heated air from the radiator off to the leeward side. Turn around and the heat is felt on the opposite foot/leg.

Of course, nothing about that helps your complaint - the fact is, this bike does put out a lot of heat. The lower crash bar wind deflectors can help, but often not as you think. I ran a number of tests with a thermometer strapped to my lower legs and the air deflectors in different positions; if opened more than about 1/2" while riding at highway speeds, they actually draw the heated air out from behind the radiator and onto your leg instead of just having it blow back along the engine and out BEHIND your legs.

Conversely, when riding in COLD weather, having the deflectors open will actually REDUCE the cold air turbulence on the bottom of your arms. This is not noticeable unless you find yourself unexpectedly riding with only a light jacket in cold weather.

As for the solution to the heat problem on your legs, the best advice I have is leather chaps. Personally, I NEVER ride without either leather pants or leather chaps, and in the summer, the extra layer of leather that the chaps provide over my jeans actually make riding much cooler! This comes from two things - first, the outside layer of leather acts as an insulator against that engine heat (that's why I actually notice the effects of a slight cross-wind on my feet instead of my legs - boots only have one layer of leather, and it fits tight against the skin). Secondly, when I put my feet up on the highway pegs, a strong flow of air is channeled up my leg between the chaps and my jeans, cooling my legs. In the winter, leather over pants are better because the closed top prevents this flow of air up the legs.

I can tell you shorts are not the answer. I have taken a quick couple of trips to the corner stor and it aint the ticket. Lol Seriously though I see lots of folks here in Fla ride in shorts. Ill run the mile or so to the store but thatss about it.