IGNORED

What are my options?

Momamo's 99 has a cracked cowling and very bad scuffs behind the barons sticker. Inside the whole right side plastic tabs are gone so nothing to hold the screws in place. I have the right side secure with plastic wire ties. I'm not going to pay $450 for a new one so what are my options? I seen a used one sell on Ebay for $75 one time but probably never again. Maybe it's time for a beer 30 cowling hooter. Anybody any good at plastic repair. Getting close to paint time.

Momamo's 99 has a cracked cowling and very bad scuffs behind the barons sticker. Inside the whole right side plastic tabs are gone so nothing to hold the screws in place. I have the right side secure with plastic wire ties. I'm not going to pay $450 for a new one so what are my options? I seen a used one sell on Ebay for $75 one time but probably never again. Maybe it's time for a beer 30 cowling hooter. Anybody any good at plastic repair. Getting close to paint time.

I think you should buy her a shiny new one!

I seen a used one sell on Ebay for $75 one time but probably never again.

Frog man,

I just saw a 2nd gen, liquid silver fairing on ebay this morning for $75.00 that had a couple minor scratches on the right side by the eyebrow..

Im trying to locate it again and if I find it I will send you the link..

found it...its up to $81.00 right now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/YAMAHA-ROYAL-STAR-VENTURE-XVZ-FAIRING_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ35560QQihZ012QQitemZ220203796238QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

If you want to do the plastic solvent repair route. Go to Lowes and buy a can of ABS solvent (it has a blue label) clean the crack with acetone or MEK then lay some of that fiberglass mesh that is used for joining sheet rock together over the cleaned body part then start laying up layers of the solvent. The repair will become a fiberglass reinforced solid layer of ABS.

Easy to do just takes a while for thick layers of the solvent to get fully hard.

If you want to do the plastic solvent repair route. Go to Lowes and buy a can of ABS solvent (it has a blue label) clean the crack with acetone or MEK then lay some of that fiberglass mesh that is used for joining sheet rock together over the cleaned body part then start laying up layers of the solvent. The repair will become a fiberglass reinforced solid layer of ABS.

Easy to do just takes a while for thick layers of the solvent to get fully hard.

o.k. folks.

from my recent , repairs, i have found that the "abs plastic glue" from lowes, doesn't work nearly as well as the "home-made" version.

for some reason, the abs glue in a can, is VERY porous, meaning ,lots of air bubbles.the home-made variety, seems to turn out a LOT better.

remember, before you start a fairing repair,WAX THE PAINTED SIDE!!!!

that way, any "over application", that seeps through, is easily removed with a PLASTIC putty knife.

only leaves a hairline black mark.no repainting necessary.

just jt

o.k. folks.

from my recent , repairs, i have found that the "abs plastic glue" from lowes, doesn't work nearly as well as the "home-made" version.

for some reason, the abs glue in a can, is VERY porous, meaning ,lots of air bubbles.the home-made variety, seems to turn out a LOT better.

remember, before you start a fairing repair,WAX THE PAINTED SIDE!!!!

that way, any "over application", that seeps through, is easily removed with a PLASTIC putty knife.

only leaves a hairline black mark.no repainting necessary.

just jt

This wasn't my experience but I was just trying to reinforce a crack and fill a hole.

(:rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf: Rick I paid for 99.9 % of that scoot. @#!^ if she wasn't gonna paint it PINK she might get another .1% out of me. Besides I'm enjoying this. Ladies get a better price for parts. In her eyes it's still 50/50.:rotf::rotf: )

GERALDDDDDDDDDDD you are going to be in trouble. Keep up and it will be a Bright HOT PINK. Was considering being nice and just using Hot Pink Pinstriping. Black - Hot Pink , Teal-Purple-Hot Pink, Blue-Hot Pink, Purple-Hot Pink, etc. Oh the opinions.

By the way has anyone bought paint off of ebay to paint their bike. What was the results?