IGNORED

Multi motorcycle accident - 401 and 6 North

XV1100SE

Copied from the article....

18 riders travelling together were merging onto the highway when 3 made contact with each other, lost control, and went down. One of the male riders was taken to Hamilton General Hospital with "life-altering injuries" while the other two men sustained minor injuries.

From what I saw on the news it looked like cruisers, not sport bikes. This on ramp is fairly long. No other vehicles involved.

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/4154924-three-motorcycles-collide-one-rider-taken-to-hospital-with-serious-injuries/

This article is about the accident mentioned that took place in Hamilton - http://www.thespec.com/news-story/4153098-opp-identify-hamilton-man-killed-in-thursday-403-crash/

This is what the intersection looks like. Not sure if they were headed East or West onto the highway.

My thoughts were that they were side by side or too close together. 1st person of the three probably slowed down as they were merging onto the highway and caused the person behind to run into him.

Did group ride last weekend as a fundraiser for UW and was asked to explain some basic guidelines as I was one of the most experienced. Explained the basics such as not running stops, no side by side, riding to ability, etc. I took the back of the group and was horrified with two rookies who insisted on going side by side. Talked to them at scheduled stop and they litteraly told me to FOff. They were given an alternative, follow the rules or drop out of the ride. They elected to drop out,. Too bad, but was in the best interest of the group. Nerver ride side by side. :322:

This is what the intersection looks like. Not sure if they were headed East or West onto the highway.

My thoughts were that they were side by side or too close together. 1st person of the three probably slowed down as they were merging onto the highway and caused the person behind to run into him.

Don, it was actually the other 401 / Hwy 6 interchange, the one for going south into Hamilton and North into Aberfoyle, as you went on the overpass going south, my back seat pilot saw some of the other bikes parked at the side of the highway. Your guess is probably right though on what caused it.

The article mentioned that it was at 401 and 6 North. If you say it was at 6 South (for those that don't know, 6 North and 6 South are a couple miles apart off the 401).

A CTV news article (out of Kitchener - http://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/two-area-crashes-sends-three-people-to-hospital-1.1495318) says the accident occurred at 6 South

Edited by XV1100SE

I have had the Venture on the road for about a month and a half, working full time 70 hours a week, I only have 6K miles on it in that time. Not even 10 feet of that within 100 Yards of another motorcycle going the same direction. On my Roadstar I took someone on a Ride to the Tail, he rear ended me at a stop sign. Kind of leary ever since. Never did like group rides. And we have seen this many times. SO much can go wrong. even mechanical failures, brakes, Clutch cables, sticky throttles. No big deal alone, but in a group it has the domino effect.

Buddy was rear ended and injured in his 4 Runner. My brother hit a tree while skiing. I broke my hip painting the house. What I am saying is accidents can happen anywhere at anytime. So do what you love and enjoy life. Just be careful while you are doing it..

Mike

Buddy was rear ended and injured in his 4 Runner. My brother hit a tree while skiing. I broke my hip painting the house. What I am saying is accidents can happen anywhere at anytime. So do what you love and enjoy life. Just be careful while you are doing it..

Mike

:sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that:

I agree....I personally don't need to hear about these motorcycle accidents...they serve no purpose except to put fear in us of riding bikes....and I don't need that. As mike says, accidents will happen...everywhere...swimming, skydiving,driving cars, walking on sidewalks, my uncle was in a hospital bed being treated for something, and he fell off the bed when he was asleep, and he died. So what am i supposed to do? Not go to the hospital when i am sick? And how careful can i be when i am asleep? :draming:http://venturerider.org/forum/images/smilies/bang%20head.gif

:2cents:

:beer::7_6_3[1]: Get out there and enjoy life! Being scared is not going to get you anywhere.:15_8_211[1]:

I'm the opposite. I feel that hearing what other riders have done wrong or how their accident happened helps me to look out for similar situations.

It isn't to fear riding, but to be more aware.

Yes accidents happen but if we can avoid them by knowing what to watch out for, helps us. It's like being told not to hold an electrical item while standing in water, to watch the wheels of an oncoming car about to turn left in front of us... knowing what to watch out for is like a psychic experience.

Be aware, be safe®.

But we never ever get the full details of how the accidents happened...all we hear is someone got hurt, or some one was under the influence of alcohol...or the deceased left behind a wife and two young daughters, or how long the traffic jam was around the scene of accident, and how someone didn't make it to the hockey game cause of the accident etc etc. :confused07:

:beer:

I agree with XV1100SE The more you hear the more aware and alert you are for such things, Same as I read a lot here, to see what problems people have, so I can head them off or quickly guess where to start when it happens to me. You should always be scared of a motorcycle anyways, soon as you toss your leg over the seat something can go wrong, and you can be dead right. Soon as you think you got it, It'll get you. And sometimes even before that.

I'd rather learn from other people's mistakes. Post it up!

I hate group rides because I am a professional driver, and in group rides every common sense defensive riding technique seems to get tossed out the window. it's a dangerous act because your welfare depends largely on the mechanical condition and riding experience of the bikes and riders in front and behind you.

I have never seen assured clear distance on any group ride I have ever seen in any picture video, or in person of any of the 3 million miles I have driven.

It's 3 to 5 seconds at any speed and you add a second for various things like over 40 MPH, Wet roads, fog, rain, darkness, ice snow, following a tailgater, and so on.

And I think you need to add two seconds if you run a MC tire, My Darkside plug.

I think if your want to run a group, you start at one point and agree to meet at the ending point. Don't bunch it up and try to be traffic cops and control traffic.

But we never ever get the full details of how the accidents happened...all we hear is someone got hurt, or some one was under the influence of alcohol...or the deceased left behind a wife and two young daughters, or how long the traffic jam was around the scene of accident, and how someone didn't make it to the hockey game cause of the accident etc etc. :confused07:

:beer:

I agree. It is nice to know that something has happened, but the real payoff is what happened and how/why? In this case we've surmised that these folks were riding two abreast. Could be, but that alone won't cause an accident. Did someone run into the rider and force him into the truck? A throttle stick open? A brake lock up? These are the kinds of things I think the ongoing investigation will reveal.

Now, having said that, I am certain that no one on this site is trying to scare anyone else (and I'm sure it wasn't the intent of Chabicheka's comment to accuse anyone of it).

Please keep us posted on developments in this investigation.

Thanks.