IGNORED

Is this typical Performance for 1st Gen 1300

Guest Bigin

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At the last Venture West III there were several scoots that averaged 50mpg +. I pulled 50 up thru the canyon to Susanville and 51mpg coming back after a carb sync. The high milage was mostly in 5th gear and cruisin'... Around town before the sync it sucked gas like a horse eatin oats...but now after the sync it's doing much better.... around 35+ So maybe 50+ milage is nothing more than not twistin' the right hand grip quite as much.:whistling:

So maybe 50+ milage is nothing more than not twistin' the right hand grip quite as much.:whistling:

Right, right. My '83 is a little different than most, but I seem to get the best MPG's when I'm riding 2-up with my wife, on the 2 lane country backroads. Why? Because she doesn't like me to twist the grip. Best I ever got was 51 mpg, ran thru a whole tank without going over 60mph and not much stopping. Worst mileage I get is one-up when I'm riding beside my son (more like trying to keep up with my son). Mostly WOT and redline. Fun, but not good for MPG's.:sign woo hoo: :bikersmilie:

Worst mileage I get is one-up when I'm riding beside my son (more like trying to keep up with my son). Mostly WOT and redline. Fun, but not good for MPG's.:sign woo hoo: :bikersmilie:

Hdhtr and I ran about 70 miles back up Hwy 395 to Susanville, and we went into the triple digits for the better part of half of it... Dropped the milage down into the city street level.:whistling:

Rode 90 mile yesterday through the steep hills and 60 mph sweepers again working it hard, grinding the toes of my boots, and got 41mpg. The chuff is almost gone, being replaced with the sweet sound of internal combustion. Pulls from dead stop with no throttle, jsut feed clutch out reasonably. What a sweet bike. Thanks for all the help folks. Dont go away though, still have numerous issues, next being rear/front brake, clutch slipping, poss fork rebuild. Again you guys are great!

Yes Jeremy the intake valves I believe had carbon issues. Dealer said there was some during the adjust. Cant know if its helping but when I got it back from the dealer there was a fair amount of pinging after the valve adjust that was not there before. It has since calmed down and almost non existent even on 89 octane. My thinking is carbon on top the pistons is helped by the Sea Foam and Ring free. Coming along though I think the mileage should be better. Another carb sync is in the future to be sure.

Congrats Bigin! Sounds like it's sorting out. Now just ride her - and enjoy. You're damn lucky you can - rides are pretty few and far between in New England.

You can waste a whole lot of energy with worry. And not be enjoying the ride. Toss it aside for a while!

Yeah, am fortunate here with weather. Not typical Im told. Was 70 yesterday. Took advantage again, 120 miles through Jasper and HWY 123. Reminded me a lot of Colorado riding, with no traffic. Never thought Arkansas would be this great for riding.

Yeah I do worry too much, ask my wife, no on second thought. My equipment has to be squared away though, or it just is not as enjoyable. Im a little neurotic that way. Served me well in bush Alaska all these years though. Thanks for the smell the roses reminder.

Yeah I do worry too much, ask my wife, no on second thought. My equipment has to be squared away though, or it just is not as enjoyable. Im a little neurotic that way. Served me well in bush Alaska all these years though. Thanks for the smell the roses reminder.

Yup, I have the same problem. I always provide advice that I can't heed myself. I try but I can't help "what's that noise?" etc. Always tinkering. Made me yearn for a new bike with warranty this spring, but I don't think that would even cure the worries. Then I'd miss the garage time, being one with the machine inside and out.

70 degrees? Glad you're getting out on the road. Have a ride for me.

Read thru this entire thread.

Looks like you have solved about 90 percent of the problem.

You mentioned plug wires might not be correct, early on. Maby sombody put in auto wires ?? maby I missed, it but did you replace the plug wires yet with NGK, and the wires should be solid core copper wire, not carbon auto plug wire.

Also, I might suggest pulling out the TCI Unit, Drying it out, and checking for cold solder joints in side the box where the plugs connect to the circuit board. This is not a real commom problem but it does pop up. These box's do get moisture in them, and bad solder joints.

One more comment, you might have some holes in the Carb Diaphrams. ????

Yes, I think the wires are carbon, at least look like it in the plug cap. Is this involved to get to the coils, and the TCI at the same time? Appears the tank cover and the carb inlets must come off. The diaphrams were in very bad shape and were replaced.

Ok, you need to remove the Entire Air Cleaner box, Easy, Lossen four clamps top of carbs, It comes right out.

( Check this E-Bay Auction # for Plug Wire Set, Item number 220065204107 )

Then you will have to remove the Battery, and Battery Box.

( check for Acid Leaks from the battery, clean up with bakeing Soda )

The four screw holding the TCI in place are #3 Phillips. Use Apex Tips in a 1/4 Socket, with 1/4 ratchet. They will be TIGHT.

( NOTE: if you reinstall it in the stock position, get some new Allen Head bolts, this will make it eaiser to remove next time )

Once you have the TCI out, the Plug Wires are Easy to Replace.

You just screw the cap off of each Coil !!

( Be sure to dissassemble the plastic two wire plug to each coil and clean the contacts, spray with CRC 2-26 contact cleaner )

Replace wires with NGK, Wires, Caps and new plugs.

Open the TCI, and put in warm oven at about 110 deg F for 4 or 5 hours. Be carefull on the heat.

then use a Pen soldering iron, and rosin core solder, resolder the Connector plugs to the Circuit board. If you don't feel comfortable with this job, take it to a TV Repair Guy. Or, maby a Ham Radio Guy that might be in your Neighborhood.

Also, while you have all this open and ACCESS ACCESS !!!

I suggest, you Replace the Starter Solinoid,

Resolder both ends of both Battery Cables. ( pull the grounding bolt and CLEAN CLEAN IT !!! BEFORE REINSTALLING THE GROUND CABLE) ( Be sure to clean the Starter Wire Stud, and after re installing your Resolderd Red Cable, I suggest covering the Stud with some rubber Silastic material. to keep it from Corroding again !!!

Replace ALL ALL of your Fuses's, ( Why?? , why not ? )

Clean and check tension where the fuses mount in the fuse holder. ( its a piece of junk )

Also: Every time you " SEE " An Electrical Connector( No mater what color it is ) while you are doing all this Fun Work, pull it apart, and Spray down with CRC Brand 2-26, electrical connection cleaner !! ( Avialable at Home Depot ) ( This is GOOD STUFF, I used it on Aircraft Electronics for about 30 years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! )

I expect you will have this all completed by the End of January !! Right???

Georges, thanks for the detailed instructions. i can tell you have been around aircraft. Owned a couple over the years. I have not yet probed below the carb intakes tray but have been anticipating going there. I like the idea of doing all the preventative and needed maintenance while in there. I too use electrical cleaner whenever something is accessible. If the weather ever turns winter here for any length of time, I just may get it done by Feb. I had already marked those wires on Ebay as a watch item also. Thanks and Happy New Year.

A lot of posts to this one eh? Thought I'd add another...

Had an '85 VR for 5 yrs. Now have an '87. Both run smooth and pull impressively in top gear from as slow as 65-70km/h. When I'm passing someone, I rarely need to gear down unless below 80km/h. If I'm below 65km/h I generally shift down "just because" so can't comment on speed slower than that.

Having had many bikes in the past including gold wings, I'm totally sold on the VR and when I'm ready to replace this one, I'll be getting another, probably a second gen.