IGNORED

slipping clutch

merrride

I read about replacement clutches from PCW and also about putting in an "I" basket.My question is, since I have a slipping problem only and not a whining problem, should I only replace the pressure plates or do the whole works.And is PCW the only answer other than Yamaha dealers.:confused24:

You don't say what bike or how many miles, but Sylvester is probably right- just replace the clutch spring and half plate.

There is a member here that also sells a spring upgrade. Should be as good, but my preference is PCW. If you want to spend a lot more money for the same result, you can buy a purple pressure plate that you can't see in the engine. Seems kinda pointless to me since it doesn't do anything better.

Goose

I did the Skydoc_17 clutch upgrade last week on my bike and love it. You can find it in the classified section of the site, under member venders. The upgraded spring and full clutch disc (to replace the half disc) was $90......while your in there you might as well replace all the clutch discs for the extra $70. The job took only a couple of hours and was worth the time and money spent...

i have the same question. are you going to pull a trailer also. what kind of bike do you have. will be lurking in the back round. i can feel mine slip if i crank hard on it.

If you can feel it slip when you crank on it, it is already a weak spring and may be creeping all of the time. The sooner you replace it the less likely you are to need new plates or steels.

I had the same trouble on my 86 Venture about 4 years ago. I have a parts bike and I took the pressure plate off the parts bike and doubled up with the pressure plate on my good bike. It has'nt slipped since. I pull a trailer and it will do a wheelie in first with the trailer hooked up. Cheap, effective fix, Whallah. :cool10:

I did the Skydoc_17 clutch upgrade last week on my bike and love it. You can find it in the classified section of the site' date=' under member venders. The upgraded spring and full clutch disc (to replace the half disc) was $90......while your in there you might as well replace all the clutch discs for the extra $70. The job took only a couple of hours and was worth the time and money spent...[/quote']

Plus one here for the Skydoc kit. Did it about 30,000 miles ago on my 88 and still solid.

I put in the PCW spring and full plate way back around 35,000 miles, now with over 100,000, I still have zero slippage, all while still using the original stock clutch plates. Half of those miles daily commuting, and the rest very heavily loaded and touring two-up.

I personally do not believe the Barnett pressure plate and coil springs last one bit longer - just cost a lot more. I do believe it is a good product, just does not add any significant value IMHO.

Goose

If you have the extra cash & have a Trike or will be pulling a trailer...

I recommend the the Barnett, Barnett High Strength Springs (green), & extra clutch plate (to replace 1/2 plate).

You will not be sorry. If you are a two wheeler/no trailer, SkyDoc's is great.

JB