IGNORED

Vogel VI / Deals Gap 2013 events,thoughts and comments...

Barrycuda

I just returned from Vogel (yesterday) and my round trip took me 1,380 miles door to door. My first time at Vogel, but everyone made it seem as if it was 5th time. the weather was overall fantastic, cooler for some, great for me. Blairsville, Georgia is a small town in North Georgia that I always see on TV. Small town, great vibe, laid back folks, friendly, quaint, within 20 minutes of N.Carolina border. A town you see on the Lifetime channel :rotf:

Being my first time, took the scenic route after breaking off I-75 at Macon and around the Athens perimeter. the N.Georgia mountains at US 129 North was interesting. sort of a prequel to deals gap. Once there, I arrived ahead of those staying at Seasons Inn, while others were at the Vogel campgrounds. Soon after, Frank D, Stacey and Sharon, Kim from Virginia, carbon one and wife, GA wildKat and Micheal, Awesome Aussies and my self proclaimed guardians B2Mom and Dad arrive. We dine at this place called FATZ, where the food was in mountainous proportions, but SO good. We stayed outside the motel chatting getting to know one another and story swapping. The motel as a whole was decent however, some people had issues which seemed to be resolved quickly as can be.

Next morning some of us meet for breakfast at THE HOLE IN THE WALL diner. Very small town, but cozy place. Head from there to catch the Vogel campground folks to go to Deals Gap, via a route through Cherohala skyway. My first real experience riding through mountains and the gradient incline and decline, where me and my clutch weren't sure what gear was the right one :confused24: I eventually got into a groove and settled in. Then we arrive at deals gap for some food before we hit the Tail of the dragon. Here, I get a chance to chat a bit in detail with Jamie, Lewis, Yammer Dan and the seasons Inn crew. They were always willing to help give advice and tips. Since this was my first time on the dragon,:shock3: I used their advice to "ride my ride" and stay to the right for crotch rockets zooming by. I also employed my Ride like a pro techniques of head and eyes looking. Well, Although the beginning was a bit nerve wracking, I did seem to settle in and take the bike to the lean limit by scraping pegs for the first time. I did not drop the bike or cross double yellow. As for my actual performance, you may have to ask B2MOM/Dad and Carbon One who were behind me. The fact I made it, did not crash or cross yellow line was an accomplishment. On the way TO the dragon, some of those roads were slightly nutty themselves.

After we at the motel chose to eat at a salad/pizza buffet across the motel. More chatting and good nights.

Friday was VOGEL!! Me and Kim ride down to register at 9 am and Lewis and Jamie were late blaming each other :rotf: The event went well, although 99% of the day was a bit colder and damp. At the event I learned more about Yammer Dan, met Cowpuc and Cheryl, Jamie's wife, Dana and his wife, ectswJoe and his wife, Lewis' wife, Pastor Earl and his wife, Skid, Charles and others (my apologies for not mentioning you by name, I forgot as of this writing:confused07:). If you never met Cowpuc and Cheryl, they are ultra happy, infectious people. The food and catering were down right delicious. Lewis did a fantastic job hosting the event, although it seems commonplace for him to get distracted and go 59 different ways... BUT...he is EXTREMELY caring about his time and efforts for St. Jude's. Vogel state park is pretty amazing with cabins, a small beach, water etc. very pretty. After the closing ceremonies of Vogel, we all are asked by Cowpuc to SIGN HIS BIKE WITH A SHARPEE!!!! mainly over stickers, but his first gen body also had signatures on it. We dined again at Fatz' and I sat with Pastor Earl and his wife. We had good food and great conversations. I packed for the night as I left Saturday, trying to avoid the heavy storms predicted to hit Georgia ,so I had to forgo Dillard House. Hit the road at 530 am and returned to home about 230 pm... I had a WONDERFUL TIME and glad I was able to participate with St. Judes as well as meet some amazing people. This site and it's members are amazing !! Amazing such as the following:

One member had a almost stripped bare rear tire, so we ALL pull over and call and find out where and how to get him a rear tire. Some of the group actually stayed and waited until it was solved before continuing on. the camaraderie was great, all working together. Another member took a spill and again, we all banned together to make sure they and the bike were OK, and again,some stayed while things were to be straightened out. One member had a bike that refused to start, due to a drained battery and we had to push/ kick start the bike a few times.

The fact we all stayed as a group, and gave and gave tirelessly is what I admire and like the most about being a VR member here. I will always be a member, regardless if I ride a RSV, GW, or a unicycle. Where I am from up, it was not like this and people usually fended for themselves. I'd much rather have this family any day.

The following is a personal thank you to the following who actually took the time to make me feel part of, made me comfortable and treated me like as if we were lifelong friends:

Patti/Don : Words aren't enough as they always have their arms and hearts open to me. I admire such people and hope one day can pay it forward. they are the best!:bighug:

Jamie and his wife: from the first encounter at Fatz, he was huggin on me as if we just rode cross country together. Invites to his home with my wife and kids. He and his wife was unbelievable.

Aussie Annie and Al: Great people, kind, warm, able to take and give friendly jabs. learned they also would do anything for you if need be. Going to miss them.

Stacey and Sharon: Shared trial and tribulations of home life and for me actually learning others deal with some of what I am currently going through. thanks for the chats!!

Kim from Virginia: great insight to modifications, equipment, riding and overall conversations.

Carbon one/Larry and his wife: very easy going guy with no issues talking bikes, life, riding etc. He was involved in everything we did. Another great guy. his wife was also very engaging.

Pastor Earl and his wife: again, great people and great conversations.

Lewis: for inviting me to this event, organizing it, the catering and caring about what he does so much. next time be ON TIME !!!!:whistling: He is definitely a guy who cares about people and his helping people.

Yammer Dan; a unique individual. He is a good guy to chat with and shoot the sh*t, about. He seemed quiet, but once he chats, you learn a little something about the man.

Cowpuc and Cheryl: for making great conversation, interviewing me about the 9/11 attacks (as if they worked for CNN) and for us signing your bike. made the mood very light and happier.

Tricia (GA WildKat)/ Michael: Glad to finally have met you and for me to be part of this event with you both.

and to anyone else I may have missed by name. Does not mean my feelings are anything less than appreciative, just those above were the ones I were surrounded with the most.

Thanks for reading and have a safe day!!

Barry

Really glad you enjoyed it !!! This was our first time too and it will not be the last. We were made to feel right at home. You missed a great meal at Dillard house we did not eat again till this morning. I was really glad to put faces to the names, Scott and Cheryl were a trip and I inspire to be able to just ride one of these days.

Thanks to all the great folks that put this on and those that attended a great time was had for a great cause and we hope to be able to make the ride to Memphis.

Barry, I could not have said it better! It was our first Vogel experience too and it not only met our already high expectations but far exceeded any we could have only dreamed of. I felt as though I really belonged to a group not just someone attending and looking in from the outside. The Vogel area has become one of our favorite riding areas and we will return. One of the things that makes this whole experience so wonderful is that while we were having a wonderful time funds were being generated to help out such a great cause...St Jude's Children's Hospital. We are so glad we had the opportunity to meet you Barry but getting to actually know you was even better. See you at the next ride!!! Sharon

Thanks Barry. You are a real sweetheart too and you make it easy to be around you and like you.

And to Joe and your wife, Bobbi...we so enjoyed meeting you and spending time together.

We had a great group at Vogel this year, but we also had a fantastic group at the Motel, Seasons Inn. We had the best time just chatting up each other between rides and after dinner at night. We gathered all the chairs we could find (in and out of the rooms) and who wasn't sitting, was looking at / working on bikes. OR trying to figure out how to get a set of luggage home on a 2 wheel WING (and was not pulling a trailer...). LOL! Now that was a good time!!! Then there was a visit from a group from the campground / cabins at Vogel. That was a great surprise and there was alot more chatting, joking and of course, picture taking. The owners at the Seasons' Inn offered to take the group shot of us and was promptly weighed down by SEVERAL cameras.

There was that one time, after the banquet was over at Vogel, when some were leaving...that someone couldn't find their way out of the park...and had to be pointed in the right direction...and helping someone get their bike started...a little push here and there. Yes, this is a great Family Barry and thanks for noticing that. Whatever and whenever you need something, we are here. We don't care what you ride you are one of us.

We did manage to make someone cry though...I won't say who, but I will let him tell you about it when he gets the opportunity to log on here. He was speechless for quite a while but when he was able to talk...it was all good! I believe Vogel was a huge success, not just because Lewis and Charlene are great people and can plan a great meet...but because the "family" came together and opened their hearts...they helped the kids of St. Jude and they helped each other. It doesn't get any better than this.

It was a pleasure to put a face with the name. I am so glad you enjoyed you visit, just wish you would have been able to stay for the Dillard House. Glad you made it home safe. Your welcome here anytime, we have plenty of space if your ever in the Newnan area. Thank you for the kind words, but its everyone who attends that makes Vogel successful. Looking forward to riding with you again.

Good post Barry, I am glad that you were able to attend as I had been following your earlier postings of wanting to go. You have hit upon what is best about this site, it's not the bikes, it's not the technical info, it's the people.

I have gone to Vogel 3 times, and loved every one of them. You have met some of the very best people this site has. It's easy to be infected by these folks as they are mold breakers, they are all very unique and have huge hearts. Some of them are VERY good friends of mine, and I would do anything for if they needed me too.

I am very happy that you were able to see what this place is REALLY about....the people :)

Good on all you folks that always come through and make this happen. Lewis, Charlene, Jamie, Paula, Dana, Missy and countless others that step up and grab the bull by the horns. Y'all are my heroes and I look up to every one of you :thumbsup2:

Ok, Ok,It was me who cried, :crying::crying::crying:and Charlene too, I dont mind saying so.............you guys all did it, but Patti and Don got it started way too early, it usually starts when I take the mic and try to thank everyone, but Patti and Don shocked me, really really shocked me, so thats why I was a blubbering fool. I will post the Video once I get it cut down and edited, its over 16 minutes long. Thanks again.

Thanks Barry. You are a real sweetheart too and you make it easy to be around you and like you.

And to Joe and your wife, Bobbi...we so enjoyed meeting you and spending time together.

We had a great group at Vogel this year, but we also had a fantastic group at the Motel, Seasons Inn. We had the best time just chatting up each other between rides and after dinner at night. We gathered all the chairs we could find (in and out of the rooms) and who wasn't sitting, was looking at / working on bikes. OR trying to figure out how to get a set of luggage home on a 2 wheel WING (and was not pulling a trailer...). LOL! Now that was a good time!!! Then there was a visit from a group from the campground / cabins at Vogel. That was a great surprise and there was alot more chatting, joking and of course, picture taking. The owners at the Seasons' Inn offered to take the group shot of us and was promptly weighed down by SEVERAL cameras.

There was that one time, after the banquet was over at Vogel, when some were leaving...that someone couldn't find their way out of the park...and had to be pointed in the right direction...and helping someone get their bike started...a little push here and there. Yes, this is a great Family Barry and thanks for noticing that. Whatever and whenever you need something, we are here. We don't care what you ride you are one of us.

We did manage to make someone cry though...I won't say who, but I will let him tell you about it when he gets the opportunity to log on here. He was speechless for quite a while but when he was able to talk...it was all good! I believe Vogel was a huge success, not just because Lewis and Charlene are great people and can plan a great meet...but because the "family" came together and opened their hearts...they helped the kids of St. Jude and they helped each other. It doesn't get any better than this.

Quickstep (Alan) and I attended our second Vogel and enjoyed meeting old and new VR members. So happy we were part of raising so much for St Jude's.

Enjoyed your post Barry........ And slinging the BS at times :crackup: now you will understand why we have returned to the states! THE PEOPLE, more than the tourist thing. We have some amazing friends, and some awesome memories :bighug:

I was the unfortunate bad tire victim and I thank everyone at the event for sticking by me until I could get things sorted out. Thanks to Frank D for noticing the tire and Earl & his wife for sticking with me for 5 hours while I got my tire replaced (no bargain there at the Cherokee County Cycle place though). Even though I got there after every one had completed their run, Yammer Dan accompanied me on my first ever run on the Dragon, thanks Dan! The luncheon was great and the anticipation of winning prizes was secondary to real reason for the rally. I'm sure everyone felt as I did when Lewis got choked up after the presentation of the check by B2 Mom & Dad, knowing that even our small efforts will help those kids in need greatly.

Thanks, Lewis for organizing this event and thanks ever so much for your dedication to helping those sick children and making a difference in the lives of others. As a parent of a child who survived a life-threatening disease I commend all involved in the event and everyone in Venturerider.org who contributes in any way in making a difference in the lives of the children and their families who need our help.