IGNORED

Raising Handlebars

chag67

I know one option is the 1.5" riser. I have ordered one and I hope that it will push the bar closer to me past the fairing to where I can rotate the handle bars forward giving me the extra height.

If that doesn't work, is there anything else that will give me a 2-3 inch rise in the handle bars? I

I know one option is the 1.5" riser. I have ordered one and I hope that it will push the bar closer to me past the fairing to where I can rotate the handle bars forward giving me the extra height.

If that doesn't work, is there anything else that will give me a 2-3 inch rise in the handle bars? I

If you ordered the spacers for the bars and have an after market chrome ignition cover, it's going to hit it and buckle it at full lock. Some people don't care/worry about it, but when I put those on mine and it did it, I took them off and sent them back. No use of putting chrome on and then scratching it all up. Kind of defeats the purpose of adding the bling.

I had the Barons risers for years until my recent Flanders bars update. The risers will work fine but as stated they will hit the ignition cover at full lock. I had the chrome cover and had to go back to the stock cover but it wasnt a big deal for me. The Barons will raise the height to a more comfortable level but the Flanders bars will give you that same height plus they have a more pull back feel. You can get away with the stock cables with the risers although some manipulation of the throttle cable may be necessary. With the Flanders bars you need a 2" longer cable. Im sure you will like the Barons risers.

If you go with the Barons and the Flanders you will need longer throttle cables, more like 3" to 4", and longer brake and clutch lines. With both it should put the grips just about where you want them!

As Richardracing mentioned the chrome ignition switch will interfere with full turn, but realistically those plastic chrome pieces end up getting all scratched up without risers! With the risers you may want to drill and tap holes for installing phony handlebar type extensions to keep your rubber mounts for the fairings. These extensions only have to be a couple inches long...

rstd bars , you will need the stock end weights as the rsv won't fit them. This is a better option than the risers, had risers and switched to these. Downside is they are wider and put your hands outside the fairing. need 2 1/2 longer throttle and pullback cables.

Are the extensions for the rubber mounts to the fairing required for the riser to work properly?

I'm going to try the riser first. If I need more height, I'll likely go with the Flanders bar too.

Is the installation of the riser difficult? I'm not mechanically inclined at all. Do the bolts have to be tightened to a specific torque?

They should be torqued to a specific torque. 23 Nm or 17 ftlb.

You can pinch the rubber dampers between the handlebars and the fairing and they will stay. I suggest you have a second (and maybe a third) person to help hold everything in place as you tighten the clamps down.

Without the rubber dampers, the fairing flexes and will likely crack.

To install the risers is not hard, just cumbersome. It helps a lot (I'm 6'4").

Also, the risers will hit the ignition cover. I just cut the cover to create the clearance needed. It is just plastic. But then, I don't really show off my bike unless it just had its annual bath.

RR

Also RR, after you installed the risers, are you able to rotate the bars forward more to give a bit more height in the handlebars?

I know they won't be near my shoulder height but I want the ends of the handlebars not to hit my knees when turning in parking lots.

Did you feel less tension in your shoulders after installing the risers?

Can someone post a link to the Flanders handlebars? I'm having trouble navigating their webpage to find a picture of what you guys are talking about.

https://www.phatperformanceparts.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=650-08763

https://www.phatperformanceparts.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=102-90-30006/102-90-40006

I have dealt with Phat Performance a few times and was satisfied with them and their customer service. :smile5:

• 2 weeks later...

So I installed the Baron's 1.5" risers yesterday. By myself too. Took me about 20 min. I was able wiggle one side and then the other. I guess I was lucky and didn't have to manipulate any of the wires or cables. I was also able to pinch the rubber spacers back between the handlebar and the fairing (very tough).

After installing the risers, I was able to rotate the bars forward, giving me a much need height increase. I'm 6'7" so any height is greatly appreciated. I will still likely go with the Flanders bars but these risers will work for now.

I went for a ride and love the new feel. I also feel more smooth and in better control through tight slow turns. Rotated the break and clutch and side mirrors. I know this will help my back and shoulders on longer rides.

While I was at it, I removed the double move trunk latch. I hated that.

• 1 year later...

All of the advertised risers state that they have been tested to work with the stock lines. Maybe, but when I unbolted my bars there is virtually no slack to work with. So what's the trick? Do I need to pull the fairing and unstrap the lines or what? Hopibg for a quick 10 minute job. Now I'm not so sure.

They should be torqued to a specific torque. 23 Nm or 17 ftlb.

You can pinch the rubber dampers between the handlebars and the fairing and they will stay. I suggest you have a second (and maybe a third) person to help hold everything in place as you tighten the clamps down.

Without the rubber dampers, the fairing flexes and will likely crack.

To install the risers is not hard, just cumbersome. It helps a lot (I'm 6'4").

Also, the risers will hit the ignition cover. I just cut the cover to create the clearance needed. It is just plastic. But then, I don't really show off my bike unless it just had its annual bath.

RR

Should not require splitting the fairing, I thought the same thing when I did mine on my 07, but I did need to cut a few tie wraps and maybe take some wires and cables out of the stays they are in. I had do some repositioning and tugging on cables and wire bundles. When you are able to get everything in place check the throttle for binding when at full stop on both left and right side. It is a bit fiddely, but it can be done, some take longer than others to do.

• 5 years later...
I had the Barons risers for years until my recent Flanders bars update. The risers will work fine but as stated they will hit the ignition cover at full lock. I had the chrome cover and had to go back to the stock cover but it wasnt a big deal for me. The Barons will raise the height to a more comfortable level but the Flanders bars will give you that same height plus they have a more pull back feel. You can get away with the stock cables with the risers although some manipulation of the throttle cable may be necessary. With the Flanders bars you need a 2" longer cable. Im sure you will like the Barons risers.

Is there an option that doesn't have more of a pull back? I already feel as if my elbows are at a 90 degree bend.