IGNORED

Slime mini air pump failed

VentureFar

Just sharing. Tried the CycleGear pump and it wouldn't go above 35 psi. Returned it. Bought the Slime mini pump and it pumped my rear Metz 880 up from 35 to 50 in no time. That was two weeks ago. I am leaving for Sturgis Monday and wanted to make sure the rear was up to 50 since it is new and the Slime pump started Squealing. I took it off and put it back on and it squealed again. Slime needs to be returned. Attached a bigger pump that I carry in my cage and pumped no problem.

Anyone else have an issue with the Slime pump at 50 pounds?

Thanks

VentureFar...

50 pounds sounds like an awfully hard tire to me. I am no expert but at pressures like that I think it would be more susceptible to breaking loose. May be good for burning rubber but you are minimizing your contact patch, Not to mention being tougher on pumps than is really necessary. Try 33 psi and see what you think about your ride.

Hi Syscrusher

This tire is a 150-90 and metzler recommends 50 psi.

See this thread- it shocked me too so I asked the forum. Many on this forum knew all about 50 psi on these Metzlers wear out quick

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=79805

Now I have to take a large compressor but I might break off all the plastic to take up less room.

VentureFar...

Edited by VentureFar

I read the thread and I'm still dazed. It is given as the "Max" pressure even on the tire and I typically like some margin under the max in many things, but not all. I have a VN2000 that I run on the darkside and I keep the pressure below 32 for it because the flexibility of the sidewall is integral to turning under that paradigm. I suppose one could get more miles out of the tire as long as they avoid burnouts which would be easier with the smaller contact patch. I am still unconvinced and I think Metz should work on their temp handling instead of getting people to over-inflate the tire. Don't you feel every little bump in the road with the tire that hard?

Tirerack article on tire inflation

I have a Slime Sport Pump in both bikes and I have given at least 10 as Christmas gifts and door prizes. Never heard of one going bad.

But like others, I max out rear at about 42.

Sure would not use it for RSV or RSTD fork pressure. 17 lbs is above max too. (or is that normal for First Gen?)

This one. Usually find at O'Rileys on the shelf, about $30.

http://www.gadgetjq.com/slime_box.jpg

50 pounds sounds like an awfully hard tire to me. I am no expert but at pressures like that I think it would be more susceptible to breaking loose. May be good for burning rubber but you are minimizing your contact patch, Not to mention being tougher on pumps than is really necessary. Try 33 psi and see what you think about your ride.

A lot of manufacturers are recommending 50psi in their tires to prevent sidewall flex. 33psi will only get you tire cupping and premature wear....

I read the thread and I'm still dazed. It is given as the "Max" pressure even on the tire and I typically like some margin under the max in many things, but not all. I have a VN2000 that I run on the darkside and I keep the pressure below 32 for it because the flexibility of the sidewall is integral to turning under that paradigm. I suppose one could get more miles out of the tire as long as they avoid burnouts which would be easier with the smaller contact patch. I am still unconvinced and I think Metz should work on their temp handling instead of getting people to over-inflate the tire. Don't you feel every little bump in the road with the tire that hard?

Tirerack article on tire inflation

I think your problem is you're comparing apple to oranges.. That link you provided is about car tires. MC tires are a whole 'nother animal. Rather than going into a long disertation about tire psi's try reading THIS...

Condor, I included that link to illustrate the effects of under and over inflation. These factors are similar for all round rubber bags of air rotated at speed in a load bearing application. Note that one of the positives of over-inflation is the perception of better handling felt through easier steering. The underlying fact is reduced contact patch and tendency to slip at higher force vectors. Increased wear is not a concern when I play it off against increased propensity to lose traction. I also like the additional shock absorption offered by a softer tire. I appreciate the link you sent and I will read it later but I take note that it is authored by a lay person and not an expert on tire physics. This quote: "The Honda spec of 33psi for these bikes is way too low and is designed for maximum comfort and grip but minimum tire life" is very telling however and agrees with my point of view concerning inflation pressures. Grip is the single most important characteristic of my tires.

I buy my tires from MC Tire in mission hills ca. They only sell and mount tires. Nothing else. They recommend I keep the new narrow Me888 at 38 and the rear at 50.

They told me that Metz rep told them these numbers and that is what they go by. The manufacturer 1st person directions.

So i do as they say.

Great debate guys.

Getting back to the slime pump. It sounds like I just got a lemon.

Is that the consensus ?

VentireFar... ( Monday to Sturgis )

Condor, I included that link to illustrate the effects of under and over inflation. These factors are similar for all round rubber bags of air rotated at speed in a load bearing application. Note that one of the positives of over-inflation is the perception of better handling felt through easier steering. The underlying fact is reduced contact patch and tendency to slip at higher force vectors. Increased wear is not a concern when I play it off against increased propensity to lose traction. I also like the additional shock absorption offered by a softer tire. I appreciate the link you sent and I will read it later but I take note that it is authored by a lay person and not an expert on tire physics. This quote: "The Honda spec of 33psi for these bikes is way too low and is designed for maximum comfort and grip but minimum tire life" is very telling however and agrees with my point of view concerning inflation pressures. Grip is the single most important characteristic of my tires.

You're still trying to compare the effects of lower pressure on a 4x car tire and trying to apply it to an MC tire, plus your recomendation of 33psi is bad advice. Most MC tires are designed to run at 40-42psi.., unless of course you want to go off roading and run balloon tires.. Max sidewall tire pressure is where you want to be, and I have never seen an MC tire that runs that low. MOF you keep saying that the contact patch is very important to you, but when the sidewall of an MC tire with low pressure goes into a turn the patch may be longer, but only half of it is making contact due to sidewall warping.

BTW isn't it about time to become a supporting member???

I'm also a lay person, and didn't realize you held a PHD in Physics...

Anyone else have an issue with the Slime pump at 50 pounds?

I bought the cheaper version of the Slime pump for $10 from the Walmart in Cody. Looks like the pic of the Sport Pump version. It worked very well for about 30 top-ups then quit pumping. It was still under warranty but the procedure was to return to the place of purchase. That was not going to happen anytime soon so I wrote to Slime and mentioned the situation and wondered if I could return it to my local Walmart. Unasked, Slime sent me a new pump postage paid by return mail. Can't beat that.

Opened up the old pump and found the pin between the gear and the crank had come out. Put it back in and it worked again for about 4 months before falling out again. Put it back in with some locktite and it worked for another year. This time the switch went so I turfed it. Still have the second pump which has not failed yet.

Probably got better than $10 worth of service out of the pump. Too bad they don't make them with a little better quality as they appear to be a perfect blend of size and performance to carry on an MC.

You're still trying to compare the effects of lower pressure on a 4x car tire and trying to apply it to an MC tire, plus your recomendation of 33psi is bad advice. Most MC tires are designed to run at 40-42psi.., unless of course you want to go off roading and run balloon tires.. Max sidewall tire pressure is where you want to be, and I have never seen an MC tire that runs that low. MOF you keep saying that the contact patch is very important to you, but when the sidewall of an MC tire with low pressure goes into a turn the patch may be longer, but only half of it is making contact due to sidewall warping.

BTW isn't it about time to become a supporting member???

I'm also a lay person, and didn't realize you held a PHD in Physics...

Because the effects are similar, as I said already. Do you refute it? Get specific. 38 is way too high for my dual sport bike. Interesting the picture of a sidewall flexing to make less contact - I would only agree for very low pressures where the actual mould of the tire comes into play otherwise it's largely just a big bag of gas. I have time left for paying up, don't see the need to rush things. I don't have a physics degree and that means I don't need to defer to another who also lacks those credentials. What is MOF? Mofo? Did you call me mofo? You're naughty.

• 4 weeks later...

Took Camos advise and called Slime. Told the situation - don't have receipt - bought 'somewhere" and overpressuring it to 50 #.

Nice lady said the one I have doesn't say it on the box but it isn't designed for 50# "so I will send you one that is designed for your application".

Wow - I am impressed!

Just arrived today.

That is good customer service. Way to go Slime!

VentureFar...

I am certainly not an expert on tires, I try to use the pressure recommended by the bikes owners manual or the tire markets recommended pressure. run my tires at 41 front and rear on the Dunlop 404's and get even wear and good handling. Only get about 6000 miles per rear, but that's another story. 50psi is higher pressure than I've ever heard of for a bike tire, but I've only been doing this since 1966:backinmyday: :whistling: have used one of those slime pumps for many years with never a problem.

I run my Avon Rear Veno at 50 psi as per the rating on the side of the tire. Tire seems to wear the best there for me.

Also use the Slime Pump when travelling and so far it has held together.

http://www.hdforums.com/forum/attachments/touring-models/188206d1306552773-on-board-tools-needed-for-the-ultra-classic-slime-pump-large-.jpg

The more pressure in the tire, the more weight it will handle, GVWR, and the cooler the tire will run, you can run anywhere up to what it says on the sidewall, but if you are heavy you had better be right there at the Max recommended PSI or your risking a blowout. Underinflated for the load on the tire will cause it to flex too much and thus cause friction and heat, that heat will soften the compounds that hold the tire together and the tire will either BLOW or delaminate.

At Stugis one year I think it was progressive that set up a text and weighed bikes as they came in and checked the Air in the tires. A gigantic number of bikes were underinflated by far, and a lot were overweight for the tire they had on.

I actually check the weight of my bike empty, loaded one and two up, and two up and loaded The rear tire needs the Max PSI to support the weight back there. And I have run it that way on two bikes over 70K miles. And most of that twisty southern roads on hot days with Iron Butt trips to get to the rides.

http://www.bikerenews.com/Stories_Archives/Motorcycle_tires.htm

You will never be overweight on the front of a bike. So don't worry about that too much. but when choosing a rear tire if you are two up or tow, you should be seeking the tire with the greatest Gross Weight Rating.