IGNORED

Gear Oil Drip source ? 07 RSV

While I was checking the rear tire pressure on my 2007 Midnight Venture this weekend (About 12k Miles on it) I noticed a few drips of Gear oil on the final drive unit. The drips seem to be coming from the area where the drive unit bolts to the swing arm. :depressed:

Not bad, but just enough to make the rear wheel have nasty gear oil drips on it. I like my bikes clean and drip free.

My question is Whats leaking ? I have resealed a few final drive units (Honda, Valk and Suzuki C90) but never a Yamaha.

How does the sealing etc work in this unit ?

Thanks !

Edited by Jimbob66

I was checking the rear tire pressure on my 2007 Midnight Venture this weekend (About 12k Miles on it) and noticed a few drips of Gear oil on the final drive unit. The drips seem to be coming rom the area where the drive unit bolts to the swing arm. :depressed:

Not bad, but just enough to make the rear wheel have nasty gear oil drips on it. I like my bikes clean and drip free.

My question is Whats leaking ? I have resealed a few final drive units (Honda, Valk and Suzuki C90) but never a Yamaha.

How does the sealing etc work in this unit ?

Thanks !

If it's motor oil it could be coming from the middle gear seal and runing down the drive shaft housing, or.... from the seal in the final if it's gear lube....

I guess my first step is to determine what the oil is. I washed the bike yesterday and will be checking back after my ride.

However, I "think" it's gear oil. It has that funny gear oil smell. If that's the case where is the final drive seal ? Is it an "O" ring on the shaft ? or in the housing (like a rear axle seal on a car)

Also tips I need to know of ?

Edited by Jimbob66

Thanks for the link. I see both types of seals. I also see shims. :confused07:

I am assuming I need these seals

7 93210-60426-00 . O-RING . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

9 93101-38098-00 . OIL SEAL . . . . . .

Can anyone tell me if the shims on the pinion gear(name?) assembly are reusable? :confused24:

or are they the crush type (think 8.8 inch Fords or Chevy 10 bolt rear end)

Also that nut on the end of the pinion looks to be a bear to get off and torque down. Any tips?

Edit I see I need a special tool to remove this part.

Edited by Jimbob66

Make sure it's not overfilled. I have never had mine off or apart but A stopped up vent will cause the gear box to build up unwanted pressure and that pressure has got to go somewhere.

thats a good point. I will check the vent etc.

I only wish it could be that simple! :fingers-crossed-emo

Anyone else ever replaced those seals ? Heck it may be easier to spend the 300 bucks and put in the VMAX rear.

I do not believe there was ever a recall on this problem, but there may be a tech bulletin on it (I cannot remember). But I do know that it happened to more than just a few 2007 RSVs (including the one I had). Took my shop THREE attempts to finally get the oil leak stopped. It is definitely a seal problem on the pinion.

Goose

I do not believe there was ever a recall on this problem, but there may be a tech bulletin on it (I cannot remember). But I do know that it happened to more than just a few 2007 RSVs (including the one I had). Took my shop THREE attempts to finally get the oil leak stopped. It is definitely a seal problem on the pinion.

Goose

Well I rode about 30 miles last night and had a nice gooey drop land on the wheel. It is gear oil.

After much reading I see that servicing that pinion gear looks to be a specialized job. :detective:Special tools and I assume some type of jig to hold the assembly in place while torquing 110 ftlbs on the pinion nut.

Shop is $75 an hour around here. 3 hours labor $225 parts .. maybe $60

so Im up to $285 .. the VMAX rear gear exchange is $300 I think.

Does the VMAX rear come ready to bolt in ?

hmmmmmmm

I would have to try to do it. Just me, if you bomb out and cant get it put back together and torqued your out the part money. Then pack up your leaky piece and get the v-max. :080402gudl_prv:

You have a point. I would have to purchase the specialized pinion retainer tool to do it. It looks to be some sort of spanner type wrench. The part is recessed and there is no way to turn it other than that wrench.

The price of that wrench will determine if I try it or not. I can say I have REALLY messed up some gear sets in my hot rodding days. I got a few right and more than one set wrong. Gear lash is a fickle beast.

there are a lot of members at the International right now. A couple have gotten into the rear gears, not many. I'd give this another week, then push the thread back to the top. It may not require a complete strip down. There are more than a couple members who have removed the rear gear assembly to have the vmax gears installed.

there are a lot of members at the International right now. A couple have gotten into the rear gears, not many. I'd give this another week, then push the thread back to the top. It may not require a complete strip down. There are more than a couple members who have removed the rear gear assembly to have the vmax gears installed.

Noted and thanks for the tip. Will give it a week or so. Its MUCH better to talk to someone who has done it. Tackling a project like this blindly is not the best thing to do.

I have learned the hard way. :backinmyday:

If you don't want to wait a week give a call to John Fubar he can tell you exactly what is involved.

http://rmsportmax.com/gateway.html Tell him your with Venturerider

Thanks I was looking at his webpage before and couldn't find it again. That's where I got the $300 for the VMAX unit. I guess if anyone would know it would be him !

Edited by Jimbob66

If you don't want to wait a week give a call to John Fubar he can tell you exactly what is involved.

http://rmsportmax.com/gateway.html Tell him your with Venturerider

I called John about this and am very impressed with his knowledge. He is a great guy and was very willing to help.

He said the seal that is leaking is on the drive shaft and is held on with a C clip. It's easy to replace during a shaft service. :cool10:

No gear lash no special tools :cool10: :cool10:

Its good day