IGNORED

wobble only in a curve????????

Big Lou

WHY?

Rode a passenger last two days, ,,,experienced. Rider.. says it wobbles in the a curve at any speed

We did clean pavement to raggedy roads that scraped the borrom

Another thing is it seemed like i fought a lean to the left so much,,,i asked if he was sitting on one side

Was easier then i thought to ride a passenger

Picked me a good crash test dummy,,,,now i can ride somebody i care about:rotf:

Oh, ,,new tires, ,,swing arm was just off,inspected greased,,,new brakes,,

Edited by Big Lou

Run your finger around the front tire edge, just a little off center. If you feel some dips, very slight, you have cupping on the front tire.

This will be a little difficult to feel till once you get the hang of it, take a gentle rapid sweep around the circumfrence of the tire.

Gary

The alignment could be off. If its way off at speed in a turn it will make one turn easier than the other. Too many ways to align to explain plenty info on a goolge. Happened to me once. On a trip, many stops and adjustments to get it right on the way to the Tail. It was scary in a right curve and zipped right around a left no problem. And that would also cup the front tire, as its fighting to plant.

It could be one thing AND a combination so try one thing at a time. Starting with cheapest and easiest first of course.

OR, Just go by a Road Glide! :no-no-no:

Which side of tire had the cupping. This could help start a place to look. If its on the right I would have to guess if an alignment issue it has to have pressure on the left to make straight. Shocks pressure could make it do also if pressures are not even. One would work differently than the other. What pressures are you running in the tires? What kind of tires also.

Both sides cupped in opposite spots

like a cup here turn tire then a cup there so cups were like bumps

all the way around it was an e3 dunlop

if i hadnt cut that tire i would not have changed it

cups arent real deep just , so you can see them in light , you can feel them

Both sides cupped in opposite spots

like a cup here turn tire then a cup there so cups were like bumps

all the way around it was an e3 dunlop

if i hadnt cut that tire i would not have changed it

cups arent real deep just , so you can see them in light , you can feel them

The only way you can get tire cupping is to run the tires underinflated...

so I understand now the cupping

why does it wobble in a curve , he called it a wobble

it did seem squiggley some . only thing i could tell was with his weight the headlight changed adjustment and pointed up some ,

will check air pressure today , im fixing to wax it for florida this weekend .. going swimming

only had Van Halen tape , he said he is Van Halened out:rotf:

WHY?

Rode a passenger last two days, ,,,experienced. Rider.. says it wobbles in the a curve at any speed

Another thing is it seemed like i fought a lean to the left so much,,,i asked if he was sitting on one side

QUOTE]

Was he holding a gas can? You do know that if you are riding another GUY on the back that he is supposed to be holding a gas can, don't you?:confused24:

RandyA

Guest tx2sturgis

Was he holding a gas can? You do know that if you are riding another GUY on the back that he is supposed to be holding a gas can, don't you?:confused24:

RandyA

:rotf:

Sounds like underpressure. It get the scallops in the tread and then in corners they will rise and fall with the scallops and it makes it feel like a wobble. Make sense? My rear was starting to show that pattern. I think PO didnt maybe keep press up. I belive 39 front 40 rear is where they should be. Check a few threads I'm sure its listed. I'm running a Michelein Commander 2 and thats where I'm at.

I think PO didnt maybe keep press up. I belive 39 front 40 rear is where they should be. Check a few threads I'm sure its listed. I'm running a Michelein Commander 2 and thats where I'm at.

Always keep the psi at the max cold posted on the tire just to be sure.

No Jack,

Cupping tires is always a sign of a poor suspension with little or no compression or rebound dampening in the forks and/or rear shock. When fork oil get forced through a small orfice long enough, your suspension basically says "this aint oil" and quits working like it should. Kinda like your truck when the shocks get worn out and goes bouncing down the road.

Rick

The only way you can get tire cupping is to run the tires underinflated...

No Jack,

Cupping tires is always a sign of a poor suspension with little or no compression or rebound dampening in the forks and/or rear shock. When fork oil get forced through a small orfice long enough, your suspension basically says "this aint oil" and quits working like it should. Kinda like your truck when the shocks get worn out and goes bouncing down the road.

Rick

We're going to have to disagree on this issue Rick. Cupping is caused by sidewall flex due to low tire pressure. Suspension can cause a lot of handling problems, but tire cupping isn't one of them.

We're going to have to disagree on this issue Rick. Cupping is caused by sidewall flex due to low tire pressure. Suspension can cause a lot of handling problems, but tire cupping isn't one of them.

The back Metz on my bike was just changed because it was cupped badly. the bike wandered in left corners and had a vibration and made noise. I had the suspension checked when the new tire went in and all the bearings and joints are fine. As soon as I put the new Michelin C2 tire on it I can now pick any line thru a corner and it is solid.

When I bought my bike up it had 25 lbs of air in the back tire and about 30 in the front. The previous owner liked a softer ride, I guess, but it did cup the tire badly. IMHO

Brian

Edited by friesman

The back Metz on my bike was just changed because it was cupped badly. the bike wandered in left corners and had a vibration and made noise. I had the suspension checked when the new tire went in and all the bearings and joints are fine. As soon as I put the new Michelin C2 tire on it I can now pick any line thru a corner and it is solid.

When I picked my bike up it had 25 lbs of air in the back tire and about 30 in the front. The previous owner liked a softer ride, I guess, but it did cup the tire badly. IMHO

Brian

Here's a great tire wear article written in great detail. Scroll down to the cupping section and do some reading. Actually the whole thing is really worth looking at to understand tire wear and what causes it.

http://www.rattlebars.com/tirewear/index.html

on big trucks I have seen, where ,cheap chinese tires will cup and when i change the shocks they did do better ,,wore evenly,, that particular truck was a nickel an dime thing ,,

will change fork oil soon . dont want to take it apart twice

I will do steering head bearings at same time ..

kill 2 birds with one stone