IGNORED

"Nutcracker Suite"

I read a post on our site where one member referred to constantly "riding the horn" of his saddle and eventually getting the $60 fix from another member who refurbishes your seat "while you wait" at any given MD.

In the meantime......just in case I can't make it to a maintenance day anytime soon....is there a DIY solution (or even PARTIAL solution) that will keep the family jewels from being constantly crushed?? (P.S. Please don't say "wear tighter jeans.....or looser shorts.......tried 'em all!! LOL!!)

Don't ask me why it took me this long to ask the question.....just bashful, I guess!!

• 3 weeks later...
You can also try a sheep skin.. more comfortable for heat and cold, and with trial and error positioning you can get to the market without crushing the eggs..

Been riding with a sheepskin most of the time....but, in truth, it usually feels better (although sweatier) with it off.

Maybe I need to just have some material removed........on ME........or.......Bertha!

Try these cushions from CTC. I've also seeen them at Walmart. I have been using them for two years and they help alot. They go on sale for $9.99. We took the gel portion out of one of these and "doubled it up" with another of the same. Works great. JR

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4/Auto/AutoAccessories/SeatCushions/PRD~0321419P/Gel%2BSeat%2BCushion.jsp

Try these cushions from CTC. I've also seeen them at Walmart. I have been using them for two years and they help alot. They go on sale for $9.99. We took the gel portion out of one of these and "doubled it up" with another of the same. Works great. JR

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4/Auto/AutoAccessories/SeatCushions/PRD~0321419P/Gel%2BSeat%2BCushion.jsp

Thanks for the tip, Jim.

At THAT price, I'd be crazy not to give them a try. At worst, if it doesn't work on the bike.....I can always put it on one of my deck chairs or kitchen stools!

I'll try to get my hands on one or two of these puppies asap and report back here.

Thanks again,

Mike

Been riding with a sheepskin most of the time....but, in truth, it usually feels better (although sweatier) with it off.

Maybe I need to just have some material removed........on ME........or.......Bertha!

I have a fairly light sheepskin and two of these gell pads. For me, what works best (with my standard 1st gen seat) is to trim the sides of the front (driver) pad and put the sheepskin over both pads (rider and passenger). We did this on our 8000 mile Venture West trip and it worked best for us.

I did my own and not that hard.

1) pull your seat off, use a silver sharpie to mark some locations where the cover meets the bottom of the pan. Pull the staples and pull back, if you have a pillow top you have some plastic washers and strings with metal tabs. push down on the top , turn the tabs and slide back through. Save the washers for reassembly.

2) take the gel pad and put it where you sit. You want to cut a wedge out of the back about 3" wide by 3" deep. and discard. Mark it with a sharpie .

3) take a razor knife adjusted to the depth of the gel pad and cut down on the seat foam on the line you made. Now make some cuts the same depth about an inch inside that cut. Pulling the foam to the side undercut the foam. repeat until your gel pad sits inside, there will be a void where your back wedge was cut out.

4) take an aggressive file and narrow the front right and left sides of the saddle where your legs go down and reshape those.

5) with the gel pad in place , cut a wedge of the memory foam to fill the wedge, ok if it's thinner than gel. Cover the top with the memory foam. Make slits where strings go through pillow top and gel.

6) pull the string back through the top, a tire plug tool can help here if you push it from the pan to top make sure you have the washer in it. Turn the metal tab across the washer and go to next.

7) match up your marks for the cover and re-staple the cover to the pan with 1/2" stainless steel staples

Items needed, silver sharpie

1/2 stainless steel staples

gel pad

1/2" or 1" thick memory foam ( at walmart, kmart... you can find a seat with gel pad and memory foam for a chair usually about $20.00) you can pull that apart.

I did my own and not that hard.

1) ...Pull the staples and pull back...

2) cut a wedge out of the back about 3" wide by 3" deep. and discard.

3) take a razor knife adjusted to the depth of the gel pad and cut down on the seat foam .....there will be a void where your back wedge was cut out.

4) take an aggressive file .... and reshape those.

5) cut a wedge of the memory foam to fill the wedge, ....Make slits ...

Thanks for the 'encouragement', Kevin.......but I don't think I'm alone when I say I get a little squeamish when I read instructions about "cutting, slicing and dicing" the upholstery on my bike (or the leather sofa in my family room!!)

Call me chicken....I'd just feel a whole lot more comfortable if.....

a) I had a FREE stock replacement cushion on hand in case I screw mine up

b) there was a video I could watch that would put your words into pictures for me and I could have a little better idea what the heck I'm doing!

I may get brave.....or maybe I'll just wait till another MD! :confused07: (Do you suppose having a couple of beers first would HELP or HINDER the process?!?!)

My thoughts as well, change the design of you shorts, some work, some don't so well,,, sometimes even the pair of jeans you wear,,, I have 3 pair of jeans, all bought the same day, same brand, same size and one pair ain't so very comfortable, the other two are just fine. Go figure.