IGNORED

Red Turn Signal Lenses

Hotrod

Does any one know where I can purchase red turn signal lenses for the rear of an RSV? I want to purchase a run-stop-turn module and will be needing red lenses.I know I can get red LED's ,but don't want to use a load equalizer and I like the self canceling turn signals.I have seen them

on other member's bikes on this forum,but can't seem to find them anywhere.I also thought about using the Harley accessory tail light,but don't know if they could be wired to also function as turn signals.Any help would be greatly appreciated,such as where to buy,part #s,etc.

Guest tx2sturgis

The lenses dont cost as much, but of course they dont give you brake/running lights either...I made up for that with auxiliary lighting on the back.

Does any one know where I can purchase red turn signal lenses for the rear of an RSV? I want to purchase a run-stop-turn module and will be needing red lenses.I know I can get red LED's ,but don't want to use a load equalizer and I like the self canceling turn signals.I have seen them

on other member's bikes on this forum,but can't seem to find them anywhere.I also thought about using the Harley accessory tail light,but don't know if they could be wired to also function as turn signals.Any help would be greatly appreciated,such as where to buy,part #s,etc.

Just a little HEADS UP, a friend of mine had the red turn signal lenses on his HD. While we were in FL. for bike week that year he got a ticket. Cop said they were illegal in FL. and that only cop bikes of other emergency vehicles were allowed to use them. I would check before you put them on.

Guest tx2sturgis
Just a little HEADS UP, a friend of mine had the red turn signal lenses on his HD. While we were in FL. for bike week that year he got a ticket. Cop said they were illegal in FL. and that only cop bikes of other emergency vehicles were allowed to use them. I would check before you put them on.

I would have taken that to court, except it may have simply been easier for your freind to pay the fine.

In all states in the USA..as far as I know, red turn signals are legal. Many European countries require amber turn signals on motorcycles, and since those are also legal in the USA, many manufacturers fit the bike with those.

Also, again, as far as I know, states, cities, and counties cannot override the DOT federal standards for motor vehicles. This comes up often with headlight modulators...which are legal in every state and also in Canada.

YMMV.

Here is a paragraph taken from Wikipedia:

"Until the early 1960s, most front turn signals worldwide emitted white light and most rear turn signals emitted red. Amber front turn signals were voluntarily adopted by the auto industry in the USA for most vehicles beginning in the 1963 model year, though front turn signals were still permitted to emit white light until FMVSS 108 took effect for the 1968 model year, whereupon amber became the only permissible colour for front turn signals. Presently, almost all countries outside North America require that all front, side and rear turn signals produce amber light. In North America the rear signals may be amber or red. International proponents of amber rear signals say they are more easily discernible as turn signals, and US studies in the early 1990s demonstrated improvements in the speed and accuracy of following drivers' reaction to brake lamps when the turn signals were amber rather than red. US regulators and other proponents of red rear turn signals claim there is no proven lifesaving benefit to amber signals."

Thats not the final word, of course, since I have no idea what Florida cops can get away with.

I've never had a problem (being stopped) with red lenses, or red with blue dots in them....cops seem to know that we are trying to be seen...thats just part of staying alive on the road.

Wouldn't this do the same thing and you not have to swap out the lenses to do it?

Clicky, clicky...

Any of you Ventureriders got these? Are you happy with them? Most reviews were good, and they look like a good idea for increasing visibility without adding extra lights in new locations, requiring more wiring. Interested in your experiences. Larry

Tx2Sturges is correct. It's a good idea to print this law out and carry it with you then you have something to show the cop he's wrong. And every one know cops are open to correction. Your friend just ran into one of THOSE cops. Then again maybe he was doing something that made the cop look for something.

Here is the part of CFR 49 Section 108 pertaining to rear signal lights on a motorcycle. It's towards the bottom Table IV

Turn signal lamps..................

At or near the front--1 amber on each side of the vertical centerline at the same height, and having a minimum horizontal seperation distance. At or near the rear--1 red or amber on each side of the vertical centerline.

Any of you Ventureriders got these? Are you happy with them? Most reviews were good, and they look like a good idea for increasing visibility without adding extra lights in new locations, requiring more wiring. Interested in your experiences. Larry

I have install these lights on my bike and I am very happy with them, becaue they are runnning and stop , and turn lights, they work great, had them on about a year and had no problem with them, Jack

I would question a ticket like this very hard. What about the thousands of semis that go up and down the road with red turn signals??? And automobiles that have only red turn signals in the rear. This sounds like the "drive to stop illeagal bikers" that Tn was doing on The Tail of the Dragon.:stirthepot:

In order to defend ourselves while on the road we need to learn what the state laws are when we travel to other states. I know this is a pain in the butt, but it might save some time and money down the road.