IGNORED

Advice from the Great White North??

Wade 2000

After all the IR fun is over I was going to take the Northern route around Lake Superior then down through the UP MI back to Ohio. I have never been in this area so any advice on points of interests, good campgrounds, places to avoid, if the northern lights are visible this time of year?

I am also wondering how populated is the area? Will we have trouble finding places to eat or gas? Thank you in advance!

The north side of lake Superior is great riding. Lots of up an down and great views! you should have a blast.

If you go to the south side, do Copper Harbor and if I remember, just before Marquette there is a campground called "gitchgumie"?. Real cool place

Edited by tomephil
spelling

The ride along the north shore in Minnesota is nice. You are along the lake in a lot of places with many scenic overlooks. Gas, food and lodging isnt a problem with lots of places along the way. You can do the 4 lane from Duluth to Two Harbors and then it will be 2 lane road rest of the way, or you can take old Hwy 61 and it goes along the lake and is two lane all the way to Two Harbors. Depending on traffic and stops, it can take 4 hours to get from Duluth, Mn to the border. About another hour to Thunder Bay, Ont if I recall correctly. I would recommend staying in the Thunder Bay area and heading east from there. From there you will see the lake off and on if I recall correctly and it will be 2 lane road around to Sault Marie, Ont where you can cross back over to the US and head south to the Mac.

It will be a nice ride that is for sure.

The Northern Lights will be hit or miss, just depends on the solar flairs and such. But it will be dark enough up there.

I am not sure on places to came or stay as it was years ago since I have been that way.

Hope that helps.

Rick F.

Taquamenon falls in the UP is nice. as far as lower mich, ride M119 and M22 in the north. runs along lake Mich. Tunnel of Trees. You can take 66 south all the way to Indiana border, then cut over to Ohio.

If you stay in Mackinaw City, Rainbow Motel is a nice, clean and family owned. Lots of riders stay there, and you park right in front of your room. From Mack City follow C66 to Cross Village and stop at Legg's Inn, a must see, follow M 119 ( Tunnel of Tree's) to Harbor Springs, nice place to stop and shop.

Depending on how much time you have, you could follow 119 down to M31 and take to Traverse City and then follow M22 to Northport and on down to Manistee and Ludington. Lots of places to stop and shop on M22. If I remember right, gas and places to stay on 22 are scarce untill you get back down to 31 around Manistee and Ludington.

I remember reading about a campground very close to the Mackinaw Bridge in Mackinaw City.

Here is my thread about the Lake Superior Circle Tour. At the end of the thread I posted a post trip report including a map of the route we took.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=55675

One thing: there is no fuel between Sault Ste. Marie and Wawa.

Great thread:thumbsup2: Thanks for all the replies and tips!!:sign killer dude: I really need this break. I just hope the weather holds out, if not though, its still better than work.

When you will be leaving the IR will determine where you stop. If you drive up 39/51 to Tomahawk that will be close to 300 miles. I would not recommend driving past 7 p.m. as there has been many deer vs car and bear vs car accidents. Tomahawk will be the gateway to the Northwoods and all the farm fields will end and dense forest will start. If you happen to stop in Tomahawk that is where we live and a nice place to camp for the night can be at the Tomahawk Speedway, Sara Park or Duck Point Resort. If you will be at the IR we will see you there.

Steve & Dawn Taskay

Tomahawk, WI

When you will be leaving the IR will determine where you stop. If you drive up 39/51 to Tomahawk that will be close to 300 miles. I would not recommend driving past 7 p.m. as there has been many deer vs car and bear vs car accidents. Tomahawk will be the gateway to the Northwoods and all the farm fields will end and dense forest will start. If you happen to stop in Tomahawk that is where we live and a nice place to camp for the night can be at the Tomahawk Speedway, Sara Park or Duck Point Resort. If you will be at the IR we will see you there.

Steve & Dawn Taskay

Tomahawk, WI

I will be there. Looking forward to meeting you