IGNORED

Need Help addressing gen 1 riding comfort issues

As I posted on another thread, I just got back from a trip to Dragon's Tail. It was a 2 up 11 hour each way ride. We did stop every 130 miles to fuel up & butt rest. It was hard on the body. Here are some of the issues:

1. My bicepts are KILLING me.

2. My left knee is also aching.

3. My Butt is sore

4. My wife's back, inner thighs, & hips are killing her too!

Now I have the OEM seat but I installed

1. Memory foam cushions on the bike,

2. A backrest

3. Passenger foot platforms

4. Highway platforms on the front crashbars

I found that my knee pain seems to be from the position of the shifter. The shifter & brake ar in the most forward position. I feel if she had forward control it might be better.

Would driver platforms & heel toe shifter help?

My wife's issue seem to be cause by the height of the rear peg/platforms. They are too high, the issue is if I lower them the center stand hits it when up.

So, after reading this, knowing that many on here take long road trips, is there anything that can be done to improve the riding comfort level of my Gen 1?

Additionally as an alternative I am looking at 1995 & newer Goldwing or Harley Ultra Glides. Are these bike better on the body for long distance riding?

Any & I mean ANY suggestions, help or recommendations would be appreciated - I don't want the wife to loose interest in riding.

I'm sure some of the newer bikes might be a little more comfortable, but with 11 hours and stops every 130 miles you are going to be sore no matter what you ride.

I usually stop every 50 to 100 miles and stretch a little. We won't get any iron butt awards but it keeps it enjoyable.

Get your OEM set customized by Butler. He shaves some discomfort area away and then lines it with memory foam. When you get the seat back, it will look like OEM. After I got my seat back from Butler I did and 18 hour ride then 3 days later did a 10 hour ride and my seat did not hurt. But all my joints got really stiff after about 10 hours.

My wife complains about the drivers back rest with her inner thighs, & hips. Thats a trade off. Your back or her thighs.

Also try bead seats. As you move around, the bead nodugals act like a messaging effect.

I perfer driver floorboards with heal & toe shifting.

Get the adjustible hwypegs. I can't rememeber the brand it starts with a "K". I'm sure those members will recall the brand name.

Andy,

Have you spent much time on long distance rides prior to this latest trip? I mean this season? The first long ride of the year can be very tiring, you are not conditioned for the strain after a long winter of not riding.

I am not an Iron Butt-er and don't know how those guys can do what some are doing as we speak...12,000 to maybe 14,000 miles in eleven days. That is EXTREME LD riding, granted, but those guys don't hop on their bikes for the first time in six months and do it either. They are acclimated, conditioned and a bit crazy, too.

Eleven hour days are brutal for any one that hasn't been riding that way for several weeks. We (Debbie and I) might spend two weeks on the bike while on a major flower sniffing tour, but I try to limit our daily mileage to 250-300 miles and saddle time to 6 hours or so, with more than just gas stops. Stop for a relaxed lunch, stop for some shopping or sight seeing or just to walk around for a bit.

Stay hydrated, even if you don't feel thirsty, drink some water. Wear ear plugs. It helps a lot with the inexplicable fatigue. Wear your leathers or other protective gear all the time, even if it seems too hot. The wind beating on your bare arms and the sun too, wear on your physical stamina. Wear a helmet, even if you don't like to, because it offers comfort from the incessant wind and sun and noise.

Bottom line: you have to get used to the long saddle time.

No idea your riding level, but for a lot of comfort tips. go to the Iron Butt web site and click on tech section and poke around;

http://www.ironbutt.com/about/default.cfm?CFID=24978760&CFTOKEN=66295255

A key to seating is the breathability of the fabric, since it is a motorcycle its got waterproof material, try something like the sheepskin or beads to get air circulating between your Butt and the seat. thats the best improvement you can make. If you want the quickest and easiest fix the AirHawk seat works wonders, its Iron Butt Certified.

Your biceps, you might need new risers or bars to get the handle grips closer to you. Also try Throttle rockers on BOTH sides of the Bars, Yes they do make a left. The idea is to ride not gripping the bars like you want to choke out your bike, relax, Use the cruise, have the grips in your hands, don't death grip the Bars. At speed the centrifugal force of the wheel spinning will keep the bike headed the right way until you apply force to the bars.

With that in mind, on those roads and in that weather and visibility you would be naturally doing all the things I have told you not to. So gave it another chance.

I am a very experience long distance rider, yet each year I have to snap in to be able to ride 1000 miles non stop, Take long rides around the area, then overnighters and then weekend trips, get your body used to riding. Then embark on a long week long trip. And she has to do the same.

And as you will note on the iron butt site, what you eat and drink have a great impact on your ride even in the days leading up to your departure.

While in the seat, you should both practice muscle tensioning to keep the blood moving through your body, and if you can take an asprin before each ride.

Drink loads of water, have it available on the bike, not soda, not juice not gatorade, Water, add lemon and Pink if you need to.

If you dont have a backrest, get one.

Loads of info on Iron butt website. Read it and be amazed at what you may have done wrong.

I have some secret roads and great places to stay in that area, if you go again hit me up for the info. I go there at least 3 times a year for 7 to 10 days each. You only saw a glimpse of it. Put the Devils Triangle on the list for next trip there. They have a web site too.

Hope you get the Air Hawk, You wife will love it.

I'm over 6'2" with long arms and legs. I had a lot of discomfort at first until I got some things adjusted right for me.

The arms, oh yeah. I ended up turning the bars to as low as I could then found a sweet spot in the grip angles. No more arm cramps.

I thought the floor boards would fix my leg problems. I had a chance to spend a day on a locals bike with floor boards and heel / toe shifter. I felt the floor boards made the problem worse. The board kept my foot more parallel to the ground with did not help. With the pegs I had the front of my foot tipped downwards, but I was always trying to keep from hitting the shifter.

I adjusted the shifter so my toes ran under it but did not hit it. Worked out much better. Got to work the foot a bit on the downshifts but easy sitting.

The seat and back pain, or mostly butt pain..... That was before I heard about our Butt Butler. I found a lambskin seat cover that was 3/4 shorn, the thick curly ones. That alone removed all the pressure points I was feeling on the seat.

Then adding the back rest.......That was the final touch.

Can't say any of that will help you but it gets me by on the long rides much better.

Lots of good ideas here!

We ride a lot but not long distance. This was actually the wife's 1st.

I know the Gen1 has adj handlebars so that is definitely going to have to be done.

My memory foam pads (which are just fabric covered) didn't help enough with butt pain. Actually it's more like butt rash

I used the cruise control a lot & I do lave a thottle paddle under my palm so I don't need to grip the bars tightly. I was actually alternating hands. I think it is that I have to reach up & I'm probably cutting off blood circulation. (it feels like I was holding, arms extended, 5lbs weight in each arm for hours)

The knee I alternated between the peg & the highway bar but it was so bad that lifting the bike off the side stand was difficult at the last gas stop.

Gotta check out the Iron Butt site!

Keep in mind that the designers built the seat with the average American rider in mind. 180lbs. If you weigh more, then you crush the foam down to the seat pan. Time also causes breakdown of the foam making it less springy. I recommend having the seat redone with high density closed cell foam, then a mid layer of open cell foam, topped with a layer of memory foam, all designed for your weight, not the average guy.

Bottom line.....get a new custom seat. Your butt will thank you.

-Pete, in Tacoma WA USA

I'm over 6'2" with long arms and legs. I had a lot of discomfort at first until I got some things adjusted right for me.

The arms, oh yeah. I ended up turning the bars to as low as I could then found a sweet spot in the grip angles. No more arm cramps.

I'm 6'3" but I don't have long arms. I have "average" arms, average being the spread of your arms is equal to your height. Some shorter people have longer arms and visa-versa for some taller folks. I too found turning the top bars down as far as they would go without hitting the tank cover in a tight turn was very beneficial. I did not suffer so much from arm fatigue but more wrist cramp from the unnatural bend angle at the wrists when holding the hand grips. I discovered this adjustment initially on my Virago which if anything had worse wrist angles when the bars were in the OEM position. In order to get a perfect alignment between the bars and my wrists with enough clearance to do a tight turn it was necessary to install taller risers. It is my intention to add some risers to the Venture so I can file off the little stopper knob on the Venture bars and drop them a little more.

I adjusted the shifter so my toes ran under it but did not hit it. Worked out much better. Got to work the foot a bit on the downshifts but easy sitting.

I did that too and it also helped. In order to shift cleanly it is necessary for me to move my heel forward onto the peg which raises my foot up snug against the toe shift lever. Not so great for fast shifting but works very well when riding for long distances. When my Venture stops falling apart I hope to have the time to come up with a way to move the shift lever and pegs farther forward.

Kuriakyn Longhorn pegs. Retail for about 160 for the entire setup. They allow me to stretch my legs most of the way out and I am almost 5'10ⁿ. I found my set on amazon for about 100.

Get your OEM set customized by Butler. He shaves some discomfort area away and then lines it with memory foam. When you get the seat back, it will look like OEM. After I got my seat back from Butler I did and 18 hour ride then 3 days later did a 10 hour ride and my seat did not hurt. But all my joints got really stiff after about 10 hours.

My wife complains about the drivers back rest with her inner thighs, & hips. Thats a trade off. Your back or her thighs.

Also try bead seats. As you move around, the bead nodugals act like a messaging effect.

I perfer driver floorboards with heal & toe shifting.

Get the adjustible hwypegs. I can't rememeber the brand it starts with a "K". I'm sure those members will recall the brand name.

Last year I did a 6000 mile trip and really bad tailbone pain. I sent my seat to Rick Butler for his custom work. He takes your height and weight as well as your passengers into consideration whens he does his work. It was worth every penny for me. He used 3 different types of foam and removed the tailbone section of the seat (which was my complaint). I just returned from a 3000 mile trip and had no problems with my backside.

As far as your arms, I had the same issue a few years ago. I adjusted my handle bars down and in. Now, I can ride comfortably for up to 600 miles a day. To keep my legs fresh, ill move them from my stock pegs to my hiway pegs, then lay my heels on the hiway pegs to straighten out my legs. To stretch my lower back, I put my feet up on my crash bars. The handle bar adjustment and seat work has made my long rides much easier.

In a somewhat lighter vein, glad to share with you what my good riding buddy from England (he rides a Guzi) said to my wife when her bum was getting sore on our recent venture East ride:

"Cure for the dreaded Num Bum disease. Hot bath and baby oil (external) in that order, followed

by a chilled white wine (taken internally) repeat often until feeling returns."

Hey Andy, I wish we could have gotten together. I would have liked for you to have ridden my 83. I have a Corbin seat that I modified and it is like sitting in a bit of a bowl. It is also a lot wider for the passenger. It made a world of difference in my long distance rides. I also have the Kuriakyn pegs that are adjusted just perfect for me.

Another thing that will have a big effect on long trips is riding conditions and riding with a few feet visibility is a miserable way of getting anywhere. If you had been with Linda and me on the ride we took yesterday, you would not have wanted to go home.

Keep in touch and maybe we can get together.

Glad you made it home OK.

RandyA

Try a real sheepskin! Also for your wife instead of lowering her floorboards raise her seating position. I would also recommend moving your trunk back a few inches to give her some more room. This is accomplished by making up some metal bars with new mounting holes in them. Lastly if you don't have them install arm rests for your wife. I also came up with some forward foot pegs for my wife so she could change her position.

Other than that you will find the 2nd gen Ventures are a very comfortable and reliable ride if you decide to update...

...Linda and me on the ride we took yesterday, you would not have wanted to go home.

Keep in touch and maybe we can get together.

Glad you made it home OK.

RandyA

When we left Murphy yesterday it was gorgeous there (same weather you got) the "soup" didn't begin again until Asheville & lasted for about 2 hours heading east. Once we hit Durham it was a great ride!

Definitely want to get together with you guys. Helen wants to ride up to tri cities (once feeling returns to her butt lol)

I just noticed my foot controls are in the midpoint setting. I should be able to alleviate the knee issue by sliding them forward. I just have to spray the turnbuckles with acetone & tranny fluid to get the 30 years of rust off them.

The handlebars still have plenty of room for adjustment, and then the big issues would be the seat & lowering the rear foot pegs/platform to ease the bend of her leg without them interfering with the centerstand in the up position.

Andy

Try a real sheepskin! Also for your wife instead of lowering her floorboards raise her seating position. I would also recommend moving your trunk back a few inches to give her some more room. This is accomplished by making up some metal bars with new mounting holes in them. Lastly if you don't have them install arm rests for your wife. I also came up with some forward foot pegs for my wife so she could change her position.

Other than that you will find the 2nd gen Ventures are a very comfortable and reliable ride if you decide to update...

Bob, I have been looking for MK1 arm rests for awhile. I'm thinking of getting Goldwing rests & modifying them. The pegs is more of a knee bend issue. (too much legs, I should sit her on a few phone books )

The moving the trunk back is a great idea!

Bob, I have been looking for MK1 arm rests for awhile. I'm thinking of getting Goldwing rests & modifying them. The pegs is more of a knee bend issue. (too much legs, I should sit her on a few phone books )

The moving the trunk back is a great idea!

I made a set of arm rests for mine and I don't think Linda could ride very far without them. She can take a nap as we ride.

RandyA

Guest Swifty
I did not suffer so much from arm fatigue but more wrist cramp from the unnatural bend angle at the wrists when holding the hand grips.

YEAH THAT. I took the black bar piece of the handle bar, heated them up, bent it until I got the angle right for me.

when I first got 89 the handle bars were lowered , I rode 4 hours home on it , I had to adjust the bars up for manuverability, I have a very bad driveway,,so I sacrificed pain in my shoulder for turning.. as I rode it more I did get used to it and I dont hurt no more after dark

butt pain: i went to the fabric store and bought some fake sheepskin, cut it in a wierd way to sit on the seat, took a bungee cord and went around the seat to the box mounts, I take it off when it rains,,it keeps the seat from getting hot when I am off the bike .and it really did relieve some butt pain..or rash as they say..

I am 6'1 270

my legs only hurt because of one position for a long time...

I did 8 tanks of gas this last 2 days and I slept good last night