IGNORED

Anyone have "little known secrets" about 2nd Gen

VentureFar

It does qualify. Anything qualifies.

I don't do "local" riding so all my gas stops are planned and stretched as far as possible. . If I run into headwinds or driving too fast and use too much gas I want to have positive control of the information, I see the reserve light come on and I start calculating if I will or won't make my planned stop. - if not- I don't worry as I carry 2 liters of gas with me for just such eventualities.

In my old Honda Spirit with no gas gauge, it simple started fuel starvation bucking and slowing. It was the only way I would now to switch to reserve. If I was getting close to reserve and IN traffic, i would switch to reserve before needing to so I wouldn't have a truck eat me up.

Also- note for this thread:

When I switch to reserve, I swing open the gas cap key cover.

When I stop for gas which could be 30 to 45 minutes later it reminds me to move the gas lever back to main.

VentureFar...

I'm not sure what the speedo is counting down when it goes to reserve mode? Is it 1/10th of a mile????

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Handicapped plates on a bike always scare me. . . .

Long ago we went to a bike nite at the local Sonic where we saw a little old couple with matching "Harley" t-shirts and matching plaid shorts walk across the parking lot, get on their matching sporters (with matching "handicapped" plates) and ride away.

Hope I never match my wife that much.

I'm not sure what the speedo is counting down when it goes to reserve mode? Is it 1/10th of a mile????

Hope I am understanding your question -

It is counting up the miles you have ridden since the reserve light came on.

In my case ( before I punch holes in the filler neck ) at reserve light I have burned 4.3 gallons. So I know I have 1.2 remaining and depending on speed and wind can run a little over 40 miles before I start pushing.

Without that count up, I would reset the trip odometer to zero immediately but my RSV saves me that extra step.

Not everyone watches their mileage and fuel like I do. I only ride long rides ( away from civilization) so I am always stretching my gas stops.

Without that count up, I would reset the trip odometer to zero immediately but my RSV saves me that extra step.

I know you are talking about the RSV and its digital odometer, but it is a good idea as a way to tell one how many miles before we have to start pushing.

However, any of you First Gen guys latch on to that idea of zeroing the trip meter when the light comes on, note that on the mechanical odometer/trip meter of the First Gen that it is problematic (ie. it harms the odometer gears) to reset the trip meter while in motion.

Just a FWIW.

I don't think "Brown Sugar" would stand for that.....

Was that below the belt Dan?? I apologize to Brown Sugar..... :bighug: But not to you, for all your guff on 2nd gens... Lets call a truce. Both gens of RSV will always give us years of riding bliss...

Was that below the belt Dan?? I apologize to Brown Sugar..... :bighug: But not to you, for all your guff on 2nd gens... Lets call a truce. Both gens of RSV will always give us years of riding bliss...

Not at all Barry. Beauty is in the eyes of the Beer Holder. "Brown Sugar" don't take no 2nd place to no wanna be...:whistling: If the truth were known I think the 2nd Gens are a great looking bike. Limited income the last 10 yrs with all my accidents makes the 1st Gens more appealing and I really think once you get into them Yamaha got it right the 1st time. I looked at 2nd Gens just because of the thought of a "newer" bike but the more I get into them the more I'm convinced I'm gonna stay on a 1st Gen. Faster, Better looking, Handle better, Tach, Clock, and I got a few parts!!

Just got my 08 So this thread just answered a lot of questions i have been wondering about, especially the Jacking thing. (Blocks) Do I really have a driving light switch?

Fun and informative read. should be sticky. Now where is that SM and OM online anyways.

• 2 weeks later...

Where are people putting the high amp power outlet on the left side of the bike?

I just couldn't believe folks were cutting holes in their side covers for a power outlet. So I would go look at mine over and over and not see a factory cutout. So just now I started to take off the side cover to see if it had a detent on the inside and that is when I noticed the hole in the "filler" BEHIND the left side cover. The filler plastic sheet runs down the back of the battery box and fills the gap between the rear fender and frame. There, low and behold is a pre cut hole with filler cap !

Now that is what I am talking about ! The little secrets of the RSV.

VentureFar...

I know you are talking about the RSV and its digital odometer, but it is a good idea as a way to tell one how many miles before we have to start pushing.

However, any of you First Gen guys latch on to that idea of zeroing the trip meter when the light comes on, note that on the mechanical odometer/trip meter of the First Gen that it is problematic (ie. it harms the odometer gears) to reset the trip meter while in motion.

Just a FWIW.

Yep, I didn't hear about this soon enough and took out my odo on the way back from Cody a couple of years ago. I would recommend youre stopped when resetting the trip meter on the G1 bikes,....on the G2 I can reset all day!!!

Brian

• 4 weeks later...

Reviving this ever useful thread.

Can someone please tell me in great detail or with some pics (prefered) where the second aux outlet is located near the passenger seat on the left?

Also, where is this cord for iPods or iPhones?

I have an 07 RSV and can't find, for the life of me, either one of these things on my bike.

Guest tx2sturgis

Can someone please tell me in great detail or with some pics (prefered) where the second aux outlet is located near the passenger seat on the left?

Aux? You mean auxiliary power or auxiliary as in audio?

Audio:

The headset plug is under the left side of the passenger seat, Just under the left speaker pod. It should be attached to a clip on the fender.

Power:

There is a plastic cover in a hole for YOU to install a power port, under the riders left butt cheek when seated on the bike. Its just above the passenger's left footboard. Its hard to see unless you have some light shining in there.

My 2007 Venture doesnt have a factory ipod cord, but does have an aux input on the tape deck for a 1/8 inch stereo mini-plug.

Thanks. I meant power not audio. I see the audio hookup. I don't use those anyway. I use bluetooth now to talk to passenger and listen to music. I'll have to look for this "hole". With that being said I am now more concerned with finding the connection to the CD/iPod hookup.

No CD changer has ever been installed so I don't know if that means my connection is more hidden or not.

Guest tx2sturgis

No CD changer has ever been installed so I don't know if that means my connection is more hidden or not.

The contol connector and the audio connector for the optional CD player are in the fairing, you have to remove the front clamshell half to gain access to it. ( I think this is correct but if not, someone will scream and yell at me!)

I understand there are some custom units on the market that interface with this connector pair, and you plug in a SD card full of music and the controls on the left bar will let you select songs to play.

I just use a satellite radio receiver on mine. I know may owners on here use the ipod/mp3 sources, but I'm a fan of XM so thats what I use.

Good luck.

The earlier RSVs did not have the cable running to the saddlebags. The connection was in the fairing and if you bought a CD Changer, it came with the long cable that you had to connect in the fairing and run back to the saddlebags. At some point, I understand that Yamaha started running the cable back to the area of the bags but I'm not sure what year they started doing that.

Gotcha obviously not on the 2007's. I just saw a video on here about installing an MP3 player in the trunk and connecting to the port in the fairing. I was hoping to have an iPod stored in the trunk.

I'll just stick with my bluetooth connection to my iPhone (plenty of music loaded on it). I have my iPhone mounted to my handlebar with a charger cord run to the port on the left side of the fairing. The nice thing about the iPhone is that it doubles as a GPS unit as well.

Or you can add a BuddyRich cable and use the plug for your Iphone or GPS. I have a Zumo 550 with my music on the SD card, plugged in so that I can bluetooth my phone off of it, and answer the phone. (getting off the road to talk of course). plus this allows my navigator to talk (complain) to me through the intercom system. thought about the Isimple box but still fairly expensive. I thought that this eliminated the CD changer hook up, but it still worked.

\

Couple people can't get their trunk lids to open to a full vertical position. Some lids won't go beyond a 60 degree angle (or so). I know some people have fixed this and hopefully they will post how.

I just removed the connecting bar assembly on mine. I was getting tired of doing a two step every time I wanted to close my trunk lid, so I removed the mechanism (left side looking in. also allows my trunk to open all the way, be carefull if you have a rack and it has weight on it. while you are tightening trunk lid hinge screws doo the ones on the saddle bags,

Al

The earlier RSVs did not have the cable running to the saddlebags. The connection was in the fairing and if you bought a CD Changer, it came with the long cable that you had to connect in the fairing and run back to the saddlebags. At some point, I understand that Yamaha started running the cable back to the area of

the bags but I'm not sure what year they started doing that.

The 09 RSV had the cable and a Clarion 6cd changer connected inside the left saddlebag. I replaced mine with a VentureMp3 SD card player a couple of years ago. No more skipping.

If your trunk lid won't lift up to a 90 degree angle, your lid support linkages are bent. All you have to do is gently lift the lid back up to full open position. The mechanism is made from too soft a metal and it gets bent because someone closing the lid either forgets or doesn't know that you are suppose to do a double lift to get the lid to close. The mechanism was made so that the lid would not fall and close on your fingers. So just gently push the lid back to full open and all will be well in the world.