IGNORED

Replacing the shift cam 83 Venture

Running into some problems removing the Countersunk screw from the shift cam. I've got a feeling I may have to use an easy out to get the screw out. I ended up stripping it. :(

Does anyone know if it's left or right threaded?? I attached a picture to show what's going on. I'm going to order a new screw, just need to get the old one out...

Also I can't seem to find the pin. I have a new one but don't want the old one resurfacing and causing problems down the road.

Running into some problems removing the Countersunk screw from the shift cam. I've got a feeling I may have to use an easy out to get the screw out. I ended up stripping it. :(

Does anyone know if it's left or right threaded?? I attached a picture to show what's going on. I'm going to order a new screw, just need to get the old one out...

Also I can't seem to find the pin. I have a new one but don't want the old one resurfacing and causing problems down the road.

Hit it with some heat, I think these are red loctited in. It doesn't have to be glowing though. Red loctite breaks down around 450F I think.

It is a normal right hand thread.

Gary

Looked at your picture closer. It almost looks like hole missing pin is egg shaped, and possibly one above and to the right. If they are, they won't stay in.

I have a couple of extra used plates if you want one, shipping only. Or you could pick it up, I am in Mansfield.

Gary

I just ran into a new problem... After putting everything back together the I started up and my shift lever was really stiff, hardly wanted to move at all. I pulled back on it as much as I could, went into 1st and nothing. All the gears engaged (except for 4th and 5th since I still have to replace the plate) but the bike doesn't move.... Did I miss something?? I made sure everything went back the way it was supposed to, or so I thought....:confused24::think:

Ugh

I just ran into a new problem... After putting everything back together the I started up and my shift lever was really stiff, hardly wanted to move at all. I pulled back on it as much as I could, went into 1st and nothing. All the gears engaged (except for 4th and 5th since I still have to replace the plate) but the bike doesn't move.... Did I miss something?? I made sure everything went back the way it was supposed to, or so I thought....:confused24::think:

Ugh

You likely have the splined washer installed wrong

See post where I got it wrong and Rocket corrected me

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=48414

If you drop your oil pan, you'll most likely see the pin in there. IIRC that's where mine was hiding, that ledge under the shifter cam drops off into the oil pan. Normal oil flow will wash it down, and it shouldn't get into anything (unless you flip your bike over, I suppose...)

-Andrew

I agree with Dingy, those holes do look oval, If they are, would it help to put some green Loctite bearing retainer on the pins?

Yeah and the one that's circled is broke on one side of the hole. I've got a new piece to replace that along with new pins to be on the safe side! Didn't think about putting loctite on the pins...

Any chance of getting a magnet in to the oil pan to fish it out?

Is the bottom of the oil pan shaped smooth enough that the pin could find its way to the sump and be fished out from there with a magnet?

I will definitely try that!

If you drop your oil pan, you'll most likely see the pin in there. IIRC that's where mine was hiding, that ledge under the shifter cam drops off into the oil pan. Normal oil flow will wash it down, and it shouldn't get into anything (unless you flip your bike over, I suppose...)

-Andrew

Let's hope that doesn't happen lol!

Yeah and the one that's circled is broke on one side of the hole. I've got a new piece to replace that along with new pins to be on the safe side! Didn't think about putting loctite on the pins...

Are you talking about the sheet metal retainer is cracked or the casting that the pins go into is cracked?

If it is the casting that is cracked, there is a new version available that does not use pins and will be a permanent fix for this problem.

Are you talking about the sheet metal retainer is cracked or the casting that the pins go into is cracked?

If it is the casting that is cracked, there is a new version available that does not use pins and will be a permanent fix for this problem.

It's the casting, I got a new one, I just need to get the screw out

Sorry I meant the sheet metal. For the life of me I cannot get that screw out... I broke an easy off inside it, I used heat, everything I've done has just made it worse... I don't know what else to do...

Edited by TattoosByJasonMoore

Lynn (Pegscrapper) wrote a post that's in our Tech Section about replacing the shift pin cluster with one from a 2ndGen. Read all about it..... HERE I wouldn't worry about fishing that pin out, but just let it attach itself to the magnet on the drain plug eventually.

PS: Here's a link to the 2gen part. http://www.boats.net/parts/detail/yamaha/Y-4NK-18185-00-00.html

$31 bucks... Not bad

Lynn (Pegscrapper) wrote a post that's in our Tech Section about replacing the shift pin cluster with one from a 2ndGen. Read all about it..... HERE I wouldn't worry about fishing that pin out, but just let it attach itself to the magnet on the drain plug eventually.

PS: Here's a link to the 2gen part. http://www.boats.net/parts/detail/yamaha/Y-4NK-18185-00-00.html

$31 bucks... Not bad

I'm going to do the 'upgrade' after the season is over when I redo the clutch. I'm just trying to get it back out on the road for now. I figure it'll be a winter project! Thanks for the links, I've got a lot of good information from everyone here! :)

So my kickstand just decided to completely break off... smh:depressed::crying:

Holy Cow! :eek:

We've had some side stands break the pivot bolt, but breaking the mount off the frame is a new one to me. There appears to be a fair amount of corrosion in that area on your bike and the weld looks rather dicey. Perhaps it was "repaired" before?

Holy Cow! :eek:

We've had some side stands break the pivot bolt, but breaking the mount off the frame is a new one to me. There appears to be a fair amount of corrosion in that area on your bike and the weld looks rather dicey. Perhaps it was "repaired" before?

Yep, that don't look right at all.

That's what my boss said too when he came over and looked at it, he does some welding and said it was a horrible job but is going to have me bring it over so he can clean it up and do it right. It's sitting on the center stand for now until the rest of my repairs are completed

So my kickstand just decided to completely break off... smh:depressed::crying:

WOW,

please be aware that the 83 is known to crack/break the frame where the bottom of the rear shock support mounts to the side rails. With the amount of corrosion you have, you need to check this area very well before you ride. There is a writeup somewhere to add gussetts, but involves a tear down of the rear end.

Jason, I have dealt with the broken frame and will say, my frame looked a lot better than your's does. With that much rust in the frame, I would be scared to ride it. If it collapses, I hope you are going straight as it will drop down so far that you will scrape if you try to turn any.

You might want to think about a frame replacement.

RandyA

Link to my frame fix. http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1521

That's what my boss said too when he came over and looked at it, he does some welding and said it was a horrible job but is going to have me bring it over so he can clean it up and do it right. It's sitting on the center stand for now until the rest of my repairs are completed

I have an 86 frame that I will part with cheap. Have a title from Virginia that hasn't been transferred to my name.

Gary

WOW,

please be aware that the 83 is known to crack/break the frame where the bottom of the rear shock support mounts to the side rails. With the amount of corrosion you have, you need to check this area very well before you ride. There is a writeup somewhere to add gussetts, but involves a tear down of the rear end.

Jason, I have dealt with the broken frame and will say, my frame looked a lot better than your's does. With that much rust in the frame, I would be scared to ride it. If it collapses, I hope you are going straight as it will drop down so far that you will scrape if you try to turn any.

You might want to think about a frame replacement.

RandyA

Link to my frame fix. http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1521

Thanks for the advice guys, with everything going wrong with it right now, I'm really apprehensive about riding it. I definitely don't want to take a chance on wrecking! Thank you!

• 2 years later...

I just replaced mine on my 83 Yamaha venture 1200. It is regular right hand thread and a good easy out should do the trick. My pin that fell out was laying right there on the bottom of the case, my guess is yours probably fell down the hole and into the pan. Probably more work to take off the pan than it is worth. I don't think it can cause any problems in the pan.