IGNORED

Clutch piston

I'm looking for a little info about replacing the clutch slave on a first generation venture. The disc I have is a little unclear..Says, when removing side cover be sure not to allow lubricant to leak out???/ doesn't tell me a procedure!!!!!!!!!Does anyone know what I'm dealing with? My clutch slave is leaking and I'd like to replace it?///

The only way to NOT have the oil leak out of the middle gear when you pull the cover is to have the bike leaning to the right. I've put a piece of wood underneath the left side of the center stand to get it to lean to the right. I'm thinking that I used a 3/4 or 1" piece, but you'll have to experiment with the size. Put the bike on the center stand/ rock it to the right and have a helper place the wood under the stand. You also can just pull the cover with the bike on the center stand--you will only loose a little engine oil and you can just top it up after you run the bike.

BTW, this leaning the bike to the right isn't in the manual, but it's the kind of help that's available if you spend $12 and joint this great site!!!

Frank D.

If your not comfortable tilting the bike, just put an oil pan under the cover and let the oil drip into it. Then replace as stated above. Also, the bolt at the 6 o'clock position has a copper washer under the head and when you remove this bolt the oil will seep out. Make sure this bolt goes back in the same place, as it seals the cover and prevents the oil from leaking out of the engine.

When you remove the cover, you will also need to unclip the wires, and move out of the way, to allow the slave unit to drop out.

Jim

As I recall getting the slave out was almost as much fun as changing the spark plugs PITA! But when done what do you guys use in place of a gasket to keep the oil in? I used Permatex form a gasket but some of the crankcase walls are so thin that the bead of permatex wouldn't stay on long enough to get the case cover sealed down effectively and so every since I have a little spot on the floor where I park the bike. Nothing like the spot on the floor where the car with the leaky rear main seal parks mind you! but it does seep bad enough to make taking the cover back off and resealing it if anybody has an effective solution I would appreciate it!

As I recall getting the slave out was almost as much fun as changing the spark plugs PITA! But when done what do you guys use in place of a gasket to keep the oil in? I used Permatex form a gasket but some of the crankcase walls are so thin that the bead of permatex wouldn't stay on long enough to get the case cover sealed down effectively and so every since I have a little spot on the floor where I park the bike. Nothing like the spot on the floor where the car with the leaky rear main seal parks mind you! but it does seep bad enough to make taking the cover back off and resealing it if anybody has an effective solution I would appreciate it!

I used a new gasket.

When I rebuilt the clutch slave cylinder on my 89 VR, I drained the oil out of the bottom bolt hole on the cover. This is just engine oil as the transmission and engine share the same oil. I wouldnt worry about the little amount of oil that comes out but be aware there is a washer on the bottom bolt that helps to seal the opening. I would have a new gasket for when you did this and it will need to be replaced also.

Getting the cylinder out can be a pain but take you time and work it around and it will come out. If I recall correctly it drops out the bottom but it takes a bit. You can order a rebuild kit for it or a new complete unit I believe. Rebuilding it wasnt that hard and it what I did on mine and it has been leak free for 5 years now.

There is also a manual for the 1st Gens here in the tech section if that helps you out also.

Good luck and ask the group if you are unsure of anything.

Rick F.

I replaced my slave cylinder and did not remove the side cover to the best of my recollection. Just had to bend that wire holder way out of the way and then play with the unit until it dropped out. Going in was a lot easier !! Is my memory wrong ? Do you have to remove the side cover ? :confused24: