IGNORED

Suggestions for quick and inexpensive HP on a 98 RSTD

Hey everyone. I'm a newbie to bikes (and bike forums). Purchased my first last month, a 98 RSTD. Already I'm addicted to riding and can tell this bike has more potential for HP. Purchased it totally stock so I am starting from scratch. Stock on this bike is great but I like to tinker with things and can't seem to leave well enough alone:)

Any suggestions on "first things to upgrade"?

Thanks!!!

• 6 months later...

quickest gain in performance is a DYNA box it changes the factory times curves and move the redline up a bit. Makes all the difference. I always hated the "Stumble" in first gear right as i was ready to shift... Moved the shift point from around 36 to 41 mph and all other gears moved up accordingly.

Don't get gready though if you move the red line up too far you run into other problems. By the time i was done I had the Dyna, rejetted carbs, new exhaust, new valve springs, head gaskets surface gap plugs and who know what else... the issue is every little change affects something else. So make small changes and see what happens

There is what is known as a "big foot" mod to the air box that some say helps, but be careful as getting too much air into these motors can be counter productive.

Please explain...............???

98's had smaller carbs anyway.............

here a link to Barons big air mod for original Royals.

http://www.baronscustom.com/catalog/display/254/index.html

If you are interested I have a word file from the original ISRA web site that details the BOG FOOT mod, it is a bit more involved than just adding the Baron's kit.

Email me at stevemarilyn@hotmail.com and I will send you a copy.

Edited by M61A1MECH
added additional info

Well, you could install V-max cams and stiffer valve springs. Change out the 28mm Mikuni carb and install a 32mm Mikuni from the Venture. Dyna ignition module, and a v-max rear drive, and upgraded clutch.The bigger carbs require a little bit of modifications to the airboxes and other things but makes all the difference.

Had this done to my 1998 Royal Star Tour Classic and that bike simply says: I gotta go, I gotta go, I gotta go, I gotta go,,,,,,,,,,,,, The power increase is amazing.

Here is a link to some of these modifications:

http://venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=4735

I've looked at the Big Foot Mod and I've looked at this Tubeless Intake Mode:

http://home.comcast.net/~tankerhank/site/?/page/Tubeless_Intake_Mod/&PHPSESSID=10230ee863099d68a1877bddc19cec5f

The one thing I don't know about the Big Foot Mod, can you then remove the filter pods one each side? If so its much easier than trying to make the ABS intake tubes.

Quick and inexpensive was the title.....................not very inexpensive.

The Dyna 3000 will run you about $234.00

VMax gears $300.00

Big Foot Mod $345.00

The rest is more, depends what you want to use it for. I have a 1999 RSTD besides my 2006 Venture. I plan on doing the Dyna and VMax gears, this will give me enough power for what I want to do with mine. I'm not up to putting thousands of dollars in it to make it into a newer RSTD. I would just buy a newer one.

Good luck with your decision.

I've looked at the Big Foot Mod and I've looked at this Tubeless Intake Mode:

http://home.comcast.net/~tankerhank/site/?/page/Tubeless_Intake_Mod/&PHPSESSID=10230ee863099d68a1877bddc19cec5f

The one thing I don't know about the Big Foot Mod, can you then remove the filter pods one each side? If so its much easier than trying to make the ABS intake tubes.

the big foot mod is for the 96-01 standard royals that has the 28mm carbs, the air box sits on top of the carbs not like the newer 05-up tds and 99-up ventures. some cut open the air box and some put the 4 pod filters on, one on each carb. you can come out cheaper with cutting out the air box and buying just the 8 jets to change out the idle and main jets.

http://forums.delphiforums.com/royalstar/start you can find the article on it here.

tankerhank, has done both, and he also did away with the lowers on his venture. he's a member on here and host the Delphi forum and he has a step x step how to somewhere, you may want to ask him about it. he also put a venture motor on his 98? royal and delt with all the changes that needs to be made in doing it.

Before spending extra money on this bike. Consider, Its allready Over 90 HP !!!

Your bike has plenty of HP !!!

More HP, then 90 percent of the Harley's on the road !! Very few of them can outrun a Venture !!!!

May I suggest just tuneing it up, a new set of tires, and an AGM dry cell battery.

And !!

Go rideing !!! Spend your money on lots of Fuel !!!!!

You can also exchange the rear end out for one from a V-max that will help it perfom better, does not "increase the HP", but does make what is there more usable.

++1 on that. Probably the most bang for the buck right there!

and getting it tuned-up properly.

Before spending extra money on this bike. Consider, Its allready Over 90 HP !!!

Your bike has plenty of HP !!!

I respectfully disagree with you on the HP rating , my recollection is that the original Royal Stars were only pushing 79 HP at the crank and as such somewhat less at the rear wheel. Still enough to get you down the road in not to shabby a manner.

Now am old and my memory is not what it was at one time, so feel free to challenge what I said, but I will check for additional resources to see if I can back up my statement.