IGNORED

valve shim bank

pegscraper

For those who check their own valve clearances and occasionally need a different size shim, how about the idea of someone on the board here running a valve shim bank, where unneeded sizes could be traded in for a needed size, with the only cost being shipping? These things cost a lot new, and I figure there have to be some laying around not needed by one guy that another guy could use. Thoughts? Yay? Nay?

I have a Shim kit with various sizes. Its free for use to members here. All I ask is that you add a couple of shims and put your old changed out shims in it when you use it, and pay shipping charges. It has the tool in the kit. Right now KYCAVEMAN has it. If you want to use it PM me and I'll tell him to ship it to you.

The last time I did mine, I asked the local Y dealer if they would trade shims. The head mechanic said no, because they wear down. They can run their business however they want, but I've never heard tell anywhere of one showing wear.

Well it looks we already have someone basically running a shim bank. I didn't know about it, and I've been around here for a while. How is a new guy supposed to find out?