IGNORED

Finally home !

Barrycuda

finally arrived at home and wouldn't ya know, there are T storms here also:sick::shock3::sick::shock3:

Door to door was 1,911 miles., Almost 3/4 were rain, and or fog..Most ever for me prior was a weekend of 750 miles with the Vulcan. Thanks to all who made my trip an exciting happy experience. Hope to see some of you again when time allows. ride safe...

Barry

T storms. Thats nothing sure they had 58cm,s of snow 100 kms (60miles) from me on Saturday

Keith

I agree its not the same, but its daunting never the less... Both of us have nothing on what's going on in Oklahoma. So in this instance , I'll take the rain, AND snow

So your home. Its allways nice to go, but good to get back safe and sound too. Youll have to tell me your thoughts now on your RSV as a touring bike. It will interesting. Hope you liked it.

Barry, glad to hesr you got home safe, rain sucks, but I bet it was not cold. What do you think of the Venture now after your trip? did you get the risers and grip puppies on before you left?

One thing I overlooked mentioning is those BEST EM bags are fantastic! Easy to load and carry.

The risers didn't fit properly so I adjusted the bars a tad bit lower and it makes a difference. The risers were too large and I need all the turning radio us I can have. Naturally the grip puppies came Friday, but I was already on the road.

As for the venture...it handled all aspects of terrain, weather without so much as a hiccup. Never once did it bog down, stall, quit, get water logged etc. cruise control was great and the tires hugged the road fine. After riding almost 2000 miles, she's a keeper. That and I had eusa1/ Mike diamond cut the fins, so she's gotta stay now. I would like to know if you or any of our Florida members have experience with valves, carbs etc. I would like to spend some time learning ow to take off and put on and fix things. Things such as air filters, carb tune, fuel filters, oil filters, windshield and fairing. I don't have much to offer at the moment but lunch and drinks would be on me. As well as my gratitude. Anyone? Bueller, anyone?

Barry glad you got home safe. Now that you have your first meet under your belt with this great group Im sure we will see you again. It was great meeting you. By the way Im the tall guy from Missouri. How can some one not remember the most common name in the world. John Smith ( just busting your ****'s) You met a lot of people. I still cant remember all the people I have met. lol Hope to see you down the road.

John

So your home. Its allways nice to go, but good to get back safe and sound too. Youll have to tell me your thoughts now on your RSV as a touring bike. It will interesting. Hope you liked it.

I was impressed with its handling in the bad weather and after a few nervous moments, settle in to find the bike just handles all situations fairly well. My lack of experience riding the RSV as well as the gradient and terrain made it harder with the rain storms. That said...the bike handled well and felt confident the bike would take me to and from. My only complaint is that the fuel gauge bar isn't accurate. With 2 bars remaining, it had the fuel light on, therefor couldn't rely on that to be accurate. Is that all RSV or just this one. Is there am easy/ moderate fix to keep it more accurate. Getting stranded in the rain in Kentucky wouldn't have been fun.

Yea not real familiar with the gas gauge on this and how it reads yet either. I did some fine tuning on the 900 Vulcan as it was notoriously off. I have sort of learned to live with this one. On the Kawasaki I installed an adjustable resistor and tuned it to where the gauge read correctly. Dont know if the same thing could be done for this one or not. Probably aint worth it. I'm bad about setting the gauge back to the clock after fill up and zeroing out. Then it seems I'm suprissed to find the gauge is in the countdown mode. LOL Guess what I need to do on trips is just leave the trip gauge showing so I know how many miles I have went.

I havent done the valves on this bike but the FJ I had is very simular and actually uses the same shims. Valve check is 26K I'm looking into a carb gauge to. Spotted a couple on CL for decent money. I'll shoot ya a PM. Basic mechanical skills we can get ya going. Oil changes are simple and can save you some $$ Most all the PM (preventive maintenance) is simple and good piece of mind you KNOW its been done.

Glad you had a uneventful trip unlike some in Wy. Geeze.

Barry

I have a carb tune I can help you with a carb synch, never tore into the carbs or valves on this bike, but can help if you want to pull the air boxes and check / change the filters, oil change, fuel filter change.

The fuel gauge is a little iffy, mine has never been consistant as to when the low fuel light or coundown meter comes on. I use it as a reminder, and usally wait until it starts to stumble and go to reserve, there you have about .75 gallon left, which should get you another 30 miles down the road if you need to go that far. I find I need a break to stretch before I get really low on fuel, and normally gas up during a stretch break.

Yup Steve about the same gauge I use when I'm on the road. A couple hours and I'm ready for a strech and I happen to look at the gauge/light and usually I'm pretty close. Seems sometimes I'm 170 range and maybe next is closer to 190. I dunno :confused24: It dont bug me as bad as the gal that probably just cut me off texting and sipping her starbucks while yelling at the kid in the backseat and applying eye makeup. Sometimes ya just gotta pick your battles I guess.

Barry glad you got home safe. Now that you have your first meet under your belt with this great group Im sure we will see you again. It was great meeting you. By the way Im the tall guy from Missouri. How can some one not remember the most common name in the world. John Smith ( just busting your ****'s) You met a lot of people. I still cant remember all the people I have met. lol Hope to see you down the road.

John

Ha ha...that's a great name. Sad part is big guy, I never knew your name, I must not have heard it...that's you, yes. Was good to be part of your weekend and thanks for your friendship. See ya soon and check those tires...

Barry

I have a carb tune I can help you with a carb synch, never tore into the carbs or valves on this bike, but can help if you want to pull the air boxes and check / change the filters, oil change, fuel filter change.

The fuel gauge is a little iffy, mine has never been consistant as to when the low fuel light or coundown meter comes on. I use it as a reminder, and usally wait until it starts to stumble and go to reserve, there you have about .75 gallon left, which should get you another 30 miles down the road if you need to go that far. I find I need a break to stretch before I get really low on fuel, and normally gas up during a stretch break.

Mine did stumble in Georgia yesterday and was able to make it to the station. In the future, I will know to switch it to reserve when I starts. I set the trip odometer 2 to follow my miles. Fornpeaceofbmind I have been refueling at the 2 nd bar on the gauge and that's about 150 miles , depending on the speed.

Steve, yes, lets get together for a ride and to show me some things. Thanks for your help.

Usually run mine until it stumbles then flip the reserve petcock. I seldom see the light for some reason. But the light and the stumbling (running out in main tank) dont happen at same time. The light and the coundown meter are connected I think. So when the light comes on it counts down. Its usually about 10 more miles before it has to be flipped to reserve.

Of course I know me. If I made it to where it was one bar and that was it, I would probably ride it down to that and then go "oh crap". He atleast we got a reserve, my Kawasaki was FI and no reserve so if it coughed you were in big trouble.