IGNORED

Front Wheel Chock

Freebird

This would be great for oil changes and etc. if you don't have nor want a center stand. I actually have one of these on my trailer. Mine is a home made one but works great. I have it out of the trailer right now and plan to try it in the garage. No reason it won't work the same as this one.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-wheel-chock/steady-stand/

I bought the Condor front chock a few months back at the bike show after having lusted after it for a couple of years. It is all aluminum and very nice, but I have mixed feelings about it for the RSV.

http://www.condor-lift.com/product.asp?ItemID=1001

The front tire is just too big for ease of use or stability (even that one you linked to above says max tire size is 130). I also found that even with rubber covers on the feet, it will not stay still on a smooth garage floor to roll the RSV onto it unless you can brace it with something between the wall and the stand. The problem is again that fat front tire of ours - it has to go up too high to get over the center of gravity on the pivot point. Finally, the RSV is NOT steady by itself when in this chock! It initially seems so, but if the front tire is even the slightest bit turned, then after about 5 minutes you can begin to see a slight list in the bike one way or the other. If you don't do something about it, the bike will eventually slowly fall over! Buyer beware.

Goose

Hi Don,

I made my own too. Just used some scrap pieces I had around the shop. I've got a double wide one on the back of my '46 Chev truck and a single one in the bike trailer. I saw one at a local bike shop that looked home made and they were asking $200 for them. I knew I could do better than that.

My experience with the Condor is the same as V7Goose. I don't trust it to hold the bike upright by itself. I had it start to tilt slowly once, and luckily caught it in time. I contacted Condor, and they sent me a new wheel chock part, but that did not correct the problem. As a result, I never use it alone - I just don't trust it. What I do use it for, however, is when I have to trailer the bike. With the front wheel in, and the sides tied down, the bike is solid.

Like he said, buyer beware.

I purchase one form Harbor Freight, Paid around $35.00 with the 15% Harbor Freight coupon. Have not installed it yet. May have to do a little modification, not sure yet. But for 35 dollars I'll see how it works out. It has to be better then the cheep-o I have in the trailer now, ya- I paid $25.00 for the cheep-o.

I don't think I would every trailer any bike with out striping it down, chock or no chock and all those low G tie downs on a large top heavy bike won't work either. I tryed to tell a friend that when he borrowed my trailer. Ended up with some holes in the trailer. I believed from low G tie downs on a top heavy bike. I do use heaver strips in the front now with a smaller safety strip in the front also. I have never had a bike come loose.

Harbor Freight

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?function=Search

MOTORCYCLE WHEEL CHOCK

Chock moves up automatically, securing wheel in place.

Makes it easy for one person to strap down motorcycle

Mounts securely to truck, trailer, or floor

Quick and easy

Fits most motorcycles

13-5/16" high; Rugged 7 gauge base plate; All hardware included

ITEM 96349-2VGA $39.99

I've got the Harbor Freight Chock. Put it on my Harbor Freight Lift. Like others wrote, the tire is almost too wide even for this chock. It'll go in but not seat quite like it should. You still need to strap the bike down. It's major advantage is that one person can do the whole job by themselves. Don't need some one to strap the bike down while you sit on it to keep it upright. I'm going to go with the 130 tire when I change them and hope there'll be a big difference.

Steve

Freebird,

Where did you get the Acebikes steady stand. I could not find it in the US in a Google search.

The similar stand at Harbor Freight doesn't appear to be in their catalog anymore.

Looked at the Condor recently, but don't like the $200+ price.

Any suggestions? Looking for something I can use to hold the bike in the garage for service or parking, and on the trailer for loading and tying down.

Back in the day , I made a stand out of 2 x's . Took a 2 x 8 the length of the bike with a small block of wood as a stop for the front wheel , and a 2 x 4 x 5' with eye bolts on the ends to place ratchet straps to hook to . Bolted or screwed the 2 x 4 under the 2 x 8 like a cross , pushed the scoot on top of the 2 x 8 till it hit the small block and placed the ratchet straps on the scoot to secure like if I were tying down on a trailer . This held the scoot upright as I worked on it . Call it poor-boy , but it worked !

BEE30