IGNORED

Need repair in Florida

Hi, it's been a while since I've been here. I own an 87 and have decided to bite the bullet and seek professional help. No, not for my mental health although I can use that too. I live in the Clearwater Florida area and need some advice on a reputable mechanic in my area. I think it's carb related. So if anyone is from this area and can refer me to someone within 20 miles or so it would help me out. Or if someone lives in my area and has the knowledge and skill to fix it I am willing to compensate you. Thanks.

Thanks for the offer. About 3 years ago I tried repairing it myself. Pulled the carbs and tried to rebuild them, changed the plugs, cleaned up the ignition system. It ran better but still didn't have the power it did previously, poor gas mileage, some backfiring. Never sure if it was firing on all 4 cylinders.

Now it's worse again and I want to get it checked by someone with more ability then me but I don't know where to take it. There's a Yamaha dealer not far from me called Cycle Springs Powersports but I don't know if they're any good with these 1st generations.

I've only been riding it occasionally mostly because of the way it runs but I want it to run good again. I may be expecting too much from a 26 year old bike but I'm very attached to it and don't want to give up on it.

Before my son was born, my wife and I would ride all over the country. Having a child changed our vacations to family events. Well, he is off to college in the fall and I want to resume where we left off 18 years ago but I need to determine if it's repairable or if it's time to move on.

DO NOT go to Cycle Springs I took a bike there and they wanted to tear it apart after taking it for a ride they couldn't figure out what the sound was in the rear end. I thought it was the tire. They had a guy about maybe 20-25 years old take it for a ride and he heard the noise but had no clue as to what it was. They wanted to tear the rear end apart. I went for a run to Brooksville the next weekend and stopped by Barneys and they confirmed my suspicions it was the rear tire I replaced the rear tire NOISE GONE. Call me I'll give ya couple Ideas as to what you can do.

Barney's are pretty ok, you may try them. Also on Tampa bay CL, go on the motorcycle link, there is a guy advertising mobile carb service. I can not ouch for any of his experience, but maybe just bounce a we idea,s and see if he can troubleshoot on the cheap. Then cross reference with those already giving you suggestions... I do live closer on you, however I do not have carb experience and have no first gen, for that matter much 2nd gen knowledge ( yet)

Barry

when you are ridding is the bike always backfiring on accelaration or on decel?:detective:

Mostly on decel but will pop back through the carb intake under load like going uphill. Believe only running on 3 cylinders but not sure how to check. Would really like to find a local who knows what he's doing but doesn't seem to exist. Not thrilled about the idea of pulling the carbs again and guessing at the problem.

DO NOT go to Cycle Springs I took a bike there and they wanted to tear it apart after taking it for a ride they couldn't figure out what the sound was in the rear end. I thought it was the tire. They had a guy about maybe 20-25 years old take it for a ride and he heard the noise but had no clue as to what it was. They wanted to tear the rear end apart. I went for a run to Brooksville the next weekend and stopped by Barneys and they confirmed my suspicions it was the rear tire I replaced the rear tire NOISE GONE. Call me I'll give ya couple Ideas as to what you can do.

Thanks for the offer and I'll be in touch.

The easiest way to see if it is running on all 4 is to feel the headers.

Just remove the side covers before you start it up (easier to reach) and when it starts, feel all 4 headers. Don't wait too long because they get HOT!

If one is not firing up, it will be noticeably cooler. It will warm up....but much more slowly than the rest.

Easy way on finding a dead cylinder. Take a crayon and make a mark on the heaer pipe by cyl. Start and run bike, if crayon melts off its firing, if stays same color no fire. Then start looking at coils or maybe a plug. Saves the didgits from getting burned too!

Drain the gas as best you can out of the tank. Get 5 gal or so and put fresh in. Shoot even if you get a couple of gallons of fresh, but get the old stuff out. then directions say 1oz seafoam per gallon. Up it a little to 1.5 maybe. If you go double I have heard some say it will foul plugs up. But new gas and sea foam is probably the easiest and cheapest way to start. Make sure you got fie on all cyl and make a visual of the vacuum lines to carbs to make sure all are connected and not broken.

i have the same problem. been trying firgue it out for a year. ordered new tci though dingy in the club. still waiting on the new one to arrive. i have to date; done a valve job,replaced two coils,replaced spark plug wires{all 4} replaced boost sensor,replaced pickup coil built carbs,replaced fuelfilter and pump and bought used tci on ebay. still have same problem. hoping new tci will fix the problem. #1 cylinder is not fire on my bike. everything is pointing to tci box. hope to have in hand this week. will keep you informed of progess. as far as shop in florida i can not help you there because i live in Alabama. i do have agreat tuner have in pelham. His name is Wayne Tripp of Power Tripp Performance in Alabaster Al. he has dyno in his shop and really knows his tuning and performance. i have good feeling about his and Garys help with my bike. i will let you know soon,:080402gudl_prv:

Had an 87 a few years back with similar situation. Did all the usual stuff to it, carb cleaning, rebuild, wiring check, spark plugs and so on. Finally figured out that the left rear carb was getting grit in it from deteriorating fuel lines. Caused that one carb to screw up the float bowl and drain raw gas into the cylinder causing back firing and poor running condition. Replaced all fuel lines from tank to carbs and the problem disappeared. Of course had to remove carbs again and clean them. Got real good at that task.