IGNORED

Spybot problem

I installed Spybot awhile back and my frustration is running over. On almost everything I open, whether it is ebay, paypal or many other common sites, I get the box popup that tells me that it may be a bad site. I have to go through the allow routine and it does not matter if I check always allow a particular site or what ever, it KEEPS coming up. To find something and pay for it I will have to go through this process over and over again.

I looked at uninstalling Spybot, but you have to go through all the stuff in the immunization and quarantine section and I am not sure what to purge.

Any suggestions?

RandyA

I installed SpyBot on my computer a year or so ago. I found the program to be extremely intrusive and controlling. I suspected it of deleting or quarantining some necessary files that caused problems. My final decision was to uninstall the entire program, replace the missing files and have had no further trouble of that nature.

You need to be very familiar with the file structure of your machine and the registry hierarchy to properly control this program. There are other "computer cleaning and repair" programs that will delete shared files and "suspicious" entries causing problems.

I have successfully been using Norton 360 and System Mechanic for several years without difficulty. SpyBot seemed to be too aggressive when making registry changes and identifying programs as malware. My suggestion would be to uninstall as much of the program as possible. Revo Uninstall is a shareware program that will clean out most of the lingering registry entries that remain after the program self uninstall. Be careful when selecting the depth of the registry inspection. The medium setting has proven to be the most effective with low risk.

Good luck with whatever choice you make.

:fingers-crossed-emo

Guest tx2sturgis

Try Google Chrome, see if it still does all the irritating stuff.:smash2: If not, use Chrome to do your business transactions, and use IE for all the 'iffy' places and casual surfing.

Or...load up Linux. ( I know, I sound like a broken record)

:smile5:

Open up Explorer and browse to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc

In there is a file called "hosts" with no extension.

Open that with notepad.

Find and remove the sites you want to access.

Close and save the file.

See if that works. I have not had to do this so not sure if it will help but, but I do know that Spybot S&D puts all the web locations in there.

There is a program (free) called REVO UNINSTALLER. I've used it for several years. It works like this.

You download it and install it. When You have a program/software that you want to remove, run REVO. It will first use the programs own uninstall routine then it will do it's own search for pieces of the program that are left on your computer. Almost (I'd actually say all of them) programs uninstall routines will leave hooks, bits and pieces of itself in the registry. REVO gives you the option of selecting from several levels of search and remove. I use the third (moderate) level. It may take a few minutes to complete some steps of registry search and deletion but it does a VERY thorough job, and has never harmed my registry.

There is only one thing to watch out for when using REVO, the window(s) that pop up with the messages that things are being done sometimes hide other windows/messages and the computer will sit there forever waiting for an input that you do not even see and therefore don't answer. Simply select and slide the message windows out of the central portion of the monitor screen so that you can see what may or may not be behind the window. At the end of the process it will (if necessary) present a couple of windows with directory trees that may need to be removed. You will have the option to select and delete them. I have never NEVER found any of these to be incorrect.

One other thing, some programs do not provide a normal link to the uninstall routine and REVO will therefore not "see" the program.

Do a Google search or look on CNET for the latest version, download it and give it a try. It's free, does not have NAG screens and while there is a paid version, you are not likely to need it. The free version is quite satisfactory.

Randy,

I was getting an old laptop read to take with me to Don's MD. Anyway I was trying to remove some software and having some problems. I remembered I had found a solution a while back from Microsoft. They no longer support this program but I was able to locate and down load a copy of it off the net. The program is MSICUU2.EXE. Download a copy of the program and save it to the My Documents folder. Then run the program. It will install it in the program folders. Left click on the START button and under all programs you will find a Microsoft uninstaller. Run this and it will show a popup of all installed programs and let you delete ones you do not want any more.

Hope this helps.