IGNORED

Trike question

I am still trying to come up with the money to do a Hannigan Conversion. - (I had planned on getting it done last Fall)

Anyway, it occured to me today, will I also have to have the steering modified - extra cost?

Craigr

You don't have to but I highly recommend having it done. You'll be glad in the end if you do. Having the raked tree sure makes steering a whole lot easier and will be less tiring on you at the end of the day. Also I feel that having the tree raked for a trike stabilizes the front helping prevent what is called head shake.

I know others who have forgone the raked trees and eventually had it done and wondered why they didn't do it in the first place.

But don't just take my word for it as I'm sure other trikers here will be putting in their :2cents: worth soon enough.

Larry

Local Hannigan dealer installed Steer-Lite on our RSV.

Steer-Lite Kit-6 degree (decreases steering effort by 60%) $995.00

Installation of Steer Lite $395.00

NOTE: Handlebar lock is removed as part of installation. We use a rotor lock instead.

You can save a little money by having the conversion done at the Hannigan factory! If I recall I saved around $2000. Of course I spent a thousand on a trailer and the other thousand on gas, lodging, and dining but we had a nice vacation, went to Nashville, and met some really nice local VR members while down there. Even had one member actually lend me his RSV for the day!!!

The savings comes from the extra cost of Hannigan shipping the kit to your local dealer. There is freight and crate costs involved...

You can save a little money by having the conversion done at the Hannigan factory! If I recall I saved around $2000. Of course I spent a thousand on a trailer and the other thousand on gas, lodging, and dining but we had a nice vacation, went to Nashville, and met some really nice local VR members while down there. Even had one member actually lend me his RSV for the day!!!

The savings comes from the extra cost of Hannigan shipping the kit to your local dealer. There is freight and crate costs involved...

Yep that was what I did as well.

Leo, On our steer lite there are holes in the top tree that DO allow us to use the stock steering lock. Our kit was installed in late 2010.

Hmm... Maybe because I expressed my displeasure... Stinks... Anxious to see other trikes at MD.

• 1 month later...
Leo, On our steer lite there are holes in the top tree that DO allow us to use the stock steering lock. Our kit was installed in late 2010.

Jay, We met Bob and Becky this week, and we looked at their steering lock mechanism. Bob demonstarted how his locked, and I saw the holes in the tree. Took a look at our trike today, and it is the same. Can lock handlebars in either direction. Wonder why our dealer did not know that? :) Anyway, mystery solved. Thanks everyone!

Guest tx2sturgis
You can save a little money by having the conversion done at the Hannigan factory!............The savings comes from the extra cost of Hannigan shipping the kit to your local dealer. There is freight and crate costs involved...

+1:happy34:

Well, though I have confidence in my local Hannigan Dealer, I am leaning towards riding my bike to Hannigan and having them do it. Then renting a Car while it is being converted to see the local sights, etc. then riding the Trike back home. I wiould also have them install a hitch so I can pull my Bushtech Trailer also.

I am hoping to do this come August / September.

Craigr

Cool Craigr. You won't be disappointed with your plans. We'll be in the area the weekend of the 10 to 13th. Meeting up with the B2 folks then riding with them & the Aussies on to the Vogel rally. If you're having the trike done during this time period we'll meet you. Or maybe after returning from the Vogel rally on the 18th. :080402gudl_prv:

Larry

Somthing just occured to me.... If I drive it down to the Factory to have it done, I will still have to pay to have my old parts shipped back home.

But, I'm sure that shipping wouldn't be all that much. - Just something else to fugure in.

Where is the Factory, I don't remember?

craigr

Leaving the Bags home is a good thought. But I'm sure the wife will want to load the Trailer with things for the Week away from home.

What other spare parts will there be? I know the rear wheel, but otherr than that what is there?

craigr

And drive shaft and rear hub. and did we talk about rear tire and rim? :scratchchin:

Lots of weight there. I know.. Trailer the bike down wife can follow you home :D

and look at all the room for carrying all that huge stuff in the trailer !!!

There ya go! Bring bike down in trailer sans bags. Drive the trike home and let wife drive the cage home with the trailer behind...

We trailered the bike down, bought a big enough one for the trike to fit on it when done. All the luggage was in the cage. All the extra parts went onto trailer...