IGNORED

I Hate Wax !!

Guest Popeye

I went with Sharon to the store today...not optional, so was looking around at Wally's for bike stuff.

I washed my all black scoot on a freaky 68* last Monday.

Since wax melts off around here whenever scoot is in the sun, I looked at alternatives.

This is the 5th black scoot I've had in a row & I'm real tired of constant cleaning + waxing.

Most 'wax' goes on 'white'....and I really don't like that, either.

Today, I got some Polymer Protective Coating, made by "Mothers" & is called FX or FK...can't tell, but it's CLEAR & supposed to be way better than wax.

Cost about $6. for ~10 oz of clear liquid. Not supposed to melt away on a sunny day or leave any white spots.

Sure looks good. Can't be any more useless than wax.

Anyone know about this stuff??

Guest KitCarson

You can have your bike spotless.....and just go for an afternoon ride and it is dirty again.....if it rains.....you have to detail it again....used to live in the land of snow and ice.....salt and sludge.......There must be 1001 super products on the market.....and a few more thousand so called polymer finishes.....Bottom line is nothing has ever came close to plain old pledge furniture polish......use it regular and it even makes the bugs not stick on the windshield quite so bad....Pledge is good stuff. I also buy it at the dollar store......and those micro polish rags.....they get every bit of dust and dirt.

I went with Sharon to the store today...not optional, so was looking around at Wally's for bike stuff.

I washed my all black scoot on a freaky 68* last Monday.

Since wax melts off around here whenever scoot is in the sun, I looked at alternatives.

This is the 5th black scoot I've had in a row & I'm real tired of constant cleaning + waxing.

Most 'wax' goes on 'white'....and I really don't like that, either.

Today, I got some Polymer Protective Coating, made by "Mothers" & is called FX or FK...can't tell, but it's CLEAR & supposed to be way better than wax.

Cost about $6. for ~10 oz of clear liquid. Not supposed to melt away on a sunny day or leave any white spots.

Sure looks good. Can't be any more useless than wax.

Anyone know about this stuff??

I use FX all the time.. pretty good stuff and fairly cheap and easy to use.. What can I say, I'm lazy.. But it is not near as good a Zaino, when I'm not too lazy that is what I use.. It lasts much longer.

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=Z-AIO

ZAIO followed by Z-2 http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=Z-2

and then Z-7 http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=Z-2 next time you wash and you are set for months of serious protection.. you only have to do the ZAIO and Z-2 about every 6 to 8 months.

Don't know about the waxes and stuff but can tell you that I have used good old pledge on all my bikes. Where I used to work ,we flew the Lockheed Electra L188 to the Aleutians Islands and we ALWAYS used pledge on the props and NEVER had a problem with salt corrosion on the blades. Good enough for that good enough on the bike IMHO

Keeping that black beauty perfect is a real chore. A friend of mine who owns a detail shop told me about S-100 products. He says they are made for "motorcycle finishes". I dont know why a motorcycle would be different than a car, but whatever!

I waxed my bike yesterday with S-100, no white residue. It looks great. It is expencive a $16.00 a can. But who cares, It's my baby.:smile5:

So are you pledge users using it only on the windshield or the the painted body pieces as well..???

I think some of guys that use Pledge on their bikes must think they are made of wood!:scratchchin:

Well, maybe some of those older 1st Gens are:rotf:

Interesting comment on the use of Pledge. When I bought my bike I spent as lot of time cleaning it and it really cleaned up well. I used a Rain Dance cleaner that worked very well but took a lot of time. Even ended up getting good comments from my buddy who is a wing is the only bike in the world type of person.

Guest KitCarson
So are you pledge users using it only on the windshield or the the painted body pieces as well..???

The whole bike......is cleaned and polished with pledge.......nothing new....it has been used for years by experienced owners. Thing is pledge will not hurt anything.....safe for windshield.....paint.......everything. Some wax products and or armor-all........is tough on plastic......such as windshields and as some of it always gets trapped around the clutch and brake sightglasses.....is not long before they turn yellow.......with some waxes.....pledge simply does not hurt anything......and does a very good job on top of all that. I do wipe my seats down with armor-all......but very careful with that.......spray it on a rag first.......then carefully wipe the seat........get that stuff on plastic it is a goner............Clear plastic that is.....does not seem to hurt colored plastic.......maybe just cause you cannot see it!! If you have some exhausts that are a little stubborn.....McQuire I think it is called is a good one to clean up exhausts that have not been cleaned in ten years.

Never heard of wax melting and it gets hot down here. Ice works ok and leaves no white stuff but does take more buffing to get the streaks out. Pledge, yes it looks great but leaves a film that causes dust to stick so the beauty is short lived. Mothers FX is my choice with Honda Bright for spot cleaning between waxes.

Too Funny. I wasn't going to mention the Pledge thing [even generic] for the whole scoot & reveal my lazy scam for cleaning.

It is a bit cloudy on pure black finishes, but pure black never looks perfect when out of the garage. Dust, fingerprints, etc.

Can't even keep 'perfect' inside the garage, without a cover.

I keep gettin' Black bikes, though.

I'll use up my "Mothers FX Polymer", since i have it, & will report back on ease of cleaning.

I am hoping the dust will blow off at 40 mph, the bugs will fall off whenever I stop and any water will bead up for the entire season.

Can always HOPE.

I'll still buff my windshield with Pledge as it tosses water off well.

Only once did I use Armor All on the seat.

Seat was so slick I could hardly stay on.

I've spoke to folks who 'enjoy' cleaning/detailing their scoots. [??]

One needs free time & nice weather for that....same as riding...what a choice.

Last Monday was the 1st time I used a 200 mph leaf blower to dry the scoot....OH YEAH!!

I know what you mean about the white of wax. I also have a Chevy Avalanche with the Claddings. (Plastic Armor). That stuff is very sensitive and dont take kindly to the paste wax. The hot setup over there is the Turtle wax Called ICE. Apparently its silicone based and is clear so if you get it on the claddings it wont get all chalky. I guess the FX is the same type of thing. By the way on that vehicle Future floor wax is the big thing on the Claddings. Dont use that on paint thought.

My vote is for Pledge, I have used it for years it's great and is good and safe for all surfaces. Takes me about 2 beers and an hour to do the entire bike.

I used pledge back in 68 on the floors of my barracks room and my shoes and boots to make them shine like no tomorrow. Always looked good at inspection time. These were the days BEFORE coraframe shoes (spelling).

• 3 months later...